Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:27:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1729902 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6510 on: May 18, 2017, 12:16:17 PM »
Surely 'truescale' would make the buggers eight foot tall and not 32/36/whatever mm.....

8ft dwarfs. Crap I'd hate to see giants then.
Sorry, truescale giants ;)

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6511 on: May 18, 2017, 12:41:32 PM »
And if, for some reason, we're to take the 40K calendar as a continuation of ours, then it'll be 28,167 AD, which is very close to the time that the Emperor started on his secret Primarch project.

You might be on to something.

Edit:
Sorry that should read "you might be on something".

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6512 on: May 18, 2017, 02:10:41 PM »
So... I guess the term "Sigmarines" now applies to both AoS and WH40k.  :)

On the brighter side, larger (plastic) Space Marines (if the AoS Stormcast are anything to go by) means that they will be far easier to paint up and GW can go wild with intricately excruciating detail.

BTW, the Stormcast are pretty much 40mm in height. Do you think the new Space dudlies will be the same?

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6513 on: May 18, 2017, 02:20:01 PM »
+++EDIT+++ Dang! I just did the math, and it sort of works out too!

Slow day at work, huh  :D

The fluff doesn't have me convinced. I'm not getting hyped on the super-super soldier aspect.

I like the design of the armour well enough. They're nice models.

If they'll ever appear in my army remains to be seen, though.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6514 on: May 18, 2017, 02:24:25 PM »
Slow day at work, huh  :D

Still basking in last night's victory... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6515 on: May 18, 2017, 02:40:08 PM »
I'll go geek out further on my own now... lol

Sorry if I damaged you, mate.
 ;D ;)

You might be on to something.

Edit:
Sorry that should read "you might be on something".

lol lol

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6516 on: May 18, 2017, 05:34:25 PM »
Or perhaps it was rolled out during the cursed founding and as such is considered bad luck? :)
It would go well with my Legio Fausta marines then*  :D

*Hint: they got their legion name because I roll 1s.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #6517 on: May 18, 2017, 05:53:16 PM »
Oh, they're slowly getting there, one millimeter at a time.

Trouble is, they'll spend the best part of 10,000 years as the galaxy's premier fighting force of womble-headed midgets.

I always wanted to see a beakie marine with his helmet off... and he actually was a womble under the armour  :D

I'll go geek out further on my own now... lol

Best that I do the same... ;D

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #6518 on: May 18, 2017, 09:12:05 PM »

BTW, the Stormcast are pretty much 40mm in height. Do you think the new Space dudlies will be the same?

I hope they Primaris aren't too massive as I'm kit bashing massive bloody thunder warriors out of stormcasts ATM.  o_o

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6519 on: May 23, 2017, 10:59:55 AM »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6520 on: May 23, 2017, 12:41:05 PM »
Well, I must say, I remain cautiously optimistic. All codices in 5 fixed books? That's great news as far as I'm concerned. Now of course, with this major overhaul (like from 2nd to 3rd ed), they cannot release the codices piecemeal; they have to release them all in one go.

Now, I'm sure there'll be supplements; there always are. But they're definitely going the Infinity or Warmachine route; all playable factions in one (ok; 5... ::) ) book(s).

The boxed set looks like decent value again too, with the full hardcover book inside. I might consider getting one, if the rules are right.

Also; Lieutenants appear to have made a comeback, complete with elaborate helmet stripe! 8)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #6521 on: May 23, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
Well, I must say, I remain cautiously optimistic. All codices in 5 fixed books? That's great news as far as I'm concerned. Now of course, with this major overhaul (like from 2nd to 3rd ed), they cannot release the codices piecemeal; they have to release them all in one go.

Now, I'm sure there'll be supplements; there always are. But they're definitely going the Infinity or Warmachine route; all playable factions in one (ok; 5... ::) ) book(s).

The boxed set looks like decent value again too, with the full hardcover book inside. I might consider getting one, if the rules are right.

Also; Lieutenants appear to have made a comeback, complete with elaborate helmet stripe! 8)

Has anyone noticed what they say on the end of the page? About the Index Books? They are temporary  :'(

...Oh, and don’t worry, this doesn’t mean Orks and Tyranids are now on the same side, it just means they share a book for the moment. In the future, they’ll get their own dedicated codexes.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6522 on: May 23, 2017, 12:53:45 PM »
Has anyone noticed what they say on the end of the page? About the Index Books? They are temporary  :'(

I think it's the same idea as the Grand Alliance books in AoS, which over time are superseded by Battletomes for individual factions, and now add in extra rules for single faction armies.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6523 on: May 23, 2017, 01:17:26 PM »
Has anyone noticed what they say on the end of the page? About the Index Books? They are temporary  :'(

Well, I obviously didn't...  ::)

That's too bad, but understandable from a commercial point of view of course...

Then again, still quite similar to the Warmachine model, where you get the rulebook with all faction in it. But later dedicated tomes for all factions detail more specific units etc...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:19:01 PM by Daeothar »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6524 on: May 23, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »
Then again, still quite similar to the Warmachine model, where you get the rulebook with all faction in it. But later dedicated tomes for all factions detail more specific units etc...

Hmm, not exactly. The WM model only really produces the faction books because they acknowledge that (1) there is just no way all the units and fluff can go into one book, and (2) it's better for factions to have a book each as most players can then pick up the books that interest them the most.

In (1), it's worth noting that apart from PRIME, the books always move the story on, so there's never really anywhere appropriate to put all the unit collections anyway. In (2), it's worth noting that the rules come with the models anyway, and/or via faction decks that contain all the faction's cards up to that release point, so they are really quite optional.

What GW are doing is different though; although I expect there will be "story tomes" in the MW sense (i.e., moving the story on), I wouldn't expect all factions to get a look-in to every book like they do in WM. That's why aside from the initial launch books/collections, I would expect GW to revert back to a Codex-style format. If AoS is anything to go by, the various Codexes will be periodically updated throughout the life of the edition too, adding in new formations, rules updates, and any new models released since the last Codex.

Now, if GW continue to give away the unit rules for free on their website as they did with AoS, then this model is actually not bad at all. However, if they decide to force book purchases by putting a lot of the rules and unit options exclusively behind multi-book paywalls... Well, then I forsee a lot of piracy when it comes to the faction Codexes.  :?