Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2024, 11:04:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694920
  • Total Topics: 118643
  • Online Today: 552
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer Cottage  (Read 4730 times)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Warhammer Cottage
« on: July 26, 2017, 12:24:36 PM »
After thumbing through old White Dwarfs I decided to relive the days of the Modelling Workshop articles that showed how to make various buildings for the tabletop. I made a number of models in the early 90's based on these articles but they're long since gone. There was an abortive attempt a few years back to make something but I wasn't using any plans and it didn't go the way I hoped. I still had some of the materials though so I went back to WD 130 that featured the first article on how to build a cottage. It's come together pretty quickly. The only thing that's slowed me down is making the stone chimney. Really enjoying it so far and it's a nice change from bloody painting.

Walls and timbering done.

I tackled the infill for walls a bit differently to how I did back in the day. Originally thinned down textured filler brushed onto the panels sufficed but I wanted something a bit more realistic so I plastered on a mix of filler, fine sand and some barely noticeable static grass.

The plan was to use DAS for the stonework as suggested in the article but that stuff ended up seeming to be useless. It's got no adhesive qualities whatsoever and just doesn't have a good texture. No idea how people make anything out of the stuff. Fell back on greenstuff and much happier.

Currently the chimney is almost finished. It's pretty slow going as I can't do it all in one go for fear of squashing wet putty by accident (which I caught myself doing a few times last night). It's enjoyable though. I know blue foam would be quicker but I wanted to try putty. After that it's just the roof to do and then possibly base the model. Not sure what to do for basing as MDF or hardboard would be my preference but I have no means of cutting the stuff to shape unless I want to buy a jig saw, and a work bench, and clamps and whatever else I might need...  ::)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Warhammer Cottage
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »
Lovely little build  :)

Are you going to paint it the same way you paint figures~?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 12:38:40 PM »
Looks great already!

The plan was to use DAS for the stonework as suggested in the article but that stuff ended up seeming to be useless. It's got no adhesive qualities whatsoever and just doesn't have a good texture. No idea how people make anything out of the stuff. Fell back on greenstuff and much happier.

One tutorial I read the other day suggested rolling out a thin sheet of the DAS, covering the surface it needs to be added to in glue and then add the sheet to the glue, press it down, cut off the excess and texture it. No idea how well it works.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 01:05:16 PM »
Lovely little build  :)

Are you going to paint it the same way you paint figures~?

cheers

James

No idea. It'll take a bit of thought and maybe a little experimentation to figure out. I really hope I don't mess it up though.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 01:08:17 PM »
Looks great already!

One tutorial I read the other day suggested rolling out a thin sheet of the DAS, covering the surface it needs to be added to in glue and then add the sheet to the glue, press it down, cut off the excess and texture it. No idea how well it works.

I guess that could work. I probably won't use it for anything like this but it would be good to find some use for it seeing as I have block just sitting there.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
A very good start, and I agreed that making terrain is pretty relaxing too! :)

With respect to the stonework, I tend to use Milliput. Apply, impress the stonework joins roughly, and let it cure for an hour or so. Then, using a small rock (from the garden, washed), and a little talc to stop it sticking, I impress the rock onto the stones to "print" a stony texture onto them. Finally, just tidy the joins a little where they've been smooshed. Once it's cured, you can further carve the Milliput if you wish, but being careful that you don't pull it off the model.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:56:15 AM »
Lovely bit of modelling right there. Very nice.

Not sure what to do for basing as MDF or hardboard would be my preference but I have no means of cutting the stuff to shape unless I want to buy a jig saw, and a work bench, and clamps and whatever else I might need...  ::)

I'd recommend 3mm MDF (even craft stores have some in smaller sizes, though it's relatively cheap from hardware stores). It'll be thin enough to cut with an utility knife (scoring 2-3 times along the cut) and then using a normal-sized file (cheap from thrift stores, etc). You can then used some sandpaper if needed.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 10:51:45 AM »
Lovely bit of modelling right there. Very nice.

I'd recommend 3mm MDF (even craft stores have some in smaller sizes, though it's relatively cheap from hardware stores). It'll be thin enough to cut with an utility knife (scoring 2-3 times along the cut) and then using a normal-sized file (cheap from thrift stores, etc). You can then used some sandpaper if needed.

For this and another cottage I might have already started  ;) I was thinking of an irregular oval base rather than a squared one so I might have to bite the bullet and invest in some equipment. I guess it it could be useful in the long run if I go on to make a bunch of models. :)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »
Beautiful little build  :-*
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 02:55:28 PM »
For this and another cottage I might have already started  ;) I was thinking of an irregular oval base rather than a squared one so I might have to bite the bullet and invest in some equipment. I guess it it could be useful in the long run if I go on to make a bunch of models. :)

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to scale up the McDeath card buildings, but I'm no woodworker!
I'm watching your build intently to get some pointers for the craft end of things. Really nice work so far.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 07:27:15 AM »
This is a great project. I like how you have filled in the spaces between the beams. In my own scratchbuilding project I haven't filled in anything at all, at although it may look fine once painted up, I can't help but feel I should've done like you've done.

I probabluy also should've posted here on this forum instead of the fantasy forum - oh well - but here's the link iof you're interested:

From the Warhammer Lake-town house interior to a fully scratch-built version

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 08:45:58 AM »
Your cottage looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

I loved those articles; back in the day when WD was good.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline jmilesr01

• Librarian
    • lair of the Uber Geek
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 01:08:53 PM »
Excellent building - I've had the same issue DAS, I just can't make anything with it.  I've never thought of greenstuff bricks. 

As for cutting a base - may I suggest you get a rotary tool (one of the better brands in Dremel).  A wood cutting bit will make short work of any basing material and then you can switch to a grinding bit to bevel the edge.
Miles
http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 09:47:12 PM »
I've finally got the chimney pretty much done. Just need to greenstuff around the pot to make it look the part.

It's really satisfying to see the rather rough foamboard chimney encased in putty. Got the roof in place too. Had to cut it down as the templates were a bit too long for my tastes. Tricky to fit it as the walls aren't perfectly square so I had to fudge it a little here and there. Can't help thinking I could have done a little better with that but once it's tiled I'm sure it'll be fine.

With the chimney taking quite a while to finish I got a little ahead of myself and started another cottage. Guess you can never have too many. :)

On the issue of basing I gave in and ordered a few things. B&Q had a cheap jig saw for £20 and a simple work bench for £10 so a couple clamps thrown in and I'm sorted now. Just need to order some sheets of MDF. Found some cheap 3mm A3 sheets on Ebay which will be an ideal size for working with.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 09:52:35 PM »
Looking good. I love the chimney GS stone work.

So...will we be seeing a whole village soon? :D