Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:58:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731916 times)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #7725 on: December 01, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »
Personally I'm more tempted by the AoS RPG because it's something new and it'll help flesh out the game world more.

Yeah I think this one is a winner.

The old dark world has been sent into the ring too many times.

Give me something fresh and crazy.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #7726 on: December 01, 2017, 08:56:35 PM »
AoS is a silly world where all is in chaos and turmoil and the only things that live are killing machines though. Isn't it? Doesn't sound like a place for RPG!

Like the BB Elves, they are definitely one of the best of the new teams. They actually suit GW's dynamism at all costs approach.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7727 on: December 01, 2017, 09:30:08 PM »
AoS is a silly world where all is in chaos and turmoil and the only things that live are killing machines though. Isn't it? Doesn't sound like a place for RPG!

The world wasn't terribly well fleshed out to begin with but GW have begun to create a more living and breathing world through Warhammer Quest and the cities/alliances sets. The RPG is exactly what could add to that. It's early days still so there's loads to add and it gives players/GMs a lot of space to get creative themselves, far more so perhaps than with the World that Was. Bear in mind as well that the original WFRP was released long before the Old World had been codified into the now familiar setting.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:33:45 PM by stone-cold-lead »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7728 on: December 01, 2017, 10:14:19 PM »

Like the BB Elves, they are definitely one of the best of the new teams. They actually suit GW's dynamism at all costs approach.

Yes and no.

After the death of the old world, sigmar and the souls of many great heros/gods floated in the void as chaos consumed itself.

Eventually the winds of magic formed realms. Near infinite plains that embodied their forming winds. the spirits of life,races long dead and new races born into these realms soon sprang up, populating each realm. Sigmar saw this and from his celestial home he built an empire.
Eventually chaos returned, seeing these new realms in the void, archaon ,now grand marshall of the chaos gods, ploughed over the empire of sigmar and the alliance he had formed with the new gods of death, life and destruction.
Sigmar retreated and locked himself in azyr, the celestial realm.

This started the age of chaos, where everything fell slowly to chaos or was forced into hiding for millennia.

the setting of Age of Aigmar starts at the end of the age of chaos, When sigmar has completed work on his new army to march against the dominant powers of archaon and his forces and take back the realms, using and ancinet realmgates built by various races and peoples in days long gone.

We are noew a few hundred years in, as the summer campaigns and campaign books each pushed the narrative a few decades forward.
Cities have been built by pioneers from aigmars realm, old alliances have been reformed between the godess of life and sigmar. Those who were in hiding have started to come forward and huge areas have been conquered and exist in a delicate state of peace as chaos is pushed back.

the reason age of sigmar feels empty is because it's NEW and it's HUGE. Gone is the single map with its unchanging borders. An overnight raid by a chaos warlord seeking glory could push the frontier of order back hundreds of miles, or a captured realmgate could mean the building of a new city of life in the middle of the land of death.
There's endless scope for exploration and fun, with the freedom for all kinds of bizarre moorcock style fantasy.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #7729 on: December 01, 2017, 11:13:13 PM »
Could make a nice brat gang for Necromunda too.

I'm doing some ridiculous conversions for a Brat gang atm.  lol

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #7730 on: December 01, 2017, 11:33:51 PM »
the reason age of sigmar feels empty is because it's NEW and it's HUGE. Gone is the single map with its unchanging borders. An overnight raid by a chaos warlord seeking glory could push the frontier of order back hundreds of miles, or a captured realmgate could mean the building of a new city of life in the middle of the land of death.

That's why it doesn't work for me. With what appears to be an infinite world and no distinct, detailed histories which match a clear geography, there are no stakes. Anything can change at any time so there's no inherent drama. Just continual war. Yawn.

That said, given a decade of lore writing that might change. And the aos lore I have read has the feeling of an Epic in the true sense of the word, so I'm not dismissing it - it's just not grounded enough for me.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #7731 on: December 01, 2017, 11:57:10 PM »
I'm doing some ridiculous conversions for a Brat gang atm.  lol

Photos, man. Photos!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7732 on: December 02, 2017, 10:20:43 AM »
Is it just me who measures his age in the wargaming hobby by the number of Blood Angels codices issued? I must be six, at least.  ;D

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7733 on: December 02, 2017, 11:31:03 AM »
That's why it doesn't work for me. With what appears to be an infinite world and no distinct, detailed histories which match a clear geography, there are no stakes. Anything can change at any time so there's no inherent drama. Just continual war. Yawn.

That said, given a decade of lore writing that might change. And the aos lore I have read has the feeling of an Epic in the true sense of the word, so I'm not dismissing it - it's just not grounded enough for me.

It just needs time. It's only been a couple of years so there's plenty of world building to do. I think some people though really like the lack of a fully formed game world and prefer the freedom to put their own spin on it, just like early Warhammer. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the blanks and vagaries filled in a bit more though.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #7734 on: December 02, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »
Is it just me who measures his age in the wargaming hobby by the number of Blood Angels codices issued? I must be six, at least.  ;D

lol

I remember the day I was born!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #7735 on: December 04, 2017, 03:27:49 PM »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7736 on: December 06, 2017, 05:24:25 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MofgqGcXsRI&feature=youtu.be

Games workshop let the guys from Miniwargaming on youtube do a video behind the scenes at warhammer world. Pretty funny, and there's a sneak peak at the new beast of nurgle.

I got the december white dwarf today and my god it's packed with stuff! BAttle reports for AoS , 40k, necromunda, and the lord of the rings, content on shadespire, spacehulk, warghammer quest, necromunda, blnachistu , armies on parade...free stuff too.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #7737 on: December 07, 2017, 07:28:20 AM »
hilarious
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7738 on: December 07, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MofgqGcXsRI&feature=youtu.be

Games workshop let the guys from Miniwargaming on youtube do a video behind the scenes at warhammer world. Pretty funny, and there's a sneak peak at the new beast of nurgle.

I got the december white dwarf today and my god it's packed with stuff! BAttle reports for AoS , 40k, necromunda, and the lord of the rings, content on shadespire, spacehulk, warghammer quest, necromunda, blnachistu , armies on parade...free stuff too.

That beast of nurgle looks like it might be a throwback to the original (and best) model.

It was rather nice to see the Space Hulk rules for hybrids in WD. Might put to rest the expectations of those who think Deathwing and Genestealer should get boxed sets (not happening!).

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #7739 on: December 07, 2017, 08:22:31 PM »
Now not buying that humble bundle of the WHFRPG stuff comes back to bite me like a redback spider!

Cubicle 7 have just released the first edition rulebook on RPGNow for $9.99

Fully OCR'd, bookmarked and cleaned up to look amazing, the first edition of the seminal Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay comes to PDF!

We’ve painstakingly scanned every page, and created a PDF that maintains the appearance of the original. This does make for a slightly larger file than we’d normally produce, but on this occasion, we think it’s worth it for all the great First Edition feel! The PDF is also extensively bookmarked for ease of reference.

We released a version earlier in the year via Humble Bundle that did not have the colour plates of the Games Workshop edition, but this new PDF does have all those glorious colour plates we know so well.