Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 02:01:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695085
  • Total Topics: 118652
  • Online Today: 543
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 439
Total: 443

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1736958 times)

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5040 on: June 08, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »
Wow, those three Marines from the paint set look much more dynamic than the regular push-fit Marines that come in the 10$ 3-pack and I like those.
Might have to get a set to make "special" characters.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5041 on: June 09, 2016, 05:35:53 AM »
I'd be interested in getting some of the older sprues. Hopefully they will do it for fantasy in the future. Knights vs dragons would be a seller.
With any luck it will sell well and make them realise that lower prices work well...  lol

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5042 on: June 09, 2016, 02:36:29 PM »
With any luck it will sell well and make them realise that lower prices work well...  lol

Well, it is technically a different product, and I would presume that the moulds have already been long paid for... So technically, they are not discounting their products, and all they have to do (for a minimal outlay) is watch big profit roll in.

It's basically the opposite of what they do when they repackage a box of models to only give you half but for the same price (plus a new-looking box, ofc).

Anyway, we'll see how it goes I guess; hopefully it will be reasonable and successful :)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5043 on: June 09, 2016, 06:52:37 PM »
Extra credits, a youtube channel mostly concerning the computer gaming industry and design just did a video on war-hammer licence games.

More observation and speculation then informed insight but still interesting.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5044 on: June 10, 2016, 10:45:36 AM »

Management, Usually the last word in stupid.

I once heard a bit of advice ... and I can't for the life of me remember where it was from. They said if you're a new boss, you need to change something, anything, as quickly as possible. Even if it's taking the tea break at 10.30 instead of 11.00, or storing the mop bucket in the kitchen instead of the toilet, something like that. It gets people very quickly used to the idea that you are actually in charge, rather than just being a caretaker following on someone else's policies.

All good fun.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5045 on: June 10, 2016, 01:46:55 PM »
It gets people very quickly used to the idea that you are actually in charge, rather than just being a caretaker following on someone else's policies.

Something something Games Workshop

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #5046 on: June 10, 2016, 07:31:34 PM »
So, I don't often go into GW, perhaps once a year for washes for which there does not seem a decent alternative.

So, I go in today. Hmmm, taller pots, OK, hope they've not marked them up too much. I need Earthshade & Green.

Thanks, that will be £9.10 please.

HOW MUCH?????

Two sodding paints & I can barely buy a chocolate bar with the change from a tenner!

I'm gonna have to find some alternatives in the future.

That's my GW-related whinge over.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5047 on: June 10, 2016, 09:56:06 PM »
I once heard a bit of advice ... and I can't for the life of me remember where it was from. They said if you're a new boss, you need to change something, anything, as quickly as possible. Even if it's taking the tea break at 10.30 instead of 11.00, or storing the mop bucket in the kitchen instead of the toilet, something like that. It gets people very quickly used to the idea that you are actually in charge, rather than just being a caretaker following on someone else's policies.

All good fun.

That's very true based on my experience in academia. Sure as anything if a new Vice Pres gets in the door, they're going to change something (usually major and for the worse) just because they feel the need to be doing something...
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5048 on: June 11, 2016, 01:17:49 AM »
So, I don't often go into GW, perhaps once a year for washes for which there does not seem a decent alternative.

So, I go in today. Hmmm, taller pots, OK, hope they've not marked them up too much. I need Earthshade & Green.

HOW MUCH?????

Two sodding paints & I can barely buy a chocolate bar with the change from a tenner!

I'm gonna have to find some alternatives in the future.

lol To be fair, it's slightly less than the cost of four 12ml pots. You'd get even less dairy milk for that.

When you say no decent alternatives: colour matching, or the particular way it oozes and shades?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5049 on: June 11, 2016, