Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 05:38:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help with Latin pronunciation of the 'c' in Principes.  (Read 1502 times)

Online olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Help with Latin pronunciation of the 'c' in Principes.
« on: April 22, 2024, 11:27:26 AM »
Hi,

I've always thought that a 'c' was pronounced as a 'sss' sound, as in Crisis, or using a Latin word "Caesar".

Because of this I've always pronounced the word Principes with a 'sss' sound - as in the English word "principal" - prinsssipal.

Recently, I've heard someone (I know did Latin at school) pronounce the word "Principes" as "Prinkipes", as in crinkle.

I did query him and he insisted it was a soft 'k' sound in this context but, I'd like a second opinion.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 11:28:57 AM by olicana »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Help with Latin pronunciation of the 'c' in Principes.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 11:46:43 AM »
My German grammar school "Grand Latinum" is by now a thing of the 1990s' distant past, but the classic pronunciation of "c" was indeed an unaspirated "k", as in "kill" or your example "crinkle". It changed to a "z" from late antiquity onwards if preceeding an "e" or "i" vowel or the "ae" or "oe" diphtongs, hence "Zaesar".

Interestingly, my latin teacher insisted on the "k" pronunciation, whereas my father (who learned latin in the 1960s) was still very much in the "z" camp, and I tend to read it as "z" in my head, too.

It makes the etymology of German "Kaiser" (emperor) much more clear, though, as derived from the title "Caesar".

Honestly, in our context, I don't think anyone will hold it against you either way, and I'll be the first to agree that it may sound a little silly - especially in German, where pronouncing old Gaius Julius as "Käsar"* will make him sound homophonous to the German equivalent of "Cheese-arrh".  I'd prefer some good ol' imperial gravitas and auctoritas over mundane piratical milk products. ;)

*: I do know the correct pronunciation of the diphtong would be something like "aye", but it is commonly transliterated as an ä umlaut, and otherwise the following joke wouldn't work.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 01:58:18 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 01:04:07 PM »
My Latin lessons were back in the 1970's so things may have moved on a little but we were taught to pronounce c as k rather than s. So, pinkipes rather than prinsipes.

Certainly those people on Youtube, and the like, who seem to know what they are talking about also pronounce it as a k.

As a tangential point, we were taught to pronounce v as w. So, Welites not Velites, which also seems to be a thing online.

At school I was good at translating Latin into English but rubbish at English into Latin my defence when challenged on this by my teacher was that I was unlikely ever to have to converse with someone in Latin these days but I intended to read Roman military treatises in the original wherever I could.
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 01:30:30 PM »
You're right, the latin letter C is pronounced like a K. The pronunciation like a S was the one of the Middle Age until the XXth century and remains in latin modern languages (french, spanish, italian...)

So you have prinkipes, welites... if you want to speak latin like a well-educated caesarian aristocrat...  :D :D :D

Online summsi

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 01:49:27 PM »
At my (Germany late 80s) school we were taught that written c is pronounced as k. But older people pronounce it like c.

Online dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 03:04:16 PM »
In school (1960s) and University (1970s) we were taught that "c" was hard as already stated but "v" was not "w" but "v" so "Veni, Vidi, Vici" was "Venee, veedee, veekee" not "Weni, Weedi,Weesi". 

But who actually knows?
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 04:19:57 PM »
Classics Department at Harvard University teaches classical pronunciation as c = k and v = w.

Prinkipes, Kaesar, and Kikero!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 08:11:11 PM »
In school (1960s) and University (1970s) we were taught that "c" was hard as already stated but "v" was not "w" but "v" so "Veni, Vidi, Vici" was "Venee, veedee, veekee" not "Weni, Weedi,Weesi". 

But who actually knows?

We do. There are plenty of texts where we can see latin names in other alphabets (eg Greek). And we know 'Victoria' was pronounced 'ouiktoria' not *'fistoria' or *'bistoria' or *'biktoria' or whatever.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 11:03:46 PM »
It's called the Kentum and Satem split the pronunciation changed way back when.
Modern Ecclesial Latin is a soft S too so don't be fooled by that.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2024, 12:22:05 AM »
Modern Ecclesial Latin is a soft S too so don't be fooled by that.

I'm pretty sure the German ecclesiastical Latin keeps the K, but the rest of Western Europe lost it.

Online dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2024, 11:16:49 AM »
We do. There are plenty of texts where we can see latin names in other alphabets (eg Greek). And we know 'Victoria' was pronounced 'ouiktoria' not *'fistoria' or *'bistoria' or *'biktoria' or whatever.

From what I was told back then the Ancient Greeks (possibly others) did not have the "vee" sound of the Latin "V" and used the ou diphthong, or the consonant b instead.  So any "W" sound by Latin speakers is inferred not known as the Greeks did not use that sound so needed an equivalent.
Not worth dying in a ditch about as I'm unlikely to chat to an Ancient Roman any time soon.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2024, 12:45:28 PM »
But they don't use 'b'. Or 'f', or anything else, they use 'ou' consistently for 'v'.

What we're arguing about is whether latin had two values for 'v'. Because if you think the name Julius was pronounced 'Iv-livs' I can't help you. So your argument must be that sometimes 'v' was pronounced 'u' and sometimes 'v', but the difference only exists in spoken latin.

But because Greek consistently transliterates 'v' as 'ou', you'd have to posit that those transliterating the latin were doing so entirely on the basis of the written language and never the spoken language. That doesn't seem feasible, that Greek scribes never heard any spoken latin. That they would give placenames in a transliteration of the official spelling (so, Ouiktoria for Victoria and NEVER Biktoria or Fiktoria, even though you're positing that people called it Victoria-with-a-v and not Wictoria-with-a-u).

The only evidence we have for the sounds of spoken latin is by comparison with other languages. You're right that you're not going to chat to any Ancient Romans, neither are any of the rest of us; but then, it seems peculiar to invent a second pronunciation of 'v' for which we have literally no contemporary evidence - only the much later 'evidence' that later on, some 'v's were pronounced as 'v' and some as 'u'.

Ocham's razor suggests classical latin was not pronounced like modern Italian. Weni, wedi, wiki, not veni, vedi, vitchi.

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2024, 02:19:44 PM »
Red Orc is right. I studied classical latin five years in the 1990s and we learned the classical pronunciation (first century before C.). The letter V is just the capital letter for the u which sound like the french "ou" or the english "w".

With the time and the places, the sound of letters changed.

So VENI VIDI VICI, ueni uidi uici = wenee, weedee, weekee !

I hope soon a battle report entirely in latin, with a video for the pronunciation  :D

Online dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2024, 05:28:00 PM »
What we're arguing about is whether latin had two values for 'v'. Because if you think the name Julius was pronounced 'Iv-livs' I can't help you. So your argument must be that sometimes 'v' was pronounced 'u' and sometimes 'v', but the difference only exists in spoken latin.

Not my argument. No argument at all.  I repeated what I had been taught.  I'm not fussed one way or the other.

Online olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2024, 11:43:15 AM »
For someone who did not do Latin at school (most kids in my class found basic English hard enough; most of the kids spoke a dialect best described here as Neo-Saxon), that's all very interesting: Everyday is a school day. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 11:45:14 AM by olicana »