Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 06:54:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Kadesh  (Read 7108 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: Battle of Kadesh
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2024, 04:59:28 PM »

Now that the armies for Kadesh are sorted, I figured it was time to do a playtest of the basic rules.  I have done some playtesting using templates previously, but this will be the first time with actual miniatures!  Exciting. 

I Ramses the II, he who makes mortals tremble, have marched north past the fortress of Tjel.  My intention is to reclaim the city of Kadesh and the Kingdom of Amurru.  The foolish rulers there have turned from my munificence and have taken council with King Muwatalli II from the North.  I shall teach them the error of their ways. 

As part of this effort, my might army has probed the coast scouting the best way forward.  Local vassals of the Muwatalli have come forth to challenge me.  Foolish mortals.  We shall sweep them aside like so much dust.

At some point, the Kingdom of Amurru which was led by the city-state of Kadesh.  They had been vassals of the Egyptians in previous centuries, but overtime had drifted to the Hittite orbit.  This angered Ramessess II who wished to rebuild Egypt's empire in the Levant and return the region to Egyptian control. The year prior to the Battle of Kadesh, Egyptian forces were all ready active in the Canaanite lands. 

Today's battle will represent some of the scouting and blocking forces engaging in southern Canaan. 

Forces:

Today's battle is speculative in nature.  Therefore, we will be using the standard Lines of Battle to choose forces up to 24 points.

Egyptians

1 Light Chariot 
- Composite Bow

1 Levy Infantry
- Bow

1 Auxiliary Infantry

1 Archer

Hittites

1 Heavy Chariot

1 Light Chariot

Levy Infantry

Skirmishers

Mission:
We will be playing the Scout the Area scenario found in the main rules.  The intention is not to destroy the foes, but to understand the terrain. 

For ease, we decided not to use any complications for the raid scenario. 

Set-up:
We are using a 48 x 48 MU table, with 1 MU being 1 inch.  Therefore, a 4 by 4 space. 

The Western edge of the table is the Mediterranean Sea.  The Egyptians get the South, and the Hittites the North.  We divide the area into four zones and randomly determine terrain per the rules in the booklet.  The North side is 1 and 2, and the South is 3 and 4. 

1 = 2 level hill
2= Pond 0r Dangerous Terrain
3= Grove or Difficult Terrain
4= No Terrain

Of course, you can read the full battle report on my blog to see how it all played out, and the post-battle breakdown. 

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2024/04/battle-report-in-strife-and-conflict.html
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2024, 01:06:07 AM »
I read the AAR. I understand it was a test game with limited forces, I would like to see a bigger game. It seemed odd that the Hittite skirmishers sat on the hill and controlled that whole area around it. Food for thought!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2024, 08:10:07 AM »
Looks like a great game :D

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2024, 06:29:11 PM »
I read the AAR. I understand it was a test game with limited forces, I would like to see a bigger game. It seemed odd that the Hittite skirmishers sat on the hill and controlled that whole area around it. Food for thought!

Oh?  Tell me more? 

The Egyptian Archers couldn't land the kill shot because of the cover.  Some actual dedicated infantry probably would have sent the Skirmishers packing pretty fast.