Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 11:38:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1737180 times)

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3705 on: August 29, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »
See if it didnt have the swirly base stuff, it would look good on its own, that swirly base is just there to add a big price tag height (it probably has an in game effect now knowing them ) but that's my two cents  lol

Also, if you watch the first skyrim trailer, at the beginning the mural with the dragon moving take a good look.
link to the trailer here...

Now after that look at the ophidian archway, is it just me or.....  lol

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ophidian-Archway
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:25:47 PM by matthais-mouse »
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #3706 on: August 29, 2015, 12:31:34 PM »
It will cost you the modest sum of £48/€62   o_o

Did I read this right? Is this really a single figure??!!

That's an absolutely insane price for a single standard-sized mini irrespective of the swirliness of its base and is extraordinary even for GW standards!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3707 on: August 29, 2015, 12:42:42 PM »
I've heard of jumping the shark ... but this is a shark display team, on water skis, jumping another shark display team, also on water skis.

It's what happens when you hire technical designers to do a sculptor's job.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3708 on: August 29, 2015, 02:54:39 PM »
I've heard of jumping the shark ... but this is a shark display team, on water skis, jumping another shark display team, also on water skis.

It's what happens when you hire technical designers to do a sculptor's job.

I do kind of agree here,analogue sculpting requires you to be economical and considerate with your relation to space and think of things as a 3d object, considering every side as a prospective front but there is a detachment when doing it on a screen. 

This mini is flat.well made,well sculpted but poorly designed.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3709 on: August 29, 2015, 03:12:46 PM »
Just had a peek at this celestant-prime. I don't wanna jinx it, but I think they might have reached maximum silliness.

Silliness levels are over nine thousaaand!

I do kind of agree here,analogue sculpting requires you to be economical and considerate with your relation to space and think of things as a 3d object, considering every side as a prospective front but there is a detachment when doing it on a screen.  

This mini is flat.well made,well sculpted but poorly designed.

+1

+ it looks like they're following their own (forged) narrative about producing models for collectors rather than gamers. Looks like. It does collide a bit awkwardly with their increasing reliance on selling things with special rules for the game.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:19:01 PM by Vermis »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3710 on: August 29, 2015, 03:19:45 PM »
And to think I used to worry about how to transport a base of Nurglings 4mm high......  ;D

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3711 on: August 29, 2015, 03:25:47 PM »
Silliness levels are over nine thousaaand!

+1

+ it looks like they're following their own (forged) narrative about producing models for collectors rather than gamers. Looks like. It does collide a bit awkwardly with their increasing reliance on selling things with special rules for the game.

Things is, I mainly collect and this is the age of sigmar miniature I don't want out of all the others, these big monsters just really don't do anything for me. I thought nagash had the same problems,static posing that made him look like a piece of video game concept art rather than a monster paused mid battle.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3712 on: August 29, 2015, 04:01:18 PM »
I'm fairly mixed about the mini.

On the one hand the mini appears to be very nicely detailed and will definitely stand out are a Hero figure. I like the fact that they have placed him well up into the air (though yes this will cause some real problems in transport especially with those wings). In fact, it's a bit of a novel way to get a mini high up into the air without using a flying base.

OTOH, I'm not sure what to make of the swirly base itself. Obviously it is suppose to represent something, but I'm not sure what, especially with those golden icons attached to it, though I'm sure all will be revealed soon.

Overall, my impression is that he would probably look better without the swirly thing, however the model may not be sufficiently stable without it.

Will wait for more information and a look at the sprues.

Edit: So I had a look at a preview and the swirly bits represent "celestial energy." 3 points of his cape secure to the base, however, these appear to be fairly thinish and almost certainly not strong enough to hold the entire miniature up in the air.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:48:09 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3713 on: August 29, 2015, 05:58:24 PM »
And I remember complaining about how over-the-top the increasing reliance on 'Chaos Spiky Bits' in the late 80's was ... they seem incredibly tame now.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #3714 on: August 29, 2015, 06:24:32 PM »
I really liked a lot of the Sigmar stuff ,but that's just silly,my son won't be getting that for Xmas that's for sure lol

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3715 on: August 29, 2015, 10:48:51 PM »
OTOH, I'm not sure what to make of the swirly base itself. Obviously it is suppose to represent something, but I'm not sure what, especially with those golden icons attached to it, though I'm sure all will be revealed soon.

Try to isolate the shape repeated and imagine it in white.  :D
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3716 on: August 29, 2015, 11:46:03 PM »
I cannot imagine the grief of having to remove mouldlines from that model!   :'(

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3717 on: August 30, 2015, 12:54:46 AM »
Yeaaah, at 134 dollarydoos, I'll be giving this a pass.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #3718 on: August 30, 2015, 02:13:00 AM »
It is what I come to expect from AoS, nothing really surprises me here.  Though, can we really call this thing a 'mini' anymore?  It is basically an action-figure.

Also it appears that if you aren't willing to get into and learn the fluff of the game by reading the books (and playing the scenarios and campaigns they provide), you probably aren't going to like AoS because your only perspective is from the free rules only and not from what is actually happening in the game universe.

Dunno... I still have to get my hands on the first book like I said before and then I will have a better idea.

While that is a good point, it seems that to do just that you have to buy a $90CAD book once a month if you follow the current trend.  That is basically like buying the 8th edition warhammer rulebook multiple times a year, just to play 8th edition warhammer.  I might be more interested if I didn't have kids taking up all my free time...
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3719 on: August 30, 2015, 02:12:02 PM »
While that is a good point, it seems that to do just that you have to buy a $90CAD book once a month if you follow the current trend.  That is basically like buying the 8th edition warhammer rulebook multiple times a year, just to play 8th edition warhammer.  I might be more interested if I didn't have kids taking up all my free time...

You have a point there...  :)

The Age of Sigmar book has, I believe, 3 Campaigns, 110 pages of scenarios and the optional rules for playing in the Realms of Fire and Life.

You might, however, consider a project going on over at BOLS by Auticus in which he is attempting to put together a rule set called the Age of Sigmar Azyr Composition Rules covering all Warhammer factions for playing AOS. Essentially he is assigning units point values from 1 to 10 and you can use this to balance your armies.

Link to the thread:  http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?57174-Age-of-Sigmar-Azyr-Composition-Rules-1-0b

The rules are in PDF format and found on the first post: http://www.louisvillewargaming.com/Files/AzyrComp.pdf

And it appears he may be trying to put together a small app for calculating army costs automatically. See bottom of page 9 to the linked thread.

Seems kinda interesting....