Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:16:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What do you think about modular terrain?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
    • Brutal Cities Wargaming Architecture
What do you think about modular terrain?
« on: April 11, 2024, 07:23:00 AM »
 I'm working away on a long running terrain project and it got me thinking about modules in the terrain world. I'm (personally) of two minds about it.
What do you guys think about modular terrain? - off the top of my head these pros and cons come to mind, but I'm definitely missing points!
Pros:
Allows people to make some pretty cool and diverse set ups, and it allows you to be creative in your table layouts.

Big LEGO - it has a certain fun aspect to it - when you're building with blocks.

Kits can be cleverly designed for different combinations - GW is obviously great at this.

Flexibility of placement on your table - small modules can fit to block LOS where larger buildings can't (I guess it depends on game system too, but I'm speaking generally)

Cons:

depending on design, It can be kind of expensive - depending on design, and if you are looking at it from a cost of material to surface area - it can be more economical if you were just trying to block LOS to have larger buildings

If the whole table is modular (In terms of the actual buildings, or kits) there's the potential to have a lot of repeated proportions. With some 3d printed terrain for instance, as well as other types, I've noticed there's some common weirdly proportioned designs that are clearly designed for Ender 3's etc. I guess that might change as different printers become popular

Sometimes it's nice to have a really unique, 'iconic' shaped building that can really stand out - which modules can't always do if people get very used to seeing them.

Again, generally speaking. The answer is probably just that there is a place for repeated modules, and more unique one off type buildings - but I'd still like to get your thoughts on modular terrain!
www.brutalcities.com - Wargaming Architecture

Offline Tarnegol

• Librarian
    • My Biblical Wargaming blog.
Re: What do you think about modular terrain?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 07:56:45 AM »
My first thought about any terrain is, "Where do I store it?"
"One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off."

Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 08:38:20 AM »
Considering storage space, as previously mentioned, I like my terrain to be as versatile as possible. Meaning I have some buildings that can be varied in height by adding one or two floors, which can also be used on their own. So one tall building, two medium ones or four single storied ones.

This means I have a lot of flexibility in how I set up the table, but it also means less storage space used, as individual buildings tend to be based as such, which obviously takes up more space, and mine don't. My examples here, by the way, are by no means identical; they just share the same footprint and material, but they're not carbon copies.

As for the aesthetics of modular buildings; in a modern or scifi setting, modular buildings might actually be the norm, and they will not stand out at all. Think of appartment buildings, flats, office buildings etc. Having those modular and able to combine into something larger would work perfectly. Just add one or two 'character' buildings and you'll be set.

But the above will not work for periods/settings where people rely on craftsmen to create their buildings. Where every brick or stone is laid by hand, and uniformity simply does not exist.

But your product lines all seem to be aimed at (ultra)modern and scifi, so that should not be an issue ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline macsen wledig

• Bookworm
  • Dave Hollin
    • Society of Ancients
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 09:14:07 AM »
I loves it.

I did give myself a bit of a challenge when I started producing 300 x 10cm square mdf modules but hey ho  lol
Slingshot Editor, Society of Ancients

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 11:15:11 AM »
As already stated, as well as variety, the best thing about modular terrain is that it's easier to store.

Inversly, a downside that you haven't mentioned is set up time. Modular terrain generally takes a lot of time to set up, which in the case of stuff like the batllesystems terrain, often puts me off using it at all.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 09:26:30 PM by hubbabubba »

Offline macsen wledig

• Bookworm
  • Dave Hollin
    • Society of Ancients
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 11:30:58 AM »
very true however the world is your small marine crustacean

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 01:15:52 PM »
As already stated, as well as variety, the best thing about modular terrain is that it's easier to store.

Inversly, a downside that you haven't mentioned is set up time. Modular terrain generally takes a lot of time to set up, which it the case of stuff like the batllesystems terrain, often puts me off using it at all.

Very, very good point - Yeah, I like to keep things simple in that regard too.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 01:56:02 PM »
I absolutely understand the point, don't get me wrong. But I think I can speak for at least a small portion of the wargaming community when I say that I always enjoy the process of setting up.

In fact, I usually take my time to make my table of the day/night as attractive, thematic, and often balanced, as possible. This includes the placing of (modular) terrain. So this might actually be an enjoyable part of the hobby that has not been highlighted all that much.

It's either about creating spiffing terrain pieces or about setting up for a game. Building terrain is considered a respected part of the hobby, but setting up a table is mostly considered a necessary evil before a game.

Just saying.

But I think it should be made clear here what type of modularity is referred to; are we talking about the entire table, like the aforementioned Battlesystems, or about individual terrain pieces, like the one I was telling about?

