Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:18:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1730236 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #8160 on: March 22, 2018, 06:42:28 PM »
Well, I like the new Deepkin creatures and will probably get some for conversions at least.
 ;)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8161 on: March 22, 2018, 07:48:54 PM »
The elf with a cloak that turns into a wave is another case of technical genius. I'm looking at it and thinking "no, can't work, no way that's a plastic kit." but it is.
god damn GW do you kidnap sculptors in the night or something?!

Also like the sound of a website for older models. there are alot of wonderful ,well loved sculpts that are either out sized by current releases or have no use in game, and there isn't a foundry or a ral partha for the moulds to go to.

It's nice to know that GW want to keep their legacy sculpts for fans.It shows a respect to the sculptors and an desire to support the hobby beyond their current output.
who knows, We might even see the brets and tomb kings on there since the steel moulds are most likely still sat around .
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #8162 on: March 22, 2018, 07:54:43 PM »
I think they literally jumped the shark on this one.

Exactly the phrase that came to my mind.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8163 on: March 22, 2018, 08:13:17 PM »
Exactly the phrase that came to my mind.
OK, who's going to make a conversion of Fonz the elf leaping over a levitating shark?
Nice models (I really liked the turtle, especially if it lost the stuff it's carrying), but how do they float in the air - or breathe? Does the mage cast 'sharknado'?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8164 on: March 22, 2018, 08:32:38 PM »
OK, who's going to make a conversion of Fonz the elf leaping over a levitating shark?
Nice models (I really liked the turtle, especially if it lost the stuff it's carrying), but how do they float in the air - or breathe? Does the mage cast 'sharknado'?

Pretty much.

From what we know, The mages of the deepkin cast an enchantment that allows them to move on land as if they were still in the ocean, they can swim through the air.
Imagine you've sent out a patrol to guard the coast , your men are tired, annoyed and cold. The captain shouts down "don't worry lads, These fools can't bring their monsters on land!"
and then out of the deep shoots a giant carnivorous turtle shooting bolts the size of a mans torso, floating on mist and rain and rushing down on them at the front of a tidal wave of cavalry.
You'd be pissed to say the least.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8165 on: March 22, 2018, 08:32:43 PM »
For the now-wacky theme of the AoS setting, I like the Deepkin a lot. Fun models.

Keen to see what the classic model range website takes the form of. It's a money maker for them if they go whole hog with it.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #8166 on: March 22, 2018, 09:13:49 PM »
I see wonderful conversion opportunities for bio-mechanical sharks etc. ridden by ace-looking Eldar Exodites. Dunno about a flying shark in AoS, but a bio-mechanical one in the outer regions of 40k sounds alright!

Like the look of the actual sea elves too. Not overtly good- or evil-looking, whereas GW can get a bit too black-and-white on that in the past.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8167 on: March 22, 2018, 09:26:20 PM »
Like the look of the actual sea elves too. Not overtly good- or evil-looking, whereas GW can get a bit too black-and-white on that in the past.

It seems to hark back to Tolkein's Elves of the Silmarillion, proud and cruel and lacking the wisdom of the surviving races of the later years.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8168 on: March 22, 2018, 09:33:34 PM »
It seems to hark back to Tolkein's Elves of the Silmarillion, proud and cruel and lacking the wisdom of the surviving races of the later years.

I had a similar thought when i saw the elf with the ocean cloak , It made me think of "for the arising of the King of the Sea was terrible, as a mounting wave that strides to the land, with dark helm foam-crested and raiment of mail shimmering from silver down into shadows of green. The trumpets of Manwë are loud, but Ulmo's voice is deep as the deeps of the ocean which he only has seen.  " and the other descriptions of the elves and the vala, Their Raiment often being described as the ocean, the sky, the earth, the woods ect. a borderline elemental force.

Also look at his armour, It's gorgeously art nouveau, With fish faces melding into scales into cloth into water. it's so elegant!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:38:53 PM by nic-e »

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8169 on: March 23, 2018, 03:32:51 AM »
The new elves remind me of some of Blanches older artwork, can definitely see some conversions in some of the minis.

While its good sob's are getting plastic I reckon many will be disappointed when they come out and the aesthetic doesn't match the older stuff (GW has indicated an anti-'boobplate' stance).

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8170 on: March 23, 2018, 04:36:51 AM »
The new elves remind me of some of Blanches older artwork, can definitely see some conversions in some of the minis.

While its good sob's are getting plastic I reckon many will be disappointed when they come out and the aesthetic doesn't match the older stuff (GW has indicated an anti-'boobplate' stance).
We shall see. The recent Saint Celestia plastic kit (only plastic sisters in existence to date) may turn out to be a good example of what's to come, or it may end up fairly different. Who knows?

I'm sure we'll start seeing previews in a few months.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8171 on: March 23, 2018, 05:47:29 AM »
Pretty much.

From what we know, The mages of the deepkin cast an enchantment that allows them to move on land as if they were still in the ocean, they can swim through the air.
Imagine you've sent out a patrol to guard the coast , your men are tired, annoyed and cold. The captain shouts down "don't worry lads, These fools can't bring their monsters on land!"
and then out of the deep shoots a giant carnivorous turtle shooting bolts the size of a mans torso, floating on mist and rain and rushing down on them at the front of a tidal wave of cavalry.
You'd be pissed to say the least.
Oh great, now I might actually want to get them  :D

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8172 on: March 23, 2018, 07:16:39 AM »
The enchantment fails and they are all left wallowing on the battlefield. Now that would be a good spell counter.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8173 on: March 23, 2018, 07:54:27 AM »
The enchantment fails and they are all left wallowing on the battlefield. Now that would be a good spell counter.

Imagine sea elves in ornate armour, flopping about on the shore and gasping for breath - literally fish out of water.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8174 on: March 23, 2018, 08:59:09 AM »
Imagine sea elves in ornate armour, flopping about on the shore and gasping for breath - literally fish out of water.