Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:58:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693931
  • Total Topics: 118572
  • Online Today: 835
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1729908 times)

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2265 on: November 20, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »
When you put it like that Scurv, I'm glad I live where I do in this big Brown country.

It's nice to have a little perspective in our lives, and helps us to get what others live with.

In regards to a pack of skulls, just get a cheap box of skelly parts from WGF for all your basing needs.

Cheers
Matt.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2266 on: November 20, 2014, 09:23:35 PM »
When you put it like that Scurv, I'm glad I live where I do in this big Brown country.

It's nice to have a little perspective in our lives, and helps us to get what others live with.

In regards to a pack of skulls, just get a cheap box of skelly parts from WGF for all your basing needs.

Cheers
Matt.

Excuse me sir your skull does not appear to be GW issue, we are going to have to remove it...

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #2267 on: November 20, 2014, 10:18:04 PM »
I would also like to see us be able to talk about relevant computer games that are true wargames in every respect. Merely for examples sake -  steel panthers WWII or grigsby's war in the pacific. Also games where its a wargame using the abilities of the computer. You look at something like the mod rome total realism VII and its a fully researched fully accurate ancients warfare game that with the ability to pause becomes a true miniature wargame trapped in a computer screen. I play it exactly like a TT game. I pause issue my units orders and then start it going then after a while pause again and issue new orders and so forth just like a tt game.

That's exactly what I love about games like X-Com and Fallout Tactics. Both those games feel exactly like playing a tabletop game to me and I've even managed to get people interested in tt wargaming by telling them "It's a bit like Fallout Tactics, but on the tabletop". I'm gonna have a look into those other games you've mentioned too.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2268 on: November 21, 2014, 07:04:04 PM »
Recently Sega ported an old PS3 hit, Valkyria Chronicles to PC. It's basically WWII anime-style, which I know to some folks on the board sounds utterly horrible, but it's actually a very, very well-made game, contentious issues are handled with surprising sensitivity and aplomb (the game's cutesy packaging notwithstanding), and overall it's a boatload of fun.

The actual missions themselves use a command point activation system for using your units which would be entirely familiar with tabletop gamers. There are some real-time elements (you do the aiming for your soldiers), but overall it's one of the closer simulations of a conventional tabletop game I've ever seen on a PC or console, albeit the more "fun" ones of recent decades, rather than older, hardcore Avalon Hill-style wargames (those do have a long history on PC already).

And on the subject of Asian wargamers, I expect the small living spaces in most cities also has a big impact on how popular tabletop stuff is in the east. Scenery and game elements can take up a lot of physical space. Card and computer games virtually nil (well, okay, I have an entire closet full of my wife and mine's Magic the Gathering collections, but we've been playing for an aggregate 40 years between the two of us).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:10:00 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2269 on: November 21, 2014, 08:23:53 PM »
This week's releases up.

Endtimes: Khaine, 500 hardback copies sold out already.

LotR releases!  Mirkwood elves in battle gear - everything in finecast, prices no worse than last year (i.e. still terrible).  Some finecast elf cavalry - £18 for 2 models!  Or a unit of 6 for £54.

Lovely models though  ;D

A basic elf army - 5 characters (2 mounted), 1 captain, 18 infantry and 6 cavalry - £225!!!  It doesn't help that the cost for the 5 characters (Legolas and Thranduil foot+mounted, plus Tauriel on foot) is now touching £70, but finecast rank and file models are again a stupid, stupid move.  It's really not selling is it?

Was it only 2011 that you'd have change from £30 for a bigger LotR army in plastic???

Also a bit worried why they're releasing these first - no Battle of Five Armies boxed set  then?   :'(

And also out this week, a bunch of 40k and WFB army bundles that appear to have replaced the quietly "disappeared" Battlefore and Battalion boxes.  Prices from £140 to £500.

They have lost their minds.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:25:28 PM by Momotaro »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #2270 on: November 21, 2014, 08:36:29 PM »
Fram Framson
Not being flippant Fram but Wiki says the most popular amateur sport in the region is table tennis. Bear in mind you need a good sized movement area around the table too. Most wargamers would love to game on something as large as a ping-pong table. I realise the table tennis tables will virtually all be in institutional settings but I am not sure how far we can take the linkage between small accommodation and  hobby preference.

The thing is, in a lot of Asian cities, people may use their apartments for basic living but will hang out in more communal spaces. So maybe the apartment has a table tennis or games room, or there's a rec centre, or club space in an old building or whatever. I think we all know what happens to wargames terrain and such left in a shared space where lots of people have access - even well-meaning, mature groups will see that terrain worn out and damaged far more often than folks who keep their stuff at home. And leaving armies in such places gives you the same problem, plus (and this is an even bigger and more important drawback), it's hard to work on armies stored outside your own home without careful planning.

I mean, none of those difficulties are insurmountable and Asian tabletop wargamers certainly do exist, it's just a lot less common because there are a lot of extra inconveniences in the way.

The tradition is also much more recent. In Europe and North America Wargames go back to the turn of the 20th century (and a lot farther if you include the long history of military officers wargaming). In Asia, they only really go back to about the 80's as any sort of hobby. So it's just like any other hobby and competes on an equal footing with say, CCGs, which are much more accessible.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:39:25 PM by FramFramson »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #2271 on: November 21, 2014, 10:27:49 PM »
Well, they do have a tradition of doing detailed model kits in Japan, but it's more the sort of perfectionist stuff that's a more popular in Japan, trying for maximum realism and detail.

Also a lot of the model kits are just characters and toys from anime rather than warfare (though there are lots of car and plane modellers too). 

Anyway we're on topic... we're discussing causative factors behind regional variations in GW's global market share  lol

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2272 on: November 22, 2014, 02:36:43 AM »
Excellent. Thanks for taking one for the team ;)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2273 on: November 22, 2014, 10:14:29 AM »
So it's turned based? Follows the mordheim rulebook?

I just did a survey on the GW site. Answered truthfully about what I thought of the site. Was so tempted to pretend to be a 14 year old fan boy that hated the site but didn't. Did it properly.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #2274 on: November 22, 2014, 06:48:04 PM »
I'm sure I saw an interview by the developer where they said it wasn't a direct translation of the TT game but they've tried to replicate the feel of the TT game. I never played Mordheim but you are right it does feel like a miniature game in computerised form. I have hopes for it. The early access is fine but I expect a lot more when it's finished.

If it allows me to play wih friends and have our gangs advance in xp? Retain injuries etc then it will be a winner. Now where is Necromunda?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2275 on: November 23, 2014, 01:46:54 AM »
Yeah. I want necromunda.

Offline redeaston

• Bookworm
« Reply #2276 on: November 25, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Just seen the new Hobbit stuff and there are some nice sculpts but they are too expensive for me. I am not sure how they expect people to do the battle of the five armies if the basic troops are £15 for 3.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #2277 on: November 25, 2014, 10:54:38 AM »
Just seen the new Hobbit stuff and there are some nice sculpts but they are too expensive for me. I am not sure how they expect people to do the battle of the five armies if the basic troops are £15 for 3.

Nobody needs both their kidneys.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2278 on: November 25, 2014, 11:37:24 AM »
Nobody needs both their kidneys.

But its finding a buyer for a kidney, cant expect games workshop prices for those things HAH  lol
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2279 on: November 25, 2014, 12:08:16 PM »
its the sort of deal where you at least insist on free ice.

LOTS of free ice haha, the kind bought at tesco..... :`