Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:32:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691664
  • Total Topics: 118415
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Britons, Irish,Late Romans, and Saxons  (Read 98949 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote's SAGA Britons, Irish,Late Romans, and Saxons
« Reply #540 on: April 18, 2024, 05:30:16 PM »
Saturday, I brought my Romans to the Vancouver Grand Melee 2024. I played 3 great games against three great opponents. Since it was an "Age of Melee" event, players were permitted to play any faction from any Saga Universe book except for Age of Magic. Consequently I played against a Crusader (Baltic) in the first round, Anglo Saxons in the second round, and Ordensstaat in the third round.  I went 3-0 and took Second Place overall.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #541 on: April 18, 2024, 07:23:46 PM »
Fantastic stuff as usual! Looks like a great game, congrats on the deserved win :D

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #542 on: April 19, 2024, 03:12:25 AM »
Fantastic as usual!  Great description of the troops.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #543 on: April 19, 2024, 12:01:20 PM »
A fine display indeed  :-*

« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 12:41:05 PM by Atheling »

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #544 on: April 19, 2024, 01:19:57 PM »
That is a brilliant looking force.  I love the way you evoke the feel of the era with the aquaduct on the display base being ruined, but also a direct tie in to the actual history.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #545 on: April 20, 2024, 03:50:29 PM »
Damn, I was at Trumpeter's that weekend; I wandered through the Saga event a couple of times. If I had known you were there I would have tracked you down and said 'hello'.  :D

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #546 on: April 28, 2024, 09:30:45 PM »
With Beowulf being the most famous of all the Jutes (some argue he was a Jute not a Geat), even if he is just a myth, he will make a fun subject matter for objective markers. Each objective can be a mini diorama depicting a different part of the epic poem.  As with my Briton baggage markers, I can use the objective markers that tells a story that straddle the line between myth an history.

As I use GS to fill in the gaps and bulk up the shoulders of my Jutes (Saxons), I've been taking breaks to work on my Beowulf themed objective markers. Since my Saxons are not a fantasy (Age of Magic) warband, as with my Briton warband, I want the objectives to symbolically represent that fantastic events. Thus there will be no slain dragons or dead trolls in my markers.

The objective marker on the left is the slain King Beowulf. In the poem, Beowulf eventually becomes king of the Geats and rules for fifty years until a slave awakens and angers a dragon by stealing a jeweled cup from its lair. When the angry dragon mercilessly burns the Geats' homes, Beowulf vows to fight and kill the monster personally. During the fight, Beowulf's sword, Naegling, snaps in half and dragon fatally wounds the king with a venomous bite to the neck. Here, the cup at his feet and coins symbolically represent the cup that started the whole matter and dragon's hoard.

The objective marker on the right depicts Beowulf's fight with Grendel's mother. After realizing that his magical sword Hrunting cannot pierce the skin of Grendel's mother, Beowulf tries to fight the sea-witch using only his bare hands, but she matches him blow for blow. Eventualy, he notices a sword hanging on the wall, an enormous weapon forged for giants. Beowulf seizes the huge sword and swings it in a powerful arc. The blade slices cleanly through the Grendel’s mother’s neck.  Here, the mushrooms and scattered bones represent the Grendel's underground lair, littered with detrius and the many bones of Grendel's victims.

For the last marker I plan to use another Medbury 3D print. Right now, my plan is to bulk up the model's beard to better match the beard in the other objective markers and replace the raised left hand with a hand holding a large severed arm. This will represent Grendel's arm, which Beowulf tore off the beast in the fight in the mead hall, Heorot.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 03:18:57 PM by Koyote »

Offline Dean

• Scientist
  • I'd rather be gaming!
« Reply #547 on: April 29, 2024, 07:08:51 AM »
Inspiring and magnificent as ever mate

Offline macsen wledig

• Bookworm
  • Dave Hollin
    • Society of Ancients
« Reply #548 on: April 29, 2024, 12:38:35 PM »
WOW!
Slingshot Editor, Society of Ancients

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #549 on: April 29, 2024, 11:06:14 PM »
I hadn't planned this, but each objective not only portrays Beowulf at different part of the story and after defeating a different foe, but each objective also depicts a different sword. The broken sword in the dead Beowulf vignette is Naegling. In the Grendenl's Mother vignette, Beowulf is holding the giant's sword. In the Grendel's arm vignette, he is holding sword Hrunting, which is lent to him by Unferth, one of Hrothgar's thegns.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #550 on: April 29, 2024, 11:24:39 PM »
Oh don’t go telling us you didn’t plan it… this was your opportunity to come across as a mastermind and floor us all lol
Looks great either way though :D