Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 10:20:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What happened to Warlord's Celt tattoo transfers & any alternatives?  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
I recall Warlord Games offering Celt/Pict rubdown tattoo transfers  - can't remember what these looked like - and there was some outcry, as they were blue, but could be rectified with a fine tipped black pen - better than doing freehand. lol Why are these no longer available? I need some for some 28mm heroic sized figures...

Any alternatives, either dry rubdown or wet transfer? I suppose, I could grab something via Google and print it out on inkjet transfer paper, but not confident about the results.     

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
Re: What happened to Warlord's Celt tattoo transfers & any alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 11:40:13 AM »
I had never heard of these before, but here is a 2008 thread about "dry rub woad transfers" from the Warlord Games Forum: http://www.warlordgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=292

Like some of the people posting at the time, I can't imagine how these would actually have worked in practice. Perhaps they didn't, and that is why they were discontinued. In any case, your best chance of getting an answer to your question probably would be it send to the WG staff directly: http://www.warlordgames.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=41 .

Edit: Cubs beat me to it!   lol

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:51:30 AM by A Lot of Gaul »
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 11:45:42 AM »
These were 'dry rub' tattoo transfers that were introduced by Warlord in late 2008 I think. Yeah, they do seem to have died a death. I seem to recall people saying they were all but impossible to actually apply to the models and perhaps in light of the numbers of complaints, they scrapped them.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline macgarns

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 09:39:12 PM »
Maybe you should try these from Haslefree minis :
http://hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=accessories~decals-%28tattoos%29

Cheers,
Fred
FRED

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 04:06:31 AM »
Maybe you should try these from Haslefree minis :
http://hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=accessories~decals-%28tattoos%29

Cheers,
Fred
None of those are even remotely "Celtic" in design and the figures, while fantastic, aren't pub yobs or hipster douches. lol

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 04:56:57 AM »
I had never heard of these before, but here is a 2008 thread about "dry rub woad transfers" from the Warlord Games Forum: http://www.warlordgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=292

Like some of the people posting at the time, I can't imagine how these would actually have worked in practice. Perhaps they didn't, and that is why they were discontinued. In any case, your best chance of getting an answer to your question probably would be it send to the WG staff directly: http://www.warlordgames.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=41 .

Edit: Cubs beat me to it!   lol

Cheers,
Scott
That thread was the first thing that came up in my Google search, but still can't find any images of the transfers. I'm waiting for the admin to email me a temporary password, as I haven't posted there since 2011 and neglected to update the email address.

I can imagine how these would work, but would end up frustrated...

No idea why Warlord went with dry rub, instead of wet, as the former works better with large scale vehicles. If I could find images or acquire a sheet or two, I could print them on transfer paper.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 05:02:28 AM »
These were 'dry rub' tattoo transfers that were introduced by Warlord in late 2008 I think. Yeah, they do seem to have died a death. I seem to recall people saying they were all but impossible to actually apply to the models and perhaps in light of the numbers of complaints, they scrapped them.
Would you know of any alternatives? Can't believe LBMS isn't offering any...

Offline Bishop Cockthrottle

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 08:08:09 AM »
Would you know of any alternatives? Can't believe LBMS isn't offering any...

The curved nature of bodies would make this very difficult.
Have you considered graphic paint pens if you can find them with fine enough nibs?

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 04:27:01 AM »
I have a sheet of the Warlord rub on transfers (minus 4 or so decals).  I found them very fiddly but if you would like to give it a try I can mail them to you.  PM me your address.
Tom
2024: B: 2220; P: 154; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 12:41:16 AM »
The curved nature of bodies would make this very difficult.
Have you considered graphic paint pens if you can find them with fine enough nibs?
How fine enough do the nibs need to be? Blick Arts is offering a variety of Japanese brands, like Derwent, but a common complaint is the tendency for these to clog. I think I have stencils with curves, but it'd be difficult to drawing on something three dimensional figure, especially since my hands occasionally shake or fingers stiffen up. :-[ 

Dry rub could also damage the paint layer, if applied too vigorously, which is why if I could get ahold of a sheet, I could scan and print in any color, onto transfer paper - have experience with transfers onto curved surfaces, like aircraft. 

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 12:43:25 AM »
Anyone remember Warlord's Celt shield stickers? I think they were trying to be creative...

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 12:44:10 AM »
I have a sheet of the Warlord rub on transfers (minus 4 or so decals).  I found them very fiddly but if you would like to give it a try I can mail them to you.  PM me your address.
Tom
Thanks and PM sent... :)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 05:03:39 AM »
Anyone remember Warlord's Celt shield stickers? I think they were trying to be creative...

Those peel and stick looked good enough. I gloss then matt sealed them but I have only had them on figures for a few months so not sure how they hold up. The Dacian warband about halfway down the thread has a mix of Warlord and LBMS decals.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=90203.msg1113961#msg1113961

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 05:21:59 AM »
Those peel and stick looked good enough. I gloss then matt sealed them but I have only had them on figures for a few months so not sure how they hold up. The Dacian warband about halfway down the thread has a mix of Warlord and LBMS decals.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=90203.msg1113961#msg1113961

Those look great and can't tell the difference between these and proper transfers. Once sealed with varnish and the edges painted, the stickers won't come off, even if the adhesive wears off. On his blog, Orlygg did something with inkjet paper and PVA, after scanning OOP decals: Arcane Armorials: 80s Shield Designs the Easy Way. I prefer wet decals, since I first started using 'em on model planes as a kid - much easier to re-position than stickers.

I did find out, through a Google search, that LBMS designed the shield images, but Warlord were responsible for the stickers.