Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 11:45:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargaming conventions in Kansas?  (Read 632 times)

Offline Captain Gars

• Assistant
Wargaming conventions in Kansas?
« on: February 26, 2024, 04:14:59 PM »
Are there any wargaming conventions in Kansas or its adjacent States? 

A guy, I know, is trying to sell a large number of figures.  I thought he might try getting a table at a convention, if one exists.

Thanks for any answers.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Wargaming conventions in Kansas?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 05:38:12 PM »
ReaperCon in Texas...but being Texas, it's likely still 900+ miles away.  lol

There is NashCon in Tennessee (in..big surprise, Nashville), but that's a good 8+ hour drive, etc.  Only big names I can think of off the top of my head.  There are several decent conventions in Wisconsin as well...but again, nothing immediate to Kansas or particularly close that I know of.  I don't live in that area, so that's probably why.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 10:17:22 PM »
No idea but I'd be surprised if there is nothing in the vicinity of Kansas City - maybe contact appropriate hobby shops and ask.  Or maybe something in Denver. 

There are many smaller local cons that don't get wide publicity.

For your friend: If painted figures that present well, a good chance of a reasonable selling price just not great.  If unpainted, be prepared to sell for a song - and a whispered song at that.  My experience is conventions tend to host a "fire sale mentality" for any used figures, painted or not. 

Crap paint jobs are worse than unpainted figures, easier to give away than sell at times - unless the perfect buyer is at hand and flush.

Now, if very high quality painted figures with good and coherent basing, those figures can fetch a better price.

If enough "complete" armies painted to a better than average standard, having a Vendor Table might just work out well - depends on cost of tables (I did an 'estate' sale at a convention back about 2009 and it cost $250 for tables for a three day+ weekend convention, need to have a lot to sell to justify that kind of cost, which I did).  It's been a very long time - 30 years maybe - since I last saw such a presentation at a convention, many well painted armies for sale, and those armies sold very quickly and the vendor was quite happy.  Need to be ready to go the moment convention starts selling!  Before people who brought cash money in hopes of finding painted armies have run out of funds.  Either as a vendor or if going down the swap meet route.

Nappies, ACW, WWII relatively easy sells, SYW, Colonials probably, Sci-Fi and Fantasy depends on type of convention, all others more or less a matter of luck.  All depends on a buyer in need/desirous with the funds to spend.

Hope you and your friend have good luck.  May he find multiple buyers who all really want his armies and thus keep the prices up!  :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 10:25:53 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 10:09:34 PM »
There is a chapter in the Historical Miniatures Gaming Society (HMGS) that is based in that area. They're called "Heart of America HMGS." Looks like they several conventions scheduled this year:
http://www.hahmgs.org/

Mike Demana

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 10:45:19 PM »
What? No Dorothy Con?

There's no place like home, there's no place like home....
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Old Contemptable

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 06:56:33 AM »
The last time I was in Kansas City I visited Table Top Games and Hobbies. They were having a game convention.

https://tabletopgameandhobby.com/