Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 11:26:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ball-headed Dress Making Pins  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
Ball-headed Dress Making Pins
« on: May 27, 2017, 01:10:04 PM »
Hey ho,

Has anyone ever tried using the little ball-headed pins that you can buy in sewing shops for modeling projects?

You know the ones, the steel pins with the plastic or metal ball on the end?

Particularly, do they have horrible mold lines? Do they take (and hold) paint well? How regular are they in size?

MM.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Ball-headed Dress Making Pins
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
Yes.

I use pins of all types for replacement swords, spears and the like.  Be careful though.  They are very strong and if you are cutting them, take industrial-strength precautions with eye-protection.   ::)

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 02:26:33 PM »
Yes.

I use pins of all types for replacement swords, spears and the like.  Be careful though.  They are very strong and if you are cutting them, take industrial-strength precautions with eye-protection.   ::)

Good to know (will remember to try and not blind myself) but I'm more interested in the 'ball' end. Particularly, I want to add some spherical gubbinz to something.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »
 I use the mapping pins, much shorter pin. They are good for various effects, such as stone balls on top of gate pillars. They push in very easily into foam board, though I always secure them with a spot of wood glue. The cast lines are a pain to remove, but you can make a feature of them, e.g. when I made some into wall mounted security cameras the cast line made it very easily to paint one half as a base & the other as a perspex cover. I have never had a problem getting paint to adhere, but worth cleaning them first.

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 08:47:41 AM »
All of the ball headed pins I've ever come accross have had terrible mould lines or mis-aligned mould halves meaning they aren't particularly spherical. I wonder if ball bearings would work better for you?

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 10:27:21 AM »
The biggest thing I used them for was attaching several to bases for the Star Wars RPG and painted them as Remotes.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 10:30:56 PM »
The ones on the table in front of me (and in the dress my good lady is working on) are free of mold lines but most have a small dimple from the casting injection point.

We have lots of different sized balls all very tough plastic that can shatter - I think these are dependent on the manufacturer rather than deliberate choice.

Never tried painting them - they are very very shiny so I would be tempted to use enamel or a good undercoat first.

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »
I've used them with great success for terrain building.  I bought brass ones so I didn't need to paint them.  No mould lines or anything on them but as mentioned, they can ping a bit when cut.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=89718.msg1107632#msg1107632

3rd picture down shows them off.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 03:02:20 PM »
In my favored scale, I used one to form the core for replacing a miscast figure lacking a head.  Poor guy is bald as a billiard ball.  But it worked out - though he's known for having a 'big head'.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 10:34:19 AM »
You have never considered ball bearings or lead shot? Perfectly spherical and not expensive via Ebay.