Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694387
  • Total Topics: 118604
  • Online Today: 655
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Book of Boba Fett  (Read 19371 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: The Book of Boba Fett
« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2022, 03:52:30 PM »
Deleted.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 02:41:02 PM by Grumpy Gnome »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2022, 03:53:51 PM »
Most disjointed Season I think I've ever seen.

I wouldn't be surprised if they realised that the first half of the season was a mess during production and brought back Mando to rescue it. Boba Fett really didn't get up to much, just walked around parroting on about respect. They took an otherwise pretty blank canvass of a potentially cool character and made him pretty dull.

Of course the series was OKAY, the episode that reintroduced Mando was the best by far, but the rest of it was pretty meh.

Also don't know why Boba bothered with the Rancor. He could have just grabbed Slave 1. Would have probably done less damage!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2022, 04:07:39 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 02:41:28 PM by Grumpy Gnome »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2022, 04:17:58 PM »
There were a few elements in the series that just didn't work for me, even though the overall impression is still favorable. It still sits comfortably within the mess that is my personal Star Wars head canon (where even Pink 5 is a reality! ;) ).

My favourite parts of the series were the ones with the Tusken Raiders. I felt they really drove his character forward, while deepening the sand people lore to a great degree. I felt slightly disappointed every time he woke up in his bacta tank to continue the present storyline and I was even more disappointed that he left that part of his recent past behind and did not rouse the remaining tribes to fight the syndicate interlopers towards the end of the series!

I'm basing my Star Wars miniatures and terrain solidly on Tattooine, so every and all addition to the lore and background of the place really gets the creative juices flowing. Well, everything except the not-Gentsuki hover-scooters, because... just no. ;D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2022, 04:21:08 PM »
In a series that was really not good from start to finish, I didn't have the misgivings that you all seemed to have. At least this episode had Boba in it! The past two episodes would have been ok somewhere else, but why make whole episodes that don't have the titular character? If anything, I felt like those two episodes robbed me of some time with Boba. But then, he was just a soft-hearted fool the whole show anyway.

From my perspective the good bits were:
1) We got to see Boba not be a ninny for a change. That is a plus.
2) The Rancor (despite being the worst thing that happened to the town that day) was awesome.
3) The super droidekas were cool but kept having these Friday the 13th moments where they kept being right on top of everyone despite being crazy slow. Would have been fun to see something that size roll up in a ball and give proper chase.
4) Fennec was brilliant, but it made me wonder why we didn't start with the "send the assassin to deal with all the trouble" in episode 1. I mean, she clearly was the most lethal of all the characters in the show. Let the lady do her thing!
5) Krrsantan. Despite being shot by a million blasters (each would have been lethal to a stormtrooper as a led or shoulder shot), he manages to hold his own better than the whole crowd of mods. I would suggest targeting mods be next on the list.

The confusing parts:
1) Fennec sniping the mods out of a tough spot, and then hopping down and getting on her speeder bike that was parked like 5 feet from them. But they didn't know she was there? Whoa... that is stealthy!  ::)
2) Cad Bane. I mean, we have a fantastic villain and we KILL him? What possible good does that do for the franchise? At least he was a bad guy that knew his role. I liked him calling out Boba for being a wuss. Boba deserved every bit of that and far more. In fact, Boba killing Bane feels as improbable as anything else in the show. I would have rather seen someone off-screen get the drop on Bane while he was getting ready to kill Boba. Boba suddenly rising up to perform Steven Segal levels of melee combat was terrible. Just terrible.
3) Grogu. Good lord, I'm tired of that thing. I was happier when I thought Luke was taking it away forever, but then it was cute and merchandisable and now we will never be rid of it. That said, the Rancor and Grogu sleeping together was cute. But it was the Book of Boba. What should have been a mobster show and what I got was cute animal videos Star Wars style. Just flat-out pandering garbage.
4) If the goal was to protect the city, wouldn't you want to lead the fighting away from the city? Particularly if most of the city had already turned on Boba? Clearly, Boba knew that was coming or he wouldn't have stationed his lackeys in places where someone said they would stay neutral.
5) Freetown had an APC? Man, that seems like it should have been more helpful.
6) Nobody spotted the super Droidekas? I mean, they didn't materialize a block from the last stand. You would think that someone, somewhere, would have noticed when they got dropped planetside. You can't exactly smuggle one of those in a crate of melons.
7) Were Boba's sand people the ONLY sand people in the entire dune sea? All 20 of them, half being children? I feel like there was this completely missed opportunity to have all the other tribes show up to have Boba's back because he was known to be one of them. That would have been far better than the Freetown nobodies in their confusingly acquired APC. Wouldn't it have even made some sense that Boba could have just told the sand people the Pykes wipes out the one camp, and stir up the hornet's nest?
8) Disposing of the Gamorreans in such an undignified way was callous. Poor loyal Gamorreans tossed aside without anyone even asking "Hey, didn't we have a couple of lumpy green pig dudes in our crew? Anyone where those guys are?" 

