Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 09:38:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694174
  • Total Topics: 118585
  • Online Today: 631
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: paper model vehicles for wargaming ?  (Read 4223 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
paper model vehicles for wargaming ?
« on: November 02, 2013, 08:51:09 PM »
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone use papermodel tanks and other vehicules for historical wargaming ?

Examples welcome ;)

thanks

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: paper model vehicles for wargaming ?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »
I used to be quite fond of paper models, although I tended to embellish them with some more 3d detail and replace weak parts with more robust materials, such as metal washers for wheels etc. Mainly, I used it for items for which (at the time) no models were available or sourcing existing models was not feasible for me.

Some examples of paper models I made, used and still use:

Some of the above I designed myself, some I downloaded from the web and rescaled for 28mm (usually to 1/50 or 1/55).

Haven't built a paper-based model in years, though, as I am more into plasticard these days. But I still do paper-based terrain pieces for one-off scenarios or mini-campaigns.

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 09:15:58 PM »
I've done a paper stagecoach, but it still needs some plastic horses. I'll post some pictures next week.
Far less active than I used to...

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
    • My DeviantArt portfolio
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 09:23:14 PM »
I have used paper models as templates for building vehicles for 28mm, such as the FT17 below:

For 15mm, I mostly stick to printing out vehicles, but it's mostly unarmoured vehicles since they tend to have less fiddly parts. But they still have car lamps. Car lamps are a pain to assemble in 1/100 scale: they are evil! You can see some paper trucks alongside 15mm plastic and metal tanks & trucks, as well as cardboard walkers.

I have also scratchbuilt 15mm vehicles out of cardboard, foamcore, plasticard. I leave treads smooth, but then that means I have to paint them with stripes...
Read "Alfie's Tenners", appearing in Aurora magazine!
Expand your GK forces with cardboard models, available on DriveThruRPG!http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=4773_4902
Your ad here, for a low price!

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 09:42:35 PM »
I had great plans doing some of Westfalia Chris's. Never got beyond the Ehrhard, because I'm far too lazy for the fiddling with paper!  lol
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »
Wow, really impressive results  :o

I didn't imagined that such results were possible. I guess the fact you weathered and painted the models instead of printing them in color make the whole diference  ???

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »
Wow, really impressive results  :o

I didn't imagined that such results were possible. I guess the fact you weathered and painted the models instead of printing them in color make the whole diference  ???

I agree that using the paper kit as a base, first doing some 3d detailing, e.g. rivets, doors and hatches, next sealing it with thin superglue, then painting it as usual helps a lot to improve the weakest part of paper models, namely their lack of depth.

Occasionally, though, I also just print it. I don't have historical items done that way, but here's a couple of fortifications for 40k which where just greyscale prints on coloured cardboard, then assembled:

Personally, these days, I don't think that the main advantage of most paper models (cheapness) makes up for the disadvantages (assembly time if you want it to look good, flatness and lack of stability). For example, for my Postwar Africa project, I went for plastic models all the way, although I did consider paper for some of the tank types, but the plastic ones looked so much better.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 10:56:20 PM »
OK, thanks for your honest answer. The thing is that doing my maths, the whole package including enough minis to play all scenarios of the game + vehicules needed (french APCs mostly, but also a few technical and recycled USSR transports fro Balkans wars) will make the bill a bit too high for a skirmish game, at least in 28mm or 20mm scale.

15mm scale is cheaper, but I never played skirmish in that scale, I'm afraid to not find the same "sense of identification" I have with bigger scales. I mean, for mass battle, small scales are great, but I always has been a bit conservative for skirmish games...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 11:14:20 PM »
OK, thanks for your honest answer. The thing is that doing my maths, the whole package including enough minis to play all scenarios of the game + vehicules needed (french APCs mostly, but also a few technical and recycled USSR transports fro Balkans wars) will make the bill a bit too high for a skirmish game, at least in 28mm or 20mm scale.

15mm scale is cheaper, but I never played skirmish in that scale, I'm afraid to not find the same "sense of identification" I have with bigger scales. I mean, for mass battle, small scales are great, but I always has been a bit conservative for skirmish games...

Don't get me wrong - if you have the time and enjoy assembling paper models, then I'd say it's a valid option, especially in a smaller scale (I didn't realize you were asking in reference to your French forces vs. Insurgents concept, sorry about that). If you have paper models for the required vehicles, then I'd say go for it. It is certainly cheaper and if you are on a budget and are happy to invest some work instead of money for "full 3d" models, I'd say it can work out quite nicely. I'd suspect that French AFVs such as the VAB armoured car could be done convincingly, due to their flat shapes. Obviously, it will be a bit tricky to find modern AFVs for that.

On that topic, there is a page that features well-designed 1/72 paper kits for free download, designed by the page's owner:

http://www.terra.dti.ne.jp/~yoshidom/

Unfortunately, there are only a few modern kits on there, but at least an ASU-85 self-propelled gun, which might work for a WarPac-sponsored force. Depends on how historically accurate you want your project to be.

Here's another link page which features various paper model download links, which should all be legal AFAIK:

http://www.d1.dion.ne.jp/~hamanaga/ThumbLink/Thumb306.html

There's a link to a VAB armoured car:

http://myhobbycraft.blogspot.de/2011/03/vab-indonesian-un-peacekeepers-135.html

Which looks very good, although it is 1/35 and although you could easily rescale it to 1/72, it may be a bit complicated to assemble.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »
Thanks for the links,

Unfortunatly, I can't download the VAB, wich is the most interesting vehicle in the list.  :?

'd suspect that French AFVs such as the VAB armoured car could be done convincingly, due to their flat shapes

It's also why I thought about paper models.  ;)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 12:55:27 AM »
I only ever used them as terrain elements, good for providing cover :)
For some, asseimbling paper models is fun (for me too, as long as I don't have to build too many tiny tires :) )

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 12:58:22 AM »
I remember this black and white stunning scenery  :o

I finally decided to abandon this idea. I've got too much projects, this will take me too much time. I just swapped my project to 15mm scale to reduce the costs.