Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:06:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694140
  • Total Topics: 118583
  • Online Today: 545
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ancient Greeks - First games with To the Strongest  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Ancient Greeks - First games with To the Strongest
« on: May 08, 2024, 04:09:17 PM »
As a departure to our usual Hail Caesar ancient games we thought we would try To the Strongest. It was also the first time my ancient Greeks marched onto the table - lots of pics and a mini review on the blog

https://shedwars.blogspot.com/2024/05/first-time-using-to-strongest.html

Hope this is of interest

Offline Ran The Cid

• Bookworm
Re: Ancient Greeks - First games with To the Strongest
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 04:27:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  As a long time HC player, I'm thinking of switching over to TTS for convention games.  Did all of the players read the rules ahead of time?  Or did you need to coach everyone through the rules as you went?

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 06:47:57 PM »
Our first game we had 4 players . Two of us had read the rules but nobody had played before. Coaching was easy as it is very easy to explain....BUT the nuances of which unit to activate and when add both a tactical process and a degree of jeopardy. I should have seen this coming as one of my players likes to work out every possible permutation before he makes a move - this meant the first game dragged a bit as he had to come to grip with the rules and work out his plan.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 06:13:42 AM »
I would say "easy to learn hard to master" . As Greek Hopkite armies have relatively few troop types should be OK. Be sure to download the latest set of "Even Stronger" rule modifications and associated QRS from the Big Red Bat webstore.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 04:18:35 PM »
I should have seen this coming as one of my players likes to work out every possible permutation before he makes a move

My local opponent, Ian, is very good at planning a turn or so ahead, so when I wrote TtS! I introduced a considerable degree of chance via the activation process, to mess with his head. So it's his fault! ;-) 

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 11:59:04 PM »
Looks great! I have a copy of the TTS rules (after being recommended them on this very forum) but have yet to use them- looks like they have your recommendation though!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2024, 05:46:34 AM »
Simon, I watched a game of FK&P whilst visiting a friend's club last night. They were activating units using D10s rather than chits or cards. To my mind this gives a different "feel" to the game and I said so, but the players said that you have OK'd it in the rules. Intrigued as to your view?

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2024, 09:11:47 AM »
Great looking game Eric.

We to have used TTS for large multiplayer games and it works a treat. Even with players who don't know the rules or who are not used to wargaming at all.

My only slight nag about the rules is that you cannot really stack your odds. Because everything is depended upon the draw of a card. Other than heroes that gives you a reroll (or rather redraw). You cannot set up a charge with supporters and flankers to stack the odds in you favor.
But other than that I find that games of TTS always gives a very satisfying "feel" of a battle.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2024, 12:45:32 PM »
A flank or rear charge gives you a huge advantage; you draw two 'to hit' cards instead of one, and the flanked unit does not get to fight back.
Depending on the activation draw you may get another go as well.
If you also have a unit to the front, and the opponent survives the flank attack, you can have another go with that unit against the hopefully disordered enemy.

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2024, 10:46:01 PM »
Eric
Looks Great Mate Bravo !!!!!
I like the terrain as well.
TTS is an Excellent System, however we found it not Optimal for Hoplite Warfare .
As SJWi mentioned with such few and similar Troop Types we found it was a Bit Vanilla , and did not capture the right feel for us anyway .
My Mate "Chromed" up Hail Caeser , where the Trait System could really shine it was a lot better .
However when we played Punic War using  TTS ,  we had a great Game . :-* :-* :-*
Dr Zombie , I do find the TTS System to be quite elegant, quick and simple  in the way it handles the Fog of War / Friction of War , ie ..cant stack the odds or organise an  effective flank charges and supports .. to me thats a Good Thing in Hoplite Warfare in Particular was not about that ..but Horses for courses .
Cheers

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 05:29:52 AM »
Although a devotee of TTS I do find some periods a bit bland, needing more "chrome" ( as an old friend would say...). Wars of the Roses would be one, but even in these cases judicious use of Stratagems can help add "period colour".

For helping "stack the odds" IMHO that's what the Generals with their various re-roll abilities are for. Yes the rules don't cover units supporting another ( as in many sets) but personally I have never missed this aspect.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2024, 09:01:12 PM »
It was also the first time my ancient Greeks marched onto the table

Well, they look bloody fabulistic!  :-*

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2024, 10:19:43 PM »
I agree
They Really do look quite Smashing.