Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:43:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1730256 times)

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6090 on: March 07, 2017, 01:17:58 PM »

It is what I think a primarch should look like and partly makes me wish Sanguinius wasn't dead-dead.

Only dead until they decide to bring him back.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6091 on: March 07, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »
Only dead until they decide to bring him back.

Well, if any primarch can pull a vampire "not dead but sleeping" it would be him.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6092 on: March 07, 2017, 05:21:02 PM »
True, I suppose.
And then I'd still wonder if I'd buy him.
The new fluff does have me kind of curious what's gonna happen next.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6093 on: March 07, 2017, 05:25:14 PM »
I rather like the Cypher model, and I suspect he's going to be a major factor in sales of this box.
I don't mind Marneus, but I don't think I'd enjoy painting his armour, too elaborate. And I don't go for flaming swords much; but that's my personal view.
I did get the nice little set of gryph hounds, and couldn't resist Slambo, either - the latter in particular: I love classic chaos, and he's quite close to that description, if bigger; and the model with it's nice clean surfaces should be fun to paint.

Offline Humorous_Conclusion

• Bookworm
    • Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #6094 on: March 08, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »
Helmeted Gulliman makes me think of Optimus Prime for some reason.

I think it's a shame they had to bring back the most vanilla and uninteresting Primarch. Given this is all about Chaos, they should have brought back Leman Russ seen as he's supposed to be not dead but lost in the Warp. Still, if they've done one, maybe they'll do more.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6095 on: March 08, 2017, 01:19:57 PM »
I just received the Vanguard-Palladors and Lord-Aquilor mini.  :o

Great sculpts! They are, IMO, probably the best fantasy miniatures I have ever seen. Take that anyway you want, as I'm not a fantasy person in general.

I think I'll be using the lances for my Palladors, but the axes are really cool too. I'm sure I'll find some use for them in the future.

Also worth noting is that the construction instructions are now color printed booklets which, of course, contains the rules and stats for the minis. Very nicely done.

Can't wait to get at them, but have a bunch of minis to finish off first.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #6096 on: March 08, 2017, 03:19:37 PM »
I think it's a shame they had to bring back the most vanilla and uninteresting Primarch. Given this is all about Chaos, they should have brought back Leman Russ seen as he's supposed to be not dead but lost in the Warp. Still, if they've done one, maybe they'll do more.

Simple marketing reason for bringing this one back is that the Ultramarines are and will be GW's poster boys. However, there's an interesting 'fluffy' explanation in the recent White Dwarf: Any other primarch would probably have outright rejected to cooperate with the Imperium in its current state. In the light of this Leman Russ is explicitly mentioned as a poor alternative.

Neither a fan of the Ultras nor the Imperium – heck, nor the game as such! – these latest developments really caught my interest.
And I may have preordered the boxed set…

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6097 on: March 08, 2017, 10:30:33 PM »
I'm not one for 40K myself, but all this plot business has also piqued my interest...

...not enough to add to my grey mountain, but enough to look.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6098 on: March 10, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »
Appears a new starter box set including the Sisters of Silence and Custodian Guards are inbound.

Also appears that 5 figure box sets of both of these units will be coming as well. I may not be able to resist the unit sets...

I also picked up on a really vague rumor that GW may possibly be working on a "NEW" Space Marine to be release towards the end of the year... what-ever that means.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:26:41 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6099 on: March 10, 2017, 05:39:59 PM »
A gold land raider?  :o
I remember the days when the Ultramarines had bling....!
Is it my eyes, or are AoS and 40K converging in more than one way?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6100 on: March 10, 2017, 05:46:28 PM »
Appears a new starter box set including the Sisters of Silence and Custodian Guards are inbound.

Also appears that 5 figure box sets of both of these units will be coming as well. I may not be able to resist the unit sets...

I also picked up on a really vague rumor that GW may possibly be working on a "NEW" Space Marine to be release towards the end of the year... what-ever that means.

God that box is going to sell well..I can already feel the stress of handling the preorders for it....

The new marine rumour seems to suggest that Rowboat Grillmaster is going to take up the mantle of warlord of the imperium and bring in some of that great crusade style technological advancement, Pushing mars to release plans that had been put on hold since the heresy for new marks of armour.

The chances are these will be a similar scale to the custodes mini's, suitably blingy , and act as an extra elite unit alongside the standard astartes.
Personally I think they will be GW's way of getting their marines to true scale without invalidating the entire old marine range, By releasing a technically elite box that people will just use to play as true scale models.

I also have a pet theory that 8th Ed will be a smaller scale of game that current 40k, Or at the very least scale down better than it currently does, in a similar manner to AoS. So we might see a future where 40k can be played between two armies of no more than 15 models and between two armies of hundreds of models using the same ruleset.
If you look at the latests faction releases (deathwatch, genestealer cults, fallen, thousand sons, custodes...All armies that can be played with smaller forces and then fit into larger armies. My prediction is that the 8th ed starter box will be similar to the death masque box and that will be the scale that 40k is marketed at, with everything else being a goal for larger games.)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #6101 on: March 10, 2017, 05:48:21 PM »
A gold land raider?  :o
I remember the days when the Ultramarines had bling....!
Is it my eyes, or are AoS and 40K converging in more than one way?

I really do think that Games Workshop has what I'd call an overall 'Neo-Baroque' aesthetic running through their output over the last couple of years. The predominant use of gold, flowing ornamentation, convoluted poses, and overall theatricality appear to be present in AoS and recent 40K releases.

Personally I think they will be GW's way of getting their marines to true scale without invalidating the entire old marine range, By releasing a technically elite box that people will just use to play as true scale models.

That's what I have been thinking as well.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #6102 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »
2017 marks the 30th anniversary of 40k. For most of this time the Space Marine sculpts have been more or less the same. In particular if compared to more recent designs by GW, they show their age. Space Marines are still a favourite of many, many people and a unique selling point, therefore GW won't phase them out completely. But I can see them slowly shifting the angle towards more modern looking designs for the 43rd millenium while separating the traditional look into a reinforced 'historical' range for the Horus Heresy and its aftermath.
There's definitely room for improvement with the older sculpts – as shown by the latest Deathwatch releases and Marine character models which are noticeably bigger and more 'in scale'. I'm looking forward to what they come up with.

PS: The Adeptus Custodes design is not that new, the actual box artwork comes from the late 90s or early 2000's. The pseudo-Christian or 'Neo-Baroque' tone associated with the Imperium is even older. I would rather think that GW now have the ability to produce kits closely resembling what Blanche and others have envisioned already decades ago.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #6103 on: March 10, 2017, 11:49:10 PM »
Are those custodies different figures than the ones in Burning of Prospero? They look like different poses anyway.
What are the smaller figures? I read somewhere they were Sisters of Silence but they don't look anything like the BoP figures either.

edit: Nevermind. I didn't realize the BoP figures were multipose.I thought they were like most of the character figures in the boxed games and they  only went together one way.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:58:55 PM by fitterpete »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6104 on: March 11, 2017, 01:22:27 PM »
A gold land raider?

Well... I would paint it purple with gold insignia in line with the Sisters of Battle I have already painted.  ;)