Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 08:53:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: prevulcanized latex : is there a way to make it less thick ?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
prevulcanized latex : is there a way to make it less thick ?
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:25:20 PM »
Hi,

I've got almost 1L of liquid latex for molding purpose. The problem is, after a few years, the latex became too thick. It's more like cream, than like milk.

Is it safe to add some ammonia to make the latex more liquid again ? Or should I just trash my bottle ?

thanks

Offline floating white bear

• Bookworm
Re: prevulcanized latex : is there a way to make it less thick ?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 08:10:27 PM »
Yeah I think you can thin it with ammonia, or I have even used straight water.  Ususally only an issue for the first coat going against the original item, you want it thin and in all the crevassess (sp?). Otherwise I just goop it on, thick or not.  So you may find the life is extended a bit with some water or ammonia. May also want a new bottle for the first coats and use the thickened bottle to... well... thicken the rubber layers you put on. Maybe put it into a smaller container so there is less air abover the rubber as well and seal the package tightly...Rob.
(Apparently water will break down the polymers of acrylic paint so you really shouldn't use water to thin acrylics. I find the water does not have any real detremental effects, but I suspect the same may affect the latex.  Also haven't sen any major detrimental effects with water over the years in my latex either.)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: prevulcanized latex : is there a way to make it less thick ?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:36:14 AM »
thanks ! I'll use your idea. A small bottle of thinned latex for 1st molding print, and then big coat of latex "paste". I'll save a lot of time, instead of multiple layers.