Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 12:41:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692097
  • Total Topics: 118441
  • Online Today: 589
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help with Latin pronunciation of the 'c' in Principes.  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
Re: Help with Latin pronunciation of the 'c' in Principes.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2024, 01:12:10 PM »
Went through 4 years of Latin, all the way through AP. We were taught that the main difference is between classical Latin and ecclesiastical Latin. Classical pronunciation "c"  is pronounced as a hard c ("k" sound), "v" is pronounced as a "w", "j" more or less as a "y". Church Latin pronounced those differently with eh more modern pronunciation, especially with the "c" being anything from an "s" sound to a "ch."

Offline macsen wledig

• Bookworm
  • Dave Hollin
    • Society of Ancients
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2024, 08:36:25 AM »
thats pretty much how I approach it
Slingshot Editor, Society of Ancients

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2024, 02:16:31 PM »
So glad to see this discussion - which lead me to check up on when ecclesiastical Latin got going, apparently around the 4th century CE.  Ever since I discovered that 'classical' Latin didn't have a soft 'c', just the hard 'c', I've tried to get local folk to understand how to pronounce Veni, Vedi, Vici with little success.  Some people stick awfully hard to the 'familiar' rather than accept that what they were taught or are 'used to' might not be correct.  As said, not really worth falling on a sword over but it is vindicating.  Hmm, I wonder how that is properly pronounced now: Win-di-kate-ing?  lol. Or, according to the stubborn, maybe they pronounce it: Vin-dishate-ing?

Less familiar with the V as 'w' or 'ou' sound but good to know about, though not that surprising from my high school classes in German.

Oh, and I looked this up and found it curious:

"It’s hard not to marvel at the rich history of vindicate. Vindicate, which has been used in English since at least the mid-16th century, comes from a form of the Latin verb vindicare, meaning “to set free, avenge, or lay claim to.” Vindicare, in turn, comes from vindex, a noun meaning “claimant” or “avenger.” Truly, vindex has proven to be an incredible hulk of a word progenitor over the centuries. Other descendants of this “avenger” assembled in English include avenge itself, revenge, vengeance, vendetta, and vindictive."

Is the window cleaner Windex named from this progenitor, too?  When I use it to clean my bathroom mirror am I avenging myself on what I see?  ;)

Language, or just words, can be fun. 

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2024, 07:44:28 PM »
Great discussion with a lot of fond memories of three years at school and two at uni. In the end I came to like it nearly enough to skip archaeology and do classical language instead  ;)