Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:40:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694505
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 538
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (update: D&D(&D))  (Read 269011 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Goblins?!)
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2015, 09:30:03 PM »
 lol lol lol

I'm on the edge of me seat!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Zogmar)
« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2015, 06:39:47 AM »
In homage to typical post-public GW marketing, I will follow that last post up with a big let-down. ;)

As I continue to work on the big armies of Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (MvU), my mind has recently been wandering into two lines of thought...

One is that I may return to an alternate Warhammer (AltHammer?) setting after all, rather than something entirely new. At least for now. There is still too much of it that I like. However, the "local" setting will be all mine.

The other is that I think I may try delving into some smaller or skirmishy games too. Maybe I will tie these together with my plans for the MvU campaign. Maybe they will just happen in the same setting, but not interact. Who knows. At any rate, I'm looking at what I can put on the table right now -- or with minimal painting or touch-ups. I still have a lot of painting & basing I want to do before MvU, but I'm also itching to play a game soon. Just for fun I'm starting by digging out the stuff I hadn't planned on using in the MvU. Ancient figures. Some painted back in the days of 3rd & 4th ed. WFB. When I pulled out the goblins I previously posted, I also found the half painted model I have now dubbed....

ZOGMAR.

Working on a name for his hammer. Maybe a wyvern upgrade. ;)

I also based a couple of old wolves...

And some more troops to support the gobbos...

I painted over the Goblin Green base edges on these relics from ages past. They may be one of Zogmar's first encounters.

As with the big game, I'm a little indecisive about what rules to use. The more I see/read about the Oldhammerers around the internets, the more nostalgic I'm getting for 3rd ed. So maybe I will give that a shot. Or maybe even 2nd, which I've never actually played. Or there are a few other games I might be willing to try.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2015, 08:28:14 AM »
How about "Hitty the Hammer"
That looks really good.
Wolf fur is great too.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Skeletons & Ogres)
« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2015, 11:44:07 AM »
what do you use for the short grass on your bases - looks great, and am hoping it's not static grass?

I finished up five more bases of Mantic skeletons, and finally based the undeadish ogres (Golgfag v.2.)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2015, 01:02:31 PM »
The new Old Stuff looks FANTASTIC...you do have a way with the brush AND an eye for colors. VERY WELL DONE One & all!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2015, 04:11:34 PM »
what do you use for the short grass on your bases - looks great, and am hoping it's not static grass?

Thanks. After applying the glue, I dip the base in a tub of Woodland Scenics flock (a mix of green and just a little yellow,) shake/blow off the excess, then dip into a tub of static grass, hold that upside-down and tap the base a few times and blow off the excess.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2015, 04:30:23 AM »
Wow. Delving deeper into the boxes in the attic...

Thumpers!

Anyone else remember these? I believe they are Tom Meier goblins/orcs re-touched & cast with a new rabbit look. I've got around 40 of them in various states of repair and painting. I had built enough to use with Hordes of the Things and then stopped.

I wonder if I can rebase & find a use for these. :)

There were a few other things in the box/HotT army, like some Fortress Figures "Hareballs." I will get to those later.

UPDATE: Doing a little research, from what I read, they only appeared in this 1995 catalog (link below.) Thumpers are on pages 13 & 14. The orcs they're based on are on page 12.

http://www.dndlead.com/Catalogs/RalPartha1995.pdf

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:44:08 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2015, 04:10:31 PM »
I LOVE LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE that "Age of Zogmar" logo!!!!!

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »
Yeah that logo (and the minis) is ace!

Can I have a picture with it!?
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #234 on: July 21, 2015, 09:55:54 PM »
That looks a great HOTT army!

I can't help but thinking that there's something mildly heretical about those Ral Partha rabbit-men, given that the original orcs are so good. I have some gnolls or beastmen that are also converted from them and which carry the same hint of vandalism about them.   :D

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #235 on: July 22, 2015, 09:32:15 AM »
right, thanks for the info. Neat approach which looks great.

Thanks. After applying the glue, I dip the base in a tub of Woodland Scenics flock (a mix of green and just a little yellow,) shake/blow off the excess, then dip into a tub of static grass, hold that upside-down and tap the base a few times and blow off the excess.

Offline Thew1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #236 on: July 22, 2015, 09:24:25 PM »
Wow, you have been very busy sir! Puts my painting output (or lack thereof) to shame. Loads of brilliant stuff here. The undead Dragon fits in perfectly with your undeadish and the little green fellas look great. Top job  :)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #237 on: July 23, 2015, 04:02:58 AM »
Yeah that logo (and the minis) is ace!

Can I have a picture with it!?

The logo? If you want, you can download the pic of just the logo from the previous page.

I can't help but thinking that there's something mildly heretical about those Ral Partha rabbit-men, given that the original orcs are so good. I have some gnolls or beastmen that are also converted from them and which carry the same hint of vandalism about them.   :D

They really are great sculpts, as are many of the old Ral Partha figures. When I was younger, my friends and I got hooked on Citadel & Grenadier, and unfortunately we passed over a lot of the RP figures because if the size difference. I do still have some other RP figures, but none of the goblins/orcs. I may have to remedy that at some point.

Wow, you have been very busy sir! Puts my painting output (or lack thereof) to shame.

Thanks. Bear in mind that a lot of that stuff I posted recently -- the elves, goblins, trolls, rabbits -- were painted long ago. I'm just digging my collection out of storage to see what I can put to use in my renewed interest in the hobby. Some of it is unpainted, but some is already painted and hopefully seeing a new life soon.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #238 on: July 23, 2015, 10:07:45 PM »
This thread is very inspirational - thanks for all the lovely pictures and ideas.

-Michael

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #239 on: July 24, 2015, 06:00:52 AM »
Thanks!

I've made some decisions.

I've decided to go with the heater shields on the Nightmare Legion. I filled & sanded the small holes on the face of them, and glued them to the figures. So here they are -- ready for some primer! I would like to put them on 40x40 bases like everything else in this project. Seems a bit heretical. I'll end having to trim the slotta tabs too.

Another decision I made was to go back to the Warhammer setting for my (eventual...) narrative campaign. I'm still going to mix it up a bit. I think I will turn the clock back a bit from the early 26th century of the recent official stuff, to somewhere in the neighborhood of the mid 25th century. I may also deny that the Empire was reunited by that point. I will be scribbling out drafts for my own map, and jotting down notes specific to a local campaign plot & local setting. It will probably be in the western Wasteland (Merienburg's hinterland) between the mountains & border with Bretonnia and the city of Marienburg itself. That gives me mountains, plains, swamps, small villages, minor fortifications, trade routes, a mining town, etc.

So I guess this will be closer to Oldhammering it, after all!

Making these decisions will help steer me back on course, after starting to get sidetracked. If you're reading this, chances are you are a painter and/or gamer -- you know how it is, right? I'm still going to work in the other old figures I've dug out, and maybe try to work out some solo skirmish gaming. But I'm going to resist the urge to put painting, modeling, etc. work into those distractions. Even though I will be modifying it, since I will be sticking with an established setting, I will also minimize that distraction as well.