Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1730236 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #7425 on: October 10, 2017, 04:28:07 PM »
Indeed, GW works on a cycle so any changes made now wont become really apparent until a few years down the line.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #7426 on: October 10, 2017, 06:14:01 PM »
Space marines are neutered! WHAT!

Now bear with me

If they are forcibly neutered that makes them involuntary celibates.

Aka Incels (google it)

That is possiblly the funniest miniatures joke ever played.

Also explains why the girls want nothing to do with space marines.

lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7427 on: October 10, 2017, 06:20:03 PM »
Neutered!

That explains the angry marines then :o
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #7428 on: October 10, 2017, 07:55:37 PM »
It is kind of implied over the years that the SPace Marine creation process renders them sterile.

effectively suppose you could call it a sort of chemical induced sterility... others put it down to heavy training routines etc - no time for anything else but WAR! Even if they coould - same difference whatever way you put it.

Others suggest otherwise of course, eg slaanesh followers - but hey thats chaos maybe they have a mutation for that, even then its an avoided subject as such for the marines - everybody else is doing it, but they are busy doing WAR! etc etc.

Which is fair enough its a wargame after all

But GW keep well clear of it - bloody good job to.

I think its hilarious though that all those giant super warriors are the equivalent of pretty much Castrati with guns..

But I guess that means they can sing as they War as there is  only War!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7429 on: October 10, 2017, 10:02:19 PM »
That's also funny given that, historically, eunuchs were known for being plump, passionless fellows, for the most part (which was a trait wanted by rulers for certain positions).

The thing about SoBs is the demand has been vocal but that does not necessarily mean popular, people are vocal about squats but most I know don't care about them and don't miss them.

You have to be careful of purely anecdotal "evidence", especially when it's from a community which may be something of a closed bubble, as local hobby groups often are.

As mentioned, many companies over the past 20 years have made plenty of money at GW's expense supplying a demand GW chose to ignore, (which, I might add, is not some new PC "trend" - people have been asking for two decades!). From not-Sisters to IG conversion kits, I think that this is evidence enough that there was and is more then enough money in such things to justify GW producing them in-house.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #7430 on: October 10, 2017, 10:18:23 PM »
Dunno where people are getting the idea that Space Marines are castrated (or that their willies are chopped off as someone on a Facebook thread was claiming). Sterile and asexual probably, but not castrated.

But it does get brought up every time someone suggests female marines, as if they are somehow genderless and therefore no female representation is needed.

From the Horus Heresy books in particular, a lot is made of how they are now 'post-human' and have great difficult relating to or understanding standard humans. Which could of course be a joke in itself.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7431 on: October 10, 2017, 10:23:57 PM »

Others suggest otherwise of course, eg slaanesh followers - but hey thats chaos maybe they have a mutation for that....

There's actually a really good bit in the Horus heresy novel fulgrim about this.

During a concert created by a chaos tainted computer to celebrate the emperors childrens victory over a (chaotic!) alien race, the music being played is so tainted with the warp that it bend reality of drives people to madness and excess. The concert hall becomes an orgy of violence and ..well, orgy.

The marines in attendance are so pumped at the sheer experience of having their super human fortitude pushed to it's limits that when the musicians are slain by demons summoned by the chaotic tune, they grab the instruments and use them like weapons, causing mindless chaotic noise that kills people. It vividly expalins the marines physical pleasure at the flood of sensory experience and the hyper violence they are inflicting as they are pushed beyond their self imposed limits.

They become the first noise marines, But the whole scene is a really well written hint at the possible sexual repression and violent outburst that each marine is capable of.

Many don't like that book but I think it does a really god job of portraying slaanesh as something other than the god of tits and peeps, and as a much more sinister and disturbingly alluring force in so many ways.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7432 on: October 10, 2017, 10:31:14 PM »

From the Horus Heresy books in particular, a lot is made of how they are now 'post-human' and have great difficult relating to or understanding standard humans. Which could of course be a joke in itself.

