Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 10:05:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Please Recommend a Good Source  (Read 2261 times)

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
Please Recommend a Good Source
« on: March 31, 2015, 04:19:08 PM »
I a looking for a good source or two for the Italian Communal Wars.  Primarily for the early to mid 13th century portion, but the rest is of interest as well.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks  -  Allen

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Please Recommend a Good Source
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 07:23:34 PM »
I a looking for a good source or two for the Italian Communal Wars.  Primarily for the early to mid 13th century portion, but the rest is of interest as well.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks  -  Allen

I would be able to answer your question a little better if I had access to my library..... which sadly for us both, I do not at present!

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Darrell.

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:44:12 PM »
Thanks for the response Darrell, what kind of tragedy separates a man from his library?  It must be calamitous and I hope it is reconciled soon!

Allen

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:47:12 AM »
Thanks for the response Darrell, what kind of tragedy separates a man from his library?  It must be calamitous and I hope it is reconciled soon!

Allen

A tragedy indeed. Basically, to cut a long story short, a very long term relationship split.

Still, I'm on the feet again and back into painting with a vengeance and a very sore thumb, but that's another story!  lol

If I get the chance Allen I'll certainly try to dig my books out and have a read.

Darrell.

PS. The only one that sticks in my head at present is perhaps the worse of all my books touching upon the subject and that's Mercenaries and their Masters, Richard Mallet!

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 02:35:40 AM »
Thanks Darrell.  Sorry to hear about the turmoil.  I am somewhat surprised that there are so few sources for a series of wars that lasted for so long. 

Thanks again  -  Allen

Offline Phil Hamer

• Student
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »
Hi Allen,

Just catching up with the forum and noticed your request.

Have you had a look at the Mirliton site under " 28mm historicals". Being an Italian company they have quite a focus on the period that you are interested in.

Phil

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
Hi Phil, thanks for the comment.  I do have a fair number of their figures and like them quite a bit.  I was hoping for some good reading to go along with my current interest in the time period, but have found little to nothing specific for the communal wars.  I have several medieval history resources that touch on the subject, but was looking for something a little more in depth.   Was there a source on Mirliton's page that I missed?

Thanks  -  Allen