Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:10:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693812
  • Total Topics: 118556
  • Online Today: 829
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Arab or Turkish pirate ship.  (Read 2778 times)

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
Arab or Turkish pirate ship.
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:28:09 PM »
Good afternoon Gentlemen,

I have decided to try and put together something a little diffrent. I want to build an Arabic pirate crew around the three beautiful female Arabic figures from Figone. I have already started to assemble a crew, but I need a vessel. I know that Old Glory makes a Turkish Galley, but I have two of the beautiful Dixon ships and I really want something of a similar quality for my Arab ladies. Ideally I would like to find something like this.

I am willing to modify a plastic or wooden model if you have one to recommend. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
Re: Arab or Turkish pirate ship.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 09:44:54 PM »
Neither of the latter two options is cheap and both would require work to build and convert to a tabletop ship, but both could look amazing:

http://www.heller.fr/en/maquettes/scale-sailboats-model-classic/174-chebec-3279510808964.html
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/corel_mistique.html

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 10:09:02 PM »
Thanks, I had seen the Heller ship before and thought it was quite nice. The French Xebec is even better, a real stunner. I just have one problem, my Dixon Man of War is 43 cm long, the Heller ship is 100 cm and the Xebec is 88. I have always thought that the Dixon ship was too small for scale, but wouldn't 88 cm be two big for gaming purposes? It would make a kick ass diorama though.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:12:39 PM »
since you don't need that much rigging and planking I would not suggest a wooden model sailing boat, out of the box and even yet to be crafted. Maybe - if it is not possible to get a whole one from some toystore or something - You can lay Your hands on a blueprint, and build the hulk of Your own. Also, since the hulk need no part below waterline, I assume.
Maybe that is even a bit cheaper. And if You have the blueprint You may easily scale it with computer and printer.

If You never have build a wooden model boat before, do not underestimate that part!
It is fun, but needs time to master and a hobby in its own rights. ;)

Imho, build the hulk according to the blueprint out of a massive piece of balsa-wood. Put in some masts and just a bit rigging according to chebec or dau rigging, depending. Full model-original rigging sure will get in the way while playing.

best wishes
DK

best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »
Thanks, I had some thought's along those line. I wonder if it would be possible to have something like that 3D printed?

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »
I wonder if it would be possible to have something like that 3D printed?

3D printed hulls for scratch building ships - I'd be very interested in that. In 15mm for me, but I guess scaling wouldn't be a problem with 3D printing?

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 01:29:36 PM »
I didn't see mention of scale,but playmobil or other toys come up cheap at carboots or Facebook selling sites.