Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 10:37:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693083
  • Total Topics: 118511
  • Online Today: 696
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Doctor Who 1963-64 (Completed)  (Read 29820 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Doctor Who 1963-64 Update 18 Aug - Reign of Terror
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »
Great work, Steve, executed to your usual, thorough, imaginative and ever-so-high standard.
You do not do things by halves, and I admire you for it.
 :)

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2012, 02:51:20 PM »
Wow that does sound good.  A lot of the "internal politics" antagonists in DW seem to be dishonest/faithless priests so an honest (if bloodthirsty) one would be a refreshing change.

Similarly the Doctor's attempts to wheedle out information lead him into a genuinely affectionate relationship with a woman he must then betray and abandon.

That reminds me of one Sherlock Holmes story.  He courts a maid in the suspect's house so he can gain access, then has to dump her at the end of the story.  Very morally dubious...

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2012, 03:57:05 PM »
That reminds me of one Sherlock Holmes story.  He courts a maid in the suspect's house so he can gain access, then has to dump her at the end of the story.  Very morally dubious...

Ah, but, unlike the Doctor, Holmes has no remorse or sympathy for his victim.  A high-functioning sociopath, indeed.

Thanks, Mason.  I sometimes wish that I could do things by halves, though -  I might finish projects quicker.  Anyway, you're one to talk!  Krappefort dwarfs my efforts, and MOOSE isn't exactly a tiny project, either!

Sources again.

Two episodes (“The Tyrant of France” and “A Bargain of Necessity”) no longer exist.  Cosgrove Hall are currently producing animated versions to accompany fan-recorded off-air soundtracks of those episodes for a future DVD release of the story.

Colour photos taken on set show Susan and Barbara (who I haven’t modelled), the Doctor in his disguise, the jailer, Lemaitre, Léon Colbert, the tailor, and some of the soldiers as well as Jules Renan in the plum-coloured suit he has on under that big cloak.

Jean-Pierre is from Perry Miniatures ‘ American War of Independence civilians pack.  Rouvray is a Foundry French Revolution figure (to be found under “Napoleonic – French” on their website), with his hat and sword removed and hair added with putty.  D’Argenson is a Front Rank 18th century civilian with his hat removed, his hair added and his clothes partly remodelled with putty.

The soldiers are fusiliers in ragged campaign uniform from Eureka’s Wars of the French Revolution range.  They are mostly as they come, but the soldier with the striped trousers has had his hat removed and hair and an eyepatch added with putty to match a particular character.

The overseer is a Front Rank 18th century civilian.  I removed the scythe he was carrying and the cap he was wearing, remodelled his coat into a waistcoat and shirtsleeves and added a straw hat, long hair and beard, as well as a purse and pistol.  The road gang are (left to right), a Perry AWI civilian with remodelled hair and a scrachbuilt spade instead of the sack he was originally carrying, a Foundry French Revolutionary with a scratchbuilt pick-axe, and a Front Rank 18th century civilian, miraculously unmodified.

The jailer is a Front Rank Austrian engineer from the Seven Years War.  I remodelled his hair and waistcoat, and replaced his tricorne with a bicorne and a blood-stained bandage.  Citizen Lemaitre is another Foundry French Revolutionary.  I removed an item I couldn’t identify from his right hand, and added a sash with putty.

Jules Renan is a Front Rank 18th century civilian, I think, though I couldn’t find him in their online catalogue recently.  Jean is another figure from the Foundry French Revolution range (I simply removed a walking stick and repositioned his arm), as is DanielleLéon Colbert is from Gary Mitchell’s Space Vixens from Mars range – only now do I realise how much this figure looks like Jeremy Northam.

The tailor is another from the Foundry range.  I removed his hat, added hair and an apron, and remodelled his jacket into a waistcoat and shirtsleeves.  The Doctor is Harlequin DW199.  I added the 18th century clothes, sashes, ribbons and preposterously beplumed hat with putty.  Kublai Khan’s old walking stick is made from a length of brass rod wrapped with fuse wire.  The physician is another figure from the Foundry range, with his hat removed and hair added.

