Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:35:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691302
  • Total Topics: 118384
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2024 Daeothar's Frostgrave Warband Camp  (Read 12748 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: BSC2024 Daeothar's Frostgrave Warband Camp
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2024, 04:22:00 PM »
I'm loving the details, it really brings the build alive.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2024, 06:43:36 PM »
Once again, ourdoing yourself, my dude.
Amazing job.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2024, 09:01:58 PM »
This is just getting better with every update  :-*

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Online Tarnegol

• Librarian
    • My Biblical Wargaming blog.
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2024, 09:41:05 PM »
I'm thoroughly enjoying watching the growth of this, especially the mixture of techniques.
"One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off."

Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2024, 03:07:11 AM »
This is an incredible build!  :-* Your patience to do it to match your vision is an inspiration. Keep up the great work!!  ;)

Mike Demana

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2024, 08:31:22 AM »
Thanks guys, encouragement really fuels the fire to keep going, even though the deadline is looming impossibly close already :)

I've found a good rithm doing stuff for a couple of hours, taking a few pictures afterwards and posting a short update that evening or the next day. It's really helping me to stay motivated; logging my own progress.

As for today's update; it's a riveting one. Nails it right on the head. You won't get board. ::)

Well actually, this was a rather dull one for me, but I had to power through, as it's a bit of detail I find necessary. Years ago, I made this tool from an old pinvice, a locking bolt from an old PC-case and a technical pencil that broke. Combined, they are a tool for pressing in nail heads or rivets into wood or plastic!

I've used it quite a bit in the past, then nearly forgot I had it, but it absolutely came in handy for this build! Here, I've used it to add nails to the floor boards, adding the impression they've been nailed to the beams below, instead of being magically glued in place.

It adds some more realistic detail I think. But also; it was boring as heck, and hell on the hands, as the wood I used is quite a bit harder than balsa. [wuss]I ended up adding a folded scrap of cloth between the tool and my hand...[/wuss]

Also, I added the repairs made to the hole in the floor/ceiling with a different type of wood as the one used for the floor boards. These too were 'nailed' of course.

And finally, I added some more damage to the tiles in the hallway. I think I'm happy with the level of distress there now.

Still have to do that door though. And I almost forgot about the windows!

No work will be done today though; I've got my regular D&D session on Wednesdays, so hopefully some more will be done on Thursday :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2024, 10:02:42 AM »
Nice progress!
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2024, 09:52:42 PM »
Maybe when deadline pressure is off, you could give us more details on your rivet maker. Sounds like a handy tool for scratch builders to have...  :-*

Mike Demana

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2024, 11:42:54 AM »
It adds some more realistic detail I think. But also; it was boring as heck, and hell on the hands, as the wood I used is quite a bit harder than balsa. [wuss]I ended up adding a folded scrap of cloth between the tool and my hand...[/wuss]

Well worth the effort though  :)
Also is the tool too fragile to use a small hammer with it?

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2024, 01:34:37 PM »
Lovely work. I'm a bit late to this party, but have you considered toothpicks for the bannisters on your balcony? hey are turned/carved at one end and have a very nice bannister appearance. I used them on my manor house for the stairs.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2024, 02:50:56 PM »
Today's free time has been almost completely spent on a single door... ::)

I could have gone the simple way and simply added a few coffee stirrers together and call it a day, but no; I wanted this door to open, and I wanted it to be a bit more elaborate.

This is an inside door, in a rich wizard's house after all!

So, as you do, I researched medieval inside doors and came to a compromise between looks and material limitations that I could be content with. Sure; I could have 3D printed one; there's plenty of 'em on Thingyverse, but I felt like it was finally polystyrene time, so I broke out the plasticard and set to work.

The door exists of 5 layers; a 1mm inner layer, two 0,75mm layers with cut-outs and finally two layers of 0,25mm strips and shapes, slightly thinner than the layers below them.

It involved a copious amount of careful filing and sanding, but in the end, I got them all pretty uniform.

The hinges are two pieces of 2mm plasticard, drilled and then sanded into shape and two pieces of paperclip wire bent into shape and filed square on the inside corners for a snugger fit. I had to redo those half a dozen times, but I finally got two that were very close in shape.

Then it was filing and sanding until the door fit snugly (but not too snugly) into the doorframe. I also added a keyhole; the door handles still have to be sourced; I spent 30 minutes searching my bits boxes, but nothing stood out and I don't want to do a ring or a simple bent wire.

I'm letting that rest for the time being; I've got the windows to fuss over now!  :)

Oh; I also added some fallen masonry on the first floor and drilled out the nail holes in the overhanging part of the first floor's floor boards. To drive the point home, an also drilled out beam will be resting one end on the ground just next to the door below.

@ mikedemana & McMordain: I will do a small tool feature this weekend; you'll find it's actually quite sturdy!

@ anevilgiraffe: I know the toothpicks you m ention; I've got quite a bunch myself and I did consider them, but they are just too dainty to match the medieval architecture I'm trying to emulate. Hence the square ones I ended up using. They're actually square(ish) bamboo BBQ-skewers.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2024, 03:39:53 PM »
Love the door  :-*

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2024, 03:59:08 PM »
The door is amazing! Very fitting for a rich wzards's house! Maybe you could even paint it that it resembles exquisite woodwork or so? Or a combination of different types of wood (pale birch and reddish chestnut?).

Wouldn't the top of a pin work for a doorknob like the one below? With some greenstuf/plastic card behind it? I think it looks more classy than a ring anyway?

''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Online Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2024, 05:33:43 PM »
That door is great - I'm about to embark on the same adventure for an exterior door for my warehouse building

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2024, 10:19:35 PM »
Ooo that's posh and well worth the effort!