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 07:08:50 PM »
Yes, I can understand how setting up modular terrain could be an enjoyable part of getting a game in.
The problem is for me, and most of the gamers I know both here in Spain and back in the UK, is we don't have the luxury of having enough space to have a gaming table set up permanently or for long periods of time.

I'm lucky enough to have the use of a small room for my hobby stuff, but it's not big enough to have a gaming table set up and still have space for painting or building stuff, especially if there are other players involved. As a result, I pack everything away after a session in order to carry on painting or whatever.

This situation usually also means that we have  limited time available, the game is best played from start to finish in one session, having to be played on the dining table and always  set up and packed away in a single morning, afternoon or evening.

Having limited time means that taking too long to set up the table leads to less time to actually play the game, and more time to clear away.

I don't know what it's like in other countries, but I imagine most people living in large European cities live in smallish apartments where space is at a premium, especially if you have kids. I'm guesing that in the US and possibly OZ, more people live out in the suburbs and have more space in their properties.

This might be something you want to consider when you market any modular scenery, perhaps more elaborate sets with longer set up times will logically appeal more to peope who don't have these restrictions on space and time, hence the US where people often seem to have an available basement or something similar.

However, what Daeother has said obout the set up of the table being being an enjoyable part of the hobby that has never really been exploited gives some food for thought.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 07:47:09 PM »
I take some enjoyment in setting up terrain for a game, but it depends a bit on how fiddly the pieces are. I bought into the punched cardboard kits by Battlesystems, but have barely used them due to the number of parts. When it feels like I have to put together 4-5 jigsaw puzzles to set up for a game, I look elsewhere.

In the other hand, arranging complete components, like buildings, or road sections, to make a plausible scene does appeal to me. My 6mm sci fi stompy robot terrain is like that - lots of small sections go into it, but each one is a definitely thing (vs part of a thing).

I never really thought carefully about it before this thread, but basically I prefer modules that are components of a scene over components of a building.

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2024, 02:08:58 AM »
Considering storage space, as previously mentioned, I like my terrain to be as versatile as possible. Meaning I have some buildings that can be varied in height by adding one or two floors, which can also be used on their own. So one tall building, two medium ones or four single storied ones.

This means I have a lot of flexibility in how I set up the table, but it also means less storage space used, as individual buildings tend to be based as such, which obviously takes up more space, and mine don't. My examples here, by the way, are by no means identical; they just share the same footprint and material, but they're not carbon copies.

As for the aesthetics of modular buildings; in a modern or scifi setting, modular buildings might actually be the norm, and they will not stand out at all. Think of appartment buildings, flats, office buildings etc. Having those modular and able to combine into something larger would work perfectly. Just add one or two 'character' buildings and you'll be set.

But the above will not work for periods/settings where people rely on craftsmen to create their buildings. Where every brick or stone is laid by hand, and uniformity simply does not exist.

But your product lines all seem to be aimed at (ultra)modern and scifi, so that should not be an issue ;)
Well...bricks are modules, no? haha
Hah true - although really, most of my designs would work in pulp games from the 1960's onwards! It's mostly just brutalism or modernist architecture!
My first thought about any terrain is, "Where do I store it?"
Yes! The project I'm working on soon is simply too big to not be able to pack down into flat panels.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2024, 10:04:38 AM »
I love it! It makes it much easier to bust out a game quickly and not let the terrain get stale. I can certainly see the appeals of other terrain types as well though :D

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2024, 02:04:24 PM »
One of the issues with modular terrain is trying to make it appear homogeneous and natural rather than a series of modules or repeated lego blocks. A good design will hopefully take that into account but then you have the issue of the medium.

I fall into the camp of those who believe that MDF is a medium best used as a shell that needs dressing to work. Adding texture and as often as not detail, to ensure it doesn't look like a wooden box. It's harder to do that if there's a competing need to pull the bloody things apart.

My preference is to have modular bases for structures and then to mix and match the structures that sit atop them for variety's sake. In this way the road network, footpaths and scatter items are doing the heavy lifting rathet than the structures themselves.

It's nice to have modular components such as extra floors but in all likelihood I'll buy those extra floors and permanently set them in place.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2024, 11:20:02 AM »
I find the idea of modular terrain very tempting, the idea of having infinite possible combinations.

However taking a more critical eye, making something modular means it will have to comply to standard connection points, making the pieces samey and uniform in very toy-like ways. And the truth is, I don't play that many games per year, I don't get that much use out of that modularity, in truth a bespoke single piece of scenery probably serves me better.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2024, 05:59:21 PM »
I love modular terrain - I have a few different OpenLock boards underway. However it does have disadvantages - it can look very sam-y. I use a variety of different 3D printing designers as well as scratch-building stuff.

One thing I've never seen is any really great integration of 3D printing with laser cutting - having a pack with laser cut walls and then 3D printed greeblies to stick on them (designed in or not)