Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 07:44:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691965
  • Total Topics: 118427
  • Online Today: 696
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old School Fantasy Painting Log (Updated 24/12/20)  (Read 20735 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
That's too cool  :o

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
It looks like a great start to me.
Full of promise.
 :-*

Thanks very much, I can't take full credit as I'm sure I nicked the idea from someone on this forum. ......

You may well have been unconsciously inspired by Jacques magnificent sewer boxes.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
That is a rather good idea. Looking forards to seeing how this looks.

Offline ilikepaintinglead

• Librarian
I've nearly finished the first box section I'm just waiting for the varnish to dry and I've got a few little walkways to create but it's pretty much done.

Let me know what you think and let me know if you need anything explaining.

P4200037 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P4200047 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P4200041 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P4200039 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P4200038 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P4200046 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P4200043 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P4200042 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

My Blog:
http://ilikepaintinglead.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
That looks gorgeous, ilikepaintinglead.
Great work with the contents of the channels, greath depth created there!
 :-* :-* :-*

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
SPLENDID WORK! You've created a very evocative, eerie setting that would be proper in a variety of gaming genres. It's one of those WONDERFUL pieces that continues to yield new details with each viewing.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
That sewer water is wonderful! Tell us your secrets!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

• Librarian
Thanks everyone, I'm chuffed with the result!

@FramFramson, No huge secrets really just polyurethane gloss varnish poured over a mix of sand, grit, other detritus and PVA. I took the pictures last night and it looks like the varnish has shrunk/sank a fair bit over night so I might have to add extra layers whenever it dries which isn't really happening at the moment  :?

That sewer water is wonderful! Tell us your secrets!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Fantastic! The sewage looks sooooo disgusting. And everything exudes a clammy sense of dampness.

Great atmosphere!
Jevenkah

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Fantastic! The sewage looks sooooo disgusting. And everything exudes a clammy sense of dampness.

Great atmosphere!
Jevenkah
Yes, that really looks like some water you want to stay well clear of!

Really nice work.
How does the lid of the box work? Will it get in the way or are your removing it?

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I would try to use words, but they are totally useless o_o o_o :-* :-* :-*

• Librarian
Just a quick update, DON'T use polyurethane gloss varnish for water effects, it looks awesome when it's still wet but as it's been drying mine has started go cloudy and has completely shrunk :'(

I've gone out and purchased some of this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111042007347?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
looking at the reviews online it seems pretty easy to use so hopefully I can save the sewer over the weekend.

@Dijit - I'm still undecided on the box lids, I'd like to keep them that way everything will stack better but they will get in the way once opened, decisions, decisions...

Yes, that really looks like some water you want to stay well clear of!

Really nice work.
How does the lid of the box work? Will it get in the way or are your removing it?

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
On the box lids, I'd leave them; re, once the Adventurers leave a section the lid is closed again. Members of the party must draw on their memory as to what the area actually looked like AND, if you use a DM/GM, you could add some nasty surprises for a return trip...BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Librarian
Sorry for the distinct lack of updates recently, sometimes the hobby mojo's not there and I don't like posting if I don't have anything to show off. My creativity was sparked with some amazing recent ebay scores, the first being this huge pile of old school goodness for the princely sum of £32:

stuff2 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

This is how it appeared on ebay so I took a gamble and placed a bid, the lead gods were smiling that day and verily they decreed that the haul was good and the rot nil.
I'll post up separate pics of everything I've sorted out at the end of the post if you fancy a look.

Here's a couple of shots of the first two mini's I pulled out the pile and subjected some brush work. First up we have a Fantasy Specials Female Tortouress with sword from around 82 (I think):

P5050049 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P5050053 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P5050052 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

Not sure why I went with the blue on the sword and shield but I think it works really well in contrast with the flesh-tones and the red cape. Not really sure if it's that noticeable but  on the left hand side of the base I've added a tiny little mushroom that I knocked up a batch of:

P5050039 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

Next up we have a citadel Barbarian that I can't for the life of me find on Stuff of Legends so I'm not sure what range he's from:

P5050046 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P5050042 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

This week I also came across this great idea from Chris's Gaming Journal that I've stolen, he's basically used a Magic the Gathering card creating program to create cards for his All Things Zombie campaign:
http://cthulhuchris.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/15mmcouk-hooded-executioners.html
I ran with this idea and knocked up some cards using the Song of Blades and Heroes rules and an online warband creator (http://www.wombatzone.com/files/SBHform.html)

P5050054 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

The idea behind the cards is that I can grab any of my painted mini's dig out the corresponding card and knock up a warband quick sharpish, so far I've got about 60 cards and I've just got myself a printer so I don't have to sneak print things at work anymore and I can churn out cards as and when I finish a mini.

P5050057 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

The warband creator lets you create brand new creatures and classes and totals up the skills etc and gives you a points cost which I've added to the top right of the card.

Back to the initial haul, I've managed to strip a lot of the stuff already and undercoated and based up some choice pieces ready to sit on my shelves for an age, I'll save listing where everything's from and which range until they re actually finished but as far as I can tell most of the mini's are really early Citadel slotta and pre-slotta:

P5050031 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P5050036 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P5050035 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P5050034 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P5050033 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P5050032 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P5050030 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

P5050037 by headnhalfilikepaintinglead, on Flickr

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Old School Fantasy Painting Log (Updated 09/07/13 new mini's)
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2013, 12:06:34 AM »
OH BABY! There are WONDROUS THINGS looming on the Horizon here...the Babe in the Hood is already BEAUTIFULLY DONE. I'll keep an eye out for any updates...have FUN with all the new minis!