Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:03:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694005
  • Total Topics: 118578
  • Online Today: 645
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1730331 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1695 on: August 31, 2014, 02:56:58 AM »
I've heard the 9th ed skirmish rumour too, round bases an' all, but I'll wait to see what GW actually do.

Thirded. Except GW Belfast still seems to be doing fairly well. Anyways, these days I generally only go in for some little thing, once in a blue moon - an occasional Black Library paperback especially, or a pot of some specific paint colour, maybe even a WD Weekly. Never minis these days, though. Most of the time I think the same as you two - 'there's nothing I want. I'm just not interested'. (Having said that, couple of days ago I checked what LotR Orcs they had in stock  :-X )

GW Leicester is closed Monday and Tuesday.I can understand during work time, but they were closed during the school holidays and i saw kids looking in the window wanting to buy stuff on several occasions, so they're actually loosing custom in the holidays then sitting there open and empty in term time.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1696 on: August 31, 2014, 03:47:33 AM »
I can't imagine they would change it to skirmish. No more spending big bucks on getting whole units. It just doesn't make sense for them to do it with their current idea of wargaming(which is why they will do it). I think it would be great but wasn't that Mordheim for you? Warhammer skirmish.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1697 on: August 31, 2014, 03:54:13 AM »
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:35:24 AM by grant »
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #1698 on: August 31, 2014, 07:12:28 AM »
I don't really like the faux-native-american look of the Hobbit hunter orcs, and the recent GW painting style of boxy highlights don't help, IMO. It makes me appreciate the older plastics even more. Now the hobby butterfly is whispering at me to buy a load...

I bought some to use as ratskins for necromunda, lol

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1699 on: August 31, 2014, 07:22:05 AM »
I got my wife to pop in for me yesterday to get some inks and she was ignored until the manager came back from lunch (admittedly it was only for a minute or two). She was stood at the front desk with the names of the inks on her phone and the staff kept on playing   :?

Two possible reasons, first is that she was a woman (but I doubt that reason somewhat) or second, she isn't the demographic that the staff have been told to interact with.

Maybe a combination of the two. But seriously, you don't leave potential customers hanging  :-[

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #1700 on: August 31, 2014, 09:10:45 AM »

Maybe a combination of the two. But seriously, you don't leave potential customers hanging  :-[

Absolutely.

Especially when you need them.

I have noticed, with the two GW stores I sometimes walk into (very rare now), the indifference or even lack of attention paid if you are not the "target market" eg teen boy, and accompanied by a suitable cash cow (parent).

I  don't want to be mobbed on entry, but if I pick something up or go to the till, I expect someone to put down the paintbrush and get over to me and take my money.

On a different note, I read the T&Cs for the warhammerfest nonsense, utterly unimpressed.

Obviously something is needed granted, but what they have put in there is just... off-putting.

Never been to one and wish to even less.

Rather attend real events with a broad spectrum that the gaming hobby provides, and buy things that are desirable, interesting and affordable.

On a complete change of thought again, just had to do some plumbing, and have a number of ribbed plastic piping joints, washers and other gubbings, and was thinking, rather than just bin them I could stick some skulls on it, paint it mostly purple and use it as a "not giant new Nagash"...?...

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #1701 on: August 31, 2014, 10:06:28 AM »
I got my wife to pop in for me yesterday to get some inks and she was ignored until the manager came back from lunch (admittedly it was only for a minute or two). She was stood at the front desk with the names of the inks on her phone and the staff kept on playing   :?

Two possible reasons, first is that she was a woman (but I doubt that reason somewhat) or second, she isn't the demographic that the staff have been told to interact with.

cheers

James
Interestingly my wife had similar experience in the local independent store that opened up in our town.she want in twice , second time loudly saying to our 3 yr old daughter. What shall  we get daddy.and was never approached by manager .He carried on war gaming with teenagers so she walked out.i went past yesterday afternoon and it was empty.
I've been in gw cwmbran in Wales and managers seems alright , no hard sales. Where as hereford was the opposite.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1702 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »
They hire for attitude, not experience as they say. If I was an investor and got ignored like that in a store when planning of buying things... Luckily I'm not.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1703 on: August 31, 2014, 11:10:58 AM »
They hire for attitude, not experience as they say.

Yes, and unfortunately it's the wrong sort of attitude  :?

I got to work at Games Day once when I was at the St Albans shop and got moved from what I was doing (looking after a star map of the 40k universe) and was put on to a game as it was short staffed.

Typical GW game, loud and fast moving, the 'GM' shouting (not in a bad way you understand) at the kids about the rules, who's turn it was, what the dice numbers were, the kids shouting back, being boistrous etc. Needless to say, I didn't partake in the shouting part and spoke to kids who asked questions in a normal voice and kept out of it for the most part.

I found out later that the GM complained about me as I wasn't doing what he was doing and I got a talking to by my 'manager'.

What an utter crock  ::)

cheers

James

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1704 on: August 31, 2014, 02:05:17 PM »
Hhhmmmm, I've once seen/heard/experienced a demo like that at a GW store. It was back when I hadn't yet lost the rose-tinted glasses concerning GW, but even then I thought it was an asinine way to "explain" the game.
That and the general atmosphere and pushy selling is why, now my son is getting interested in wargaming, I'm not letting him near a GW store!
I need to show him the full breath and wealth of wargaming before exposing him to "the Hobby"©®™, etc....

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1705 on: August 31, 2014, 02:20:40 PM »
I hope you post those up here on LAF when you're done - those sound like a great idea to me!  :D

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1706 on: August 31, 2014, 02:25:27 PM »
Typical GW game, loud and fast moving, the 'GM' shouting (not in a bad way you understand) at the kids about the rules, who's turn it was, what the dice numbers were, the kids shouting back, being boistrous etc. Needless to say, I didn't partake in the shouting part and spoke to kids who asked questions in a normal voice and kept out of it for the most part.

#1 Reason I've never gamed in a GW store.

Well, that, and most of the staff running the game didn't actually know many of the rules of the game they were supposed to be running! No wonder it seemed that there was always an argument with some of the players. :?

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #1707 on: August 31, 2014, 03:19:44 PM »
I hope you post those up here on LAF when you're done - those sound like a great idea to me!  :D
I'm tempted to buy the warg riders and replace the wargs with giant rats  lol

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1708 on: August 31, 2014, 03:30:33 PM »
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:33:16 AM by grant »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #1709 on: August 31, 2014, 07:31:23 PM »

I thought about that as I typed it. :D They changed that image for ratskins, just before they pulled SG development, into more generic post-apoc barbarians. I'm still not sure if it was a great idea, removing any (most) iffy stereotypes, but sucking the flavour out too.