Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:59:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 2010/2009 VSF plans? Looking back and forth  (Read 10144 times)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
2010/2009 VSF plans? Looking back and forth
« on: December 10, 2009, 02:25:08 PM »
If you don't mind I would like to start a thread akin to the much posted in "2010 plans". Only this will only be about VSF, which is my main interest right now. (I do have the attention span of hamster, but right now the expression is true).

So my plans are:

Building a three-part VSF scenario about the abducting and then selling off to Martians of the renowned Strauss music familiy. Perhaps including a piece like this (Martian prison:)

I don't know if the floating island thing will ever be realised. But I like the idea.

I should also like to build more boats (I have two right now) and some martians from Wargames (Oh Horror) Factory Zulus. I think that there are parts enough in a pack to create bug eyed 4-armed men. o_o

2009 was my first year in VSF. I started off doing a LOT of infantry, which is always the hard part to get done I think. Jonas and I put our minds to a setting and found out that we were fighting in India over the amazing metal: unobtainium.

Things got out of hand and we've both ended up painting over a hundred figures each. And the good thing is that I am still painting VSF, so I guess it's a keeper.  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 2010/2009 VSF plans? Looking back and forth
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 03:03:31 PM »
Love the city concept! If anyone can pull it off, it is you my friend. As for Wagames Foundry, the quality of their figs have come a LONG way since the Brits came out last year. I had a chance to look at the vikings that just came out at Fall In and have nothing but good things to say about them. They are 100% better. I look forward to seeing your Zulu Martians.

As for my own VSF plans, I will be continuing on with my VSF Dutch army. I have 3 squads and would like to get about 50-60 more infantry troops painted before I treat myself and convert some steam tanks. I may make some more Venusian parrotmen in Dutch uniform using a combination of Kroot and Perry Napoleonic Riflemen. An aeronef is in the plans as well. It will be a good year for modelling!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:19:12 PM »
Looking back, the year started with the colonisation of Venus which culminated in a large joint LAF game involving Myself, Thunderchicken, Dewbakuk, Bullshott, Dr De'ath, Ramshackle Curtis and others.The project is still on the backburner and we hope to return there soon for more fun and games. ;)

The England invaded campaign is ongoing with some small battles taking place, the most recent was at BLAM09 photos somewhere on this board posted by Gamer Mac. :)

Several games have taken place recently involving the British, Prussians, Japanese etc in colonial China. This looks like it will escalate next year into some larger battles. ;)

Not as much VSF painted as I would have liked in 2009, only a few personalities, a unit of Prussians and some steam conveyances.(my focus has been elsewhere) but hope to return to it in 2010 with renewed enthusiasm. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:46:19 PM »
Looking back, the year started with the colonisation of Venus which culminated in a large joint LAF game involving Myself, Thunderchicken, Dewbakuk, Bullshott, Dr De'ath, Ramshackle Curtis and others.The project is still on the backburner and we hope to return there soon for more fun and games. ;)

Please do send an invitation if you ever make another LAF-VSF joint venture!!  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:49:07 PM »
Please do send an invitation if you ever make another LAF-VSF joint venture!!  lol

Hopefully we will be planning a large Chinese VSF game for february/march 2010. I will certainly send you an invite ;)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 06:41:46 PM »
I'm hot to finish my American force, put together a Prussian force and...  ;D

...start a new empire with classic ancient Egyptian overtones which can use my Masai miniatures as part of the military force.  Red, white and black being the basic color scheme and all...  Still haven't been able to figure out how to do this but I'm working on it.    o_o   Any and all recommendations will the thoughtfully considered.   :)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 06:55:59 PM »

...start a new empire with classic ancient Egyptian overtones which can use my Masai miniatures as part of the military force.  Red, white and black being the basic color scheme and all...  Still haven't been able to figure out how to do this but I'm working on it.    o_o   Any and all recommendations will the thoughtfully considered.   :)

Use ancient egyptian heads on top of something else!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 07:07:45 PM »
In this book..