Indeed. I like the section where loken befriends a remembrancer but is almost constantly confused by her every action or reaction to him, to the point where he finds the idea that a human might have a crush on him utterly impossible and has a serious moment of confused reflection.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7433 on: October 10, 2017, 10:39:45 PM »
the god of tits and peeps,

I think I've found a new line for my resume.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #7434 on: October 10, 2017, 11:53:31 PM »
For what it's worth these days, I recall that in one of the old 1st edition Space Hulk books the marines were, after discovering Traitor Marines,
discussing what could Chaos possibly promise to one of them that could drive them to betray all they stood for and one of the possibilities brought up
was fleshy pleasures of the adult sort and their collective reason for dismissing the possibility was something akin to "their training teaching them the
transitory nature of such things" which seems to suggest that back then they were packing functional guns downstairs.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7435 on: October 11, 2017, 01:26:56 AM »
I think I've found a new line for my resume.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7436 on: October 11, 2017, 06:49:24 AM »
''You have to be careful of purely anecdotal "evidence", especially when it's from a community which may be something of a closed bubble, as local hobby groups often are.

As mentioned, many companies over the past 20 years have made plenty of money at GW's expense supplying a demand GW chose to ignore, (which, I might add, is not some new PC "trend" - people have been asking for two decades!). From not-Sisters to IG conversion kits, I think that this is evidence enough that there was and is more then enough money in such things to justify GW producing them in-house.''

Interesting points, i'd wonder for example, how much third party kits has affected sales/sales patterns, does buying third party(and therefore not buying SoB's for example) throw off the numbers as to GW's eyes less of their products are being bought (and logically they are unpopular?).

I'd disagree on the imperial guard conversion kits, forgeworld has done a few and I recall a very nifty pack of metal heads for conversions...we still need a sprue of great coats though.

I think someone with a thorough understanding of Gw release schedules needs to wade in and educate us as a friend pointed out, this is vital, for example: Inquisitor greyfax while released relatively recently was designed as a hobby piece(not for public sale mind you) a few years ago and therefore, her ''boobplate'' is not indicative of the current trend...but the trend a few years ago.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7437 on: October 11, 2017, 07:58:31 AM »
Multiple sources show that space marines are functional but psycho conditioning, diet, meditation and various biological changes mean they feel no desire, the above character acknowledges a female iterator is classically beautiful but in a wholly intellectual way, he notes that his thinking her beautiful has no feelings behind it essentially.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #7438 on: October 11, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »
Multiple sources show that space marines are functional but psycho conditioning, diet, meditation and various biological changes mean they feel no desire, the above character acknowledges a female iterator is classically beautiful but in a wholly intellectual way, he notes that his thinking her beautiful has no feelings behind it essentially.

and other's including sections of some older GW publications (I think I originally came across something in an old whitedwarf about sterility something so that kind of stuck in my young mind way back then), and more recently some of the novels (I think some of the Heresy ones actually) hint towards sterility or simply no interest/comprehension  in/of that kind of stuff - one comes to mind where a marine was remembering is family and his father saying goodbye when he was taken to be marined, and as he was the last son, although proud realised it would be the end of his family line - his only son becoming a marine and never having children..

I suspect its mainly "whatever flavour you want - done" thing. After all its fantastical sci fi grimness. Depending on the author/s choice they may lean in one or the other direction and change their mind later kind of thing.

At the end of the day we are playing with them primarily making pew pew noises, War! for our entertainment and pleasure, not.. other things.

I remember reading that particular book with the chaos "party" scene and the resulting slaughter. It still managed to avoid the sexualisation of the the Marines even in an orgy, they still ended up killing things, War!

"Hey, Noise Marine, is that a tentacle in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"

"WAR!"

Still its really just opinions on a small aspect of the 40k Universe, something to mention in passing, laugh at the variations and leave it aside just like GW do.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #7439 on: October 11, 2017, 01:11:54 PM »
As for the:

Want plastic sisters, Want space Dwarfs, and we want them from GW.

I think that's basically answering itself, there are those who want them from GW, not some other source, they don't want to kitbash or use proxy miniatures.

It's a bit sad? perhaps, I can understand if its specific to the look/design hopes, that they want the particular GW style as such.

Each to their own. Just enjoy it.

But even if they do roadmap something in the next few years, no guarantee can be implied that it will be anything like what the requester wanted. Its GW after all.

I can be happy just to see what they are doing right now, its not all bad.