Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 06:29:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Connectamabob's black hole sun  (Read 13663 times)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Connectamabob's black hole sun
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 08:31:30 AM »
Clever use of Lego  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 08:26:58 AM »
I am intrigued to see this model finished.

Tony

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 07:52:50 AM »
I really must say I think your entry is the wild card, it is just impossible to tell how this will turn out.

However it will be the best x-wing board out there! I'm really liking how this is coming along, it is just so unusual.  8)  8)

Best of luck
Matt

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2015, 12:29:23 AM »
I'm not dead! Yet!

Just tossing out some quick pics to show I'm still here. Got sidetracked sunday and monday building a pair of Star Trek style space stations to use in the final pics with it, and that cost me. Today is gonna be a bit of a marathon to finish in time, but I'm workin', and provided nothing goes horrible wrong (Lighting! Over here! RIGHT HERE! DO IT, I DARE YOU!) it's still possible.

A double spiral of clouds , relief ground into the underside of the plastic using the Dremel. You can faintly see a layer of interference powder I rubbed on (red on one half, blue on the other, to half-arsedly imply Doppler shift) and sealed down with Future:

The underside painted, still need to add  some wisps and swirls to the top to get the full 3D "pop". Used reference pics of hurricanes from orbit, and Jovian/Saturnine clouds, as the only pics I could find of accretion disks were artists interpretations. Well, except one pic, but it was an itty-bitty low res-image from a tiny corner of a high-res telescope field, so it basically just looked like a 50p wide water ring.

One of aforementioned stations. I made two: a wee Regula 1-ish station (pictured), and a larger proper starbase. Ironically, I doubt they'll be in the final entry pics they were built for, as I doubt I'll have time to paint and base them now. I'll post them in the Sci-Fi boards after the contest though.

EDIT: Hadn't noticed the deadline change. That's super cool. Gives me way more breathing room that I thought I had. Should have zero problems getting done before then, including the space stations (and the FASA Romulan Gallant Wing I found in my lead pile, score!).  Also maybe a better space mat than this plain black felt I've got right now. Rockin'!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:05:11 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2015, 12:32:22 AM »
That disc is amazing, it looks real.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 12:33:46 AM »
That disc is amazing, it looks real.
What he said!  :o 8)
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2015, 06:41:17 AM »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Very smooth.

Cannot wait to see how this one turns out.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2015, 07:09:39 AM »
This is great....

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2015, 07:44:13 AM »
Great progress. I look forward to seeing even more.....

Tony

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2015, 01:35:10 PM »
Impressive!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2015, 10:02:33 PM »
Well cool.  I am impressed.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 12:32:02 PM »
All night solder party:

LED pallet for the disc:

It's a plastic plate from the dollar store, which I drilled holes in to the mount the LEDs and restors to via their leads. This will go under the disc, and will serve as both the LED rig and the base for the disc. Still needs vertical spacers for the disk to rest on, and the LEDs will be masked and the base painted white to act as a light bounce.

Here's the underside, where You can see how everything's wired together:

I threaded the leads through drilled holes and "crocheted" them together in a double ring (triple, if you count the LED/resistor connections) to form a big parallel circuit. Technically I had to break it into two parallel circuits which were then themselves ganged into a single meta-parallel circuit because some of the resistor leads came up too short to connect to their fellows (see more below).

That's twenty LEDs at 20mA/3V each, twenty 750ohm/1W resistors, two 9V batteries, 95 holes drilled, and 68 soldered connections. Took two nights to assemble (somewhere between 6 and 8 hours total).

Apparently I had this in the garage the whole time:

Think I must have gotten it at a garage sale at some point, then forgot about it. Wish I'd found/remembered it when I was doing the fire planet electronics, as it is way, WAY better than the little butane iron I used for that.

Made some mistakes along the way. Resistors should have been arrayed in a sawtooth/spiral radial pattern rather than a straight radial pattern, as with the straight radial pattern the outermost leads turned out to be very nearly too short to chain in a circle like that. Battery wiring is both too simple and too complex, as I made a couple goofs and had to redesign on the fly. Originally I intended there to be a switch, but I goofed the wiring on that, so for now it's turned on and off by removing/replacing one of the batteries.

This project is only the second electronics/lighting thing I've ever done. There's a number of things I'd do differently if I had to do it again, but it works, and is relatively clean. Yay, learning!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:41:32 PM by Connectamabob »

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 12:38:13 PM »
Oh wow.

Really good stuff - really looking forward to seeing finished article

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2015, 01:10:57 PM »
This is looking great!

You should still be able to add a switch but I recommend being careful with the painting/gluing; I had to change the switch twice on my build after paint/glue went into it and it stopped working properly.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »
Well it looks impressive. More so that it's something you haven't done much of.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen