Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 10:51:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691994
  • Total Topics: 118429
  • Online Today: 696
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (update: D&D(&D))  (Read 267778 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Nightmare Legion test)
« Reply #255 on: August 07, 2015, 10:14:44 PM »
Rather than rebase the Marienburgers that are already painted, I've decided to just make some simple trays for them. Here are the first two prototypes, loaded full of sword & buckler men.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Trays of Marienburgers)
« Reply #256 on: August 08, 2015, 01:16:59 PM »
They are a HANDSOME Crew of Rogues & the movement trays tie them together BEAUTIFULLY. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #257 on: August 10, 2015, 12:54:55 AM »
They look amazing! Are they mostly metals or plastics?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2015, 01:02:12 AM »
This thread continues to be one of the best on this forum.  Outstanding work.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #259 on: August 10, 2015, 03:01:14 AM »

Wow, thanks!

They look amazing! Are they mostly metals or plastics?

The troops are mostly plastic -- 5th ed. multi-piece, with some occasional bits from other models thrown in. The bucklers are lead, I think from Old Glory.** The champions, standard bearers, and musicians are lead.

** I didn't care from the anachronistic shields they came with. I realize it's a fantasy game, but they still looked out of place.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #260 on: August 12, 2015, 02:20:59 PM »
Wow, lovely-looking stuff!  :-*

I confess that I wasn't overly fond of the 5/6 edition plastic Empire soldier kits at the time, but your efforts (and others I've seen) have rather changed my mind. :P

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Variety Update)
« Reply #261 on: August 13, 2015, 05:20:28 PM »

Before I get to my next update, I wanted to mention that although I don't comment a whole lot, I really enjoy all of the other projects, figures, and such shared here at LAF. Most of my viewing of these happens on my phone during the little "in between" times of the day. As a result, I don't reply a whole lot because I hate typing on a phone and I frequently don't have more than a few minutes in which to look & reply before being interrupted anyway. But I just thought I should mention that LAF has really become my new favorite gaming/painting site, and everything posted here is just amazing and inspiring. I will try to find time to comment more frequently.

Parallel to that, thank you to everyone who has used a bit of their valuable time to leave words of advice, criticism, or encouragement here on my own project.

Now, before I get all emotional, on with the update.  :)

I confess that I wasn't overly fond of the 5/6 edition plastic Empire soldier kits at the time, but your efforts (and others I've seen) have rather changed my mind. :P

At the time they were first released, I wasn't as fond of them either, but that's because I just wasn't into the landsknecht look at all at that time. However, since then, they were the initial inspiration for me to start an Empire army!

Time has been tight lately, so the things I've been working on are those which I can spend 5-10 minutes on, then step away for a few hours or days, then come back and work on for another 5-10 minutes.

I finally finished a commission that I've been slowly working on for a few months.

I also started on some terrain a week or two ago. Finally finished today, with the addition of the grass flock. Inspired to get back to the Marienburg/Wasteland theme a bit.

I would really like to do some larger terrain, but can't manage to get the hour or so I need during daylight to go outside and make a mess with a saw, file, and sander outside to make the hardboard bases. Plans include larger marsh/swamps, river & road sections, and a tumulus.

And lastly, more progress on making a few new movement trays at a time.

I am starting to regret not putting a metal or magnet-receptive material on the trays as I did with the older WFB sized trays. The standard bearers like to tip over a bit too much.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #262 on: August 13, 2015, 06:36:53 PM »
Highlights on that griff...  :-* Everything looks great, though. That's an impressive lot of Marienburgers.

And yeah, this place is good, innit? Great focus on gaming and modelling, and not just on a scant handful of games or ranges.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:39:41 PM by Vermis »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #263 on: August 14, 2015, 03:34:00 AM »
Thanks!

One more pic to add. I finally finished the bases on a couple of quickly painted old townsfolk.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #264 on: August 14, 2015, 12:27:33 PM »
[warm fuzzy feelings towards LAF]

Totally agree!  8)

At the time they were first released, I wasn't as fond of them either, but that's because I just wasn't into the landsknecht look at all at that time. However, since then, they were the initial inspiration for me to start an Empire army!

I liked the Landsneckt look, but those plastics didn't fit the older metal models as well (or so I thought), and that combined with the large-looking heads put me off.

I do like the newer plastics too BTW, but I feel that some judicious head-swaps and trimming off of skulls/bones helps them a lot! Then again, I could say the same about a lot of GW models.

I also started on some terrain a week or two ago. Finally finished today, with the addition of the grass flock. Inspired to get back to the Marienburg/Wasteland theme a bit.

Looks good - foam I assume?

I find that if you take a rough rock from the garden and press it into the foam strategically, if transfers the texture and makes the foam menhirs look more realistic.
If you've only painted them, you might still be able to do that now and touch up the paintwork if you like.

I am starting to regret not putting a metal or magnet-receptive material on the trays as I did with the older WFB sized trays. The standard bearers like to tip over a bit too much.

Can you not drill a hole near the front of the tray's base and recess a single magnet into it where the standard bearer will be?

Not as good as doing the whole base, but it's a simple fix in a pinch to stop the model nose-diving at every chance!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #265 on: August 14, 2015, 05:47:18 PM »
That might be worth a shot. I was hoping to keep it simple/quick, but I don't want to have to deal with chipping paint from figures falling over.

Yet one more pic, now that the recipient has seen it. Another project I've been working on for months, this one is part of a trade deal for some old figures. Rather than start a new topic, I'm just going to keep most of what I do in one ongoing post. One or two little details I'm still going to add, but just about done.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #266 on: August 14, 2015, 06:18:52 PM »
Very nice - I really like the two merchants/tax collectors at the back. Where are they from please? :)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #267 on: August 14, 2015, 07:49:03 PM »
OUTSTANDING! Your Town Folk are some of the LOVELIEST of your creations. VERY WELL DONE!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #268 on: August 15, 2015, 03:41:11 AM »
Thanks!

Very nice - I really like the two merchants/tax collectors at the back. Where are they from please? :)

I believe they are all Lead Adventure Bruegelburg figures.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #269 on: August 15, 2015, 08:23:04 AM »
I believe they are all Lead Adventure Bruegelburg figures.

Only the two in the back I believe, the others are Pro Gloria.