Robespierre is the C-P Models figure of General Kellerman, with his right arm (under which his hat was tucked) removed and replaced, his sword clipped off, and a number of changes to his clothes.  The colour tones match those from the black and white TV image, but the actual colours draw on the contemporary portrait which illustrates his Wikipedia entry.

Paul Barrass is a Perry Miniatures Carlist War civilian with his hat removed, hair added, and clothes remodelled.

General Bonaparte is the C-P Models Young Napoleon, with the plumes trimmed from his hat.  Again, I have combined the black-and-white tones with colours from contemporary portraits.

And here is a shot of all the figures I have put together for this story:

Next Episode
Planet of Giants

(Or perhaps “The Impossible Astronaut”; or something else entirely.)

Woooo woooo ….

Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2012, 06:53:53 AM »
Next Episode
Planet of Giants

Does this mean you can use lots of differently scaled furniture from the doll house lines along with a big plastic fly? So many possibilities.

I just can't get enough of his thread. Fantastic work all around. Between the sheer number of miniatures you convert and the accuracy of your details I'm always excited and impressed when you add something new.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2012, 09:49:51 AM »
Steve – as always, absolutely wonderful stuff. Congratulations on completing Doctor Who's first season!  :)

How many minis in total have you done for this project so far? And how many conversions compared to those painted 'out of the box'?

Thanks, Mason.  I sometimes wish that I could do things by halves, though -  I might finish projects quicker. 

If you want something a little smaller, maybe you could do a Verity Lambert, Sydney Newman and Terry Nation? Or should that wait for the drama-doc coming next year? lol

Anyway, well done and take a breather, at least for a few days. Because I reckon you've got an asylum-full of daleks heading your way very soon!  ;D

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2012, 11:31:47 AM »
How many minis in total have you done for this project so far? And how many conversions compared to those painted 'out of the box'?

Would you like to count?

I make that 141 models, of which perhaps 80% have required at least some conversion work.  Perhaps everyone is right about my sanity.  I may need an asylum of my own.

I just can't get enough of his thread.

Ah, sorry, Michka, but, as oxiana points out, that's the end of the 1963-64 series.  "Planet of Giants" will be the start of a Doctor Who 1964-65 thread some time in the future, but next it's Doctor Who 2011.  I've got three conversions started, and the figures for the regulars and the cast of "The Impossible Astronaut /The Day of the Moon" are all laid out on my workbench.

"Our destiny is in the Lead Adventure Forum; let's go and search for it."

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
That's a lot of fantastic miniatures!

"Planet of Giants" will be the start of a Doctor Who 1964-65 thread some time in the future, but next it's Doctor Who 2011.  I've got three conversions started, and the figures for the regulars and the cast of "The Impossible Astronaut /The Day of the Moon" are all laid out on my workbench.

Great to hear this. I'm looking forward to your 2011 figures.
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2012, 12:26:07 PM »
Very impressive.  Is the writing on the police box freehand?  I am just painting the BTD one up and not sure what to do about the writing.

Offline ballistic_bro

• Scientist
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2012, 02:30:25 PM »
Lovely work, as ever. :)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »
Very impressive.  Is the writing on the police box freehand?  I am just painting the BTD one up and not sure what to do about the writing.

The lettering is from decals I made up and printed.  Unfortunately, I lost the file in my last computer death, or I'd offer to send you a copy.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:32:52 PM by Steve F »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
Bloody hell, Steve, that is phenomenal!

Serious output, with about 80% coversions..... o_o o_o o_o

My projects may be quite lengthy, but certainly do not require the attention to detail that yours require and you achieve.
You have a specific thing that you are aiming at, whereas I just fiddle around until I think it looks right.
You do it so well, too.
THAT is what I admire!

Offline Participant-Observer

• Assistant
  • Good Egg.
Re: Doctor Who 1963-64 (Completed)
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »
(A little late with this but ...)

Superb stuff!  You've actually made me re-evaluate the design work of the first season.  :o
Cheers,

-- David

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »
(A little late with this but ...)

Superb stuff!  You've actually made me re-evaluate the design work of the first season.  :o

Well it DOES look better in colour ;)

Offline Participant-Observer

• Assistant
  • Good Egg.
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »
Well it DOES look better in colour ;)

Truer words, etc.