I'm salty because Disney took a character that I loved and turned him into something I'm totally ambivalent about. Still, I think the last episode was the best of the season. Maybe just because I no longer have to sit and wonder if it is ever going to get better or turn into something I care about. All the cards are on the table and there are no more chances for redemption.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2022, 05:40:19 PM »
Good points really. I was kinda hoping the Grogu thing would be less of a feature as it felt "done for now" but again its why I suspect it was pulled in to save this season from being 100% meh. Disneys last line of defense.

Also you reminded me about those Super-Droidekas. They were very cool but were ultimately brought down by plot armour  :-*. They were pretty much on target when everyone was behind a Vehicle or Afghan strength mud wall but the moment everyone is fleeing in the open their targeting system goes out the window and they keep hitting short by 15 feet. The Free Town mob and the Mods should have been decimated when they fled.

Also ultimately I was really hoping the Mods would just get wiped out.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2022, 06:06:55 PM »
Well, if we're talking erroneous tactical decisions, why the hell would you bring a Rankor when you've got a gunship in the form of Slave 1 sitting around gathering dust.

Air superiority anyone?

This questioning in itself is the problem. Obviously it's just Star wars, so realism isn't really the issue, but the best sci fi suspends disbelief, it's entertaining enough, cool enough that you don't care. This happened for me in most of the Mandalorian episodes, Rogue 1 and even in Solo, but in BoBF, I was not drawn in enough, I didn't care enough, I wasn't invested enough, not to ask myself those annoying questions.

Whatever, I'm not going to write a Phd on it, it was an Ok way to spend an hour. I just hope that the bar is set higher for the other stuff that is to come.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 06:16:03 PM by hubbabubba »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2022, 06:40:16 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 02:42:29 PM by Grumpy Gnome »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2022, 08:49:19 PM »
Andrew, I do not agree that Boba comes across as a soft-hearted fool or ninny. I do not consider myself a soft-hearted fool or ninny and the character made several decisions I would have.

No, but I also assume that you were never a hired gun for the mafia, nor hired muscle for an evil dictatorship. Boba was.

Ok, so if you wanted to try and do the redemption story, then give it to me like the Godfather. Have Boba try and go straight, and then when all hell breaks loose let him shine as the black-hearted killer for hire that he is. It isn't uncommon for mafia movies to have that aspect of bad guys trying to make good in the world, but ultimately not being able to tear away from their criminal past. I would have stood behind that.

You, on the other hand, are a good guy reformed into a softer good guy. You are Kindergarten Cop, my friend lol. Nothing wrong with that, but this isn't that story... or it shouldn't have been. I mean, it was but I hoped like heck that it wouldn't be. Kindergarten Cop was at least coherent and the little people were genuinely funny.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2022, 04:34:06 AM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 02:43:03 PM by Grumpy Gnome »

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2022, 07:10:31 AM »
But obviously the palace, with its meters thick walls, would have been a much tougher nut to crack in the case of any assault.

Because even a Jedi Knight had to come up with an incredibly convoluted plan to break in (were they all meant to get captured? Why did Luke hide his lightsaber inside R2D2 - what if Jabba sold him to the Jawas? Why was Lando even there?)

I was hoping at the end that Grogu would pull out his lightsaber, cut off the rancor's head, look to camera and say "How you do it, that is".

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2022, 07:30:20 AM »
Well, maybe I’m an exception. I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Especially the last couple of episodes. Didn’t feel anything wrong. And the final episode had awesome action and many funny moments in it!

Grogu? Love him. It’s Star Wars. It needs the cute little guys. And he is pretty cool and has Jedi Master power levels. He can lay a Rancor to sleep. Just so. Wow!

Mando. Nice to habe him back. And I love his new ship. Very excited about season 3!

Cad Bane. Awesome bad guy. He got what he deserved. Star Wars has many ways to bring back characters who died, so if there is a need for an evil gunslinger, I’m sure he will turn into a cyborg.

I am more than happy with the show. Not the best Star Wars I have seen, but very enjoyable evening entertainment after the kids are in bed.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2022, 08:19:50 AM »
Good man :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #208 on: February 11, 2022, 08:22:16 AM »
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2022, 08:46:19 AM »
Thirded

It might not have been perfect (and even then there would have been somebody moan about something) but I'd way rather have had this than another series of Mrs Brown's Boys