Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 10:38:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 106186 times)

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #750 on: October 30, 2023, 06:13:52 PM »
Ah thanks, I knew you'd enjoy them! I've now been bitten by a weird compulsion to sculpt a Hobgoblin leader from the old 1st Edition rules - I forget his name, but he's got Chaos mutations with a mace tail and stuff. Probably never do it mind.

Gyurokinti, if I remember correctly. Oh, but you must!

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #751 on: October 30, 2023, 06:15:56 PM »
I don't: it's Gyokurinti the Strangler!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #752 on: October 30, 2023, 08:35:51 PM »
Which ones?

Mudat's (or depending were you look Mudak's) half orcs I have about 18 including the standard bearer and tue leader no musician or champion but I have a couple of C series slotta base half orcs I might just substitute for the missing command.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #753 on: October 30, 2023, 08:45:20 PM »
Mudat's (or depending were you look Mudak's) half orcs I have about 18 including the standard bearer and tue leader no musician or champion but I have a couple of C series slotta base half orcs I might just substitute for the missing command.

They're really nice models and pretty easy to paint, it's just the chopping and prep getting rid of the dodgy casting that's a ball ache at the beginning. The Champion is quite difficult to get hold of but the musician you'll probably grab relatively easily on eBay I reckon.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #754 on: October 30, 2023, 09:08:34 PM »
Oh man, they're bloomin' marvelous! I'm also a big fan of the old half-orcs and this bunch look particularly disreputable. I love the mixture of flesh tones (your painting of skin is always a treat). How you've managed to get three unique characters from the same monopose figure is pretty impressive.
Scraping in under the wire as usual, I present the Orctober offerings.

I hear that. I'm panic basing this evening!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 09:25:04 PM by Old Hob »

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #755 on: October 31, 2023, 07:24:06 AM »
They're really nice models and pretty easy to paint, it's just the chopping and prep getting rid of the dodgy casting that's a ball ache at the beginning. The Champion is quite difficult to get hold of but the musician you'll probably grab relatively easily on eBay I reckon.

I've already painted up the original solid base Groms Goblin Guard and I have Throg's Hobgoblin Despoilers. Along with Mudat's half orcs I hope to build Grom's army that fought the Dwarven wars ( as described in 2nd edition WFB) all three of those RoR along with Golfags Ogres fought under Grom.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #756 on: October 31, 2023, 08:36:07 AM »
I've already painted up the original solid base Groms Goblin Guard and I have Throg's Hobgoblin Despoilers. Along with Mudat's half orcs I hope to build Grom's army that fought the Dwarven wars ( as described in 2nd edition WFB) all three of those RoR along with Golfags Ogres fought under Grom.

Most excellent. Didn't Grom end up killing Mudat in the end because he was fed up with him changing sides?

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #757 on: October 31, 2023, 10:30:50 AM »
Most excellent. Didn't Grom end up killing Mudat in the end because he was fed up with him changing sides?

I believe so only so long you can get away with being a sneaky git. Meanwhile  Throg went on to lead his Hobgoblins in to the Darklands where he created his own Empire. The old Regiments of Renown were so cool.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #758 on: October 31, 2023, 11:04:23 AM »
Awesome once again. I admire your staying power cleaning them up.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 09:11:49 AM by hubbabubba »

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #759 on: November 02, 2023, 07:52:17 AM »
Cubs those half orcs are awesome. Earlier this year I pulled together a half orc mercenary contingent from the 3rd edition warhammer armies book using all citadel figures.
It Wasn't easy.
Once I had them painted (to a degree) I read the actual rules and realised how utterly crap they are on the table.
I really wish I'd collected hobgoblins now instead
Theres a lesson there.

Great painting cubs, truly inspirational.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #760 on: November 02, 2023, 09:28:49 AM »
Once I had them painted (to a degree) I read the actual rules and realised how utterly crap they are on the table.
I really wish I'd collected hobgoblins now instead

It's the reason I never collected them back in the day. Give me Orcs, Savage Orcs or Hobgoblins, with their fancy rules. Half Orcs did have assassins though and weren't subject to Animosity (I think) so that gave them some lustre, just not enough. I like the Oldhammer idea that the various races weren't actually at constant war with each other, but did have some interaction through trade or travel, if a fraught one at times. Half Orcs would often live in Old World human cities and could be found as mercenaries for various paymasters.   

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #761 on: November 07, 2023, 04:40:12 PM »
Right then. I've never sculpted a model from scratch before (though a fair few heavy conversions have taken place), so I'm leaping in at the deep end with no idea if I'm going right or wrong or how it will turn out. Any errors in proportion can be safely waved away as 'Chaos mutations'.

It begins.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #762 on: November 07, 2023, 05:30:30 PM »
I get the feeling that even if you end up sculpting an absolute turd, it'll still look wonderful once you've slapped some paint on it you talented barsteward.

Watching with interest.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #763 on: November 12, 2023, 05:20:20 PM »
Okay, starting to flesh out a basic musculature. I began with a blend of greenstuff and ordinary Milliput on the trunk, but found it too rough for my liking, so switched to greenstuff and Milliput Fine for the limbs. It's a damn sight harder than it looks this sculpting lark! I know what I want it to do, but somewhere between my brain, the sculpting tool and the putty it just won't do what I want. I'm hoping the details, a bit of liquid greenstuff and a paintjob will hide how right it is. The pose I like though, exactly what I was going for and I used an articulated artist's manikin to help me.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #764 on: November 12, 2023, 05:56:13 PM »
Coming on nicely!

Are you going to attempt the original's elaborate multi-horned helmet? That would be quite daunting, I'd have thought!