...are a people called the Zu-Vendi. They are a lost white* tribe and their hidden city of Milosis (the Frowning City) in the country of Zu-Vendis is in East Africa somewhere. Quatermain has a dust-up with the Masai before arriving at Milosis. It's a small leap to imagine Masai warriors serving as auxillaries or mercenaries in the Zu-Vendi army. He loved his lost cities and hidden white tribes, did old Sir Henry. Give him his due, the man practically invented the whole lost world genre.

And here is your excuse to make them Egyptian-themed...

Quote from: H. Rider Haggard in "Allan Quatermain"
Their architecture and some of their sculptures suggest an Egyptian or possibly an Assyrian origin...

*By "white" he means not negro. They are described as being of Mediterranean appearance if memory serves, so having them Egyptian-looking is okay I guess.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:11:53 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »

Plynkes had a good suggestion there. Of course the obvious thing is to have a Go'auld (Stargate) system lord emerge in Egypt and cause an uprising. You could then have 'modern' egyptian troops, vsf/sci-fi/ancient jaffa troops, sudanese troops (lets see the Mahdi arrange a religous uprising when the god can answer back :P ), vassal african troops etc.

Of course, it doesn't need to be a Go'auld, it could be a scientist who believes himself to be the reincarnation of Tutankhamun or Nefartiti...
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 09:27:17 PM »

Of course, it doesn't need to be a Go'auld, it could be a scientist who believes himself to be the reincarnation of Tutankhamun or Nefartiti...

This is the direction I'm leaning towards at the moment... details to be worked out... and yes... heads would be lost!   lol

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »
As with just about everyone else, real life and other 'projects' served to distract me from painting and making up everything I wanted to this year.

My immediate projects are to finish the following part-finished VSF forces for GASLIGHT:

• Japanese - steam tanks/walkers, (horse) cavalry and a 'nef to finish the army
  • US marines - a couple of steam vehicles, more infantry to finish a 3rd unit and maybe a 'nef will finish a nice-sized force
  • Prussians - a unit of cavalry and some field artillery will just about finish the army

After that:

• French - lots of ideas to expand my French force for Venus
  • Armee of the Grande Turk - this is my long-term project - I've done a few bits already, but want to considerably expand this force
  • British - more bits to add to my home service force

... and on top of the above I want to do some smaller character-driven games for a steampunk-meets-gothic horror setting, which will involve a whole new set of figures and terrain  :o

Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 09:57:19 PM »
My VSF forces should definitely be expanding this year. I should receive very shortly a large order from Messrs. Perry that will  form the bulk of both my British Cytherean Expeditionary force and my Ottoman Army.

I picked up a goodly supply of the Sudan period Egyptians to use as my Turkish army and will augment it with some strangeness by way of Ironclad miniatures Martians to form the Viziers guard. I've got some vehicles in the half built stage for them as well.

More Victorian Buildings should make an appearance as well and if everything goes well I should be able to have them up for mass purchase from a UK distributor as well as one here in the states.

former user

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 10:10:57 PM »
So, a part of my train project will be certainly very usable for VSF; apart from that, I will finish the Nautilus II from the Revell kit and a small speed attack craft/flying boat (not yet sure).
I will also try to do the huge Gunboat Corvette and maybe attempt a Torpedoboat.
And of course a lot of sailors to go with it.
Maybe also the two Blimps I have parts for

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 10:18:30 PM »
Hmm, lets see, I mostly painted a rather large Parrotman army to a tabletop standard, so this coming year I'd like to finish it off :P

Finish the Parrotman village, parrotman airships, and build some human houses for Venus.

Move house so that I can get everything back out of storage and finish my British Navy force with it's nefs. Build trader nefs.

Have a go at sculpting divers and meso-american jaffa.

Play more games.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 01:52:40 AM »
I have a few things in the pipeline:

1.  Finish off a few steam vehicles I have laying around.
2.  Finish painting my Belgiques.
3.  Perhaps add some more Scorpion riders to my Russian force.
4.  Start work on the Russian aerial units.
5.  Paint a whole bunch of arabs I have as Russian allies

Plus a whole bunch of other stuff that sits in piles on my gaming/modelling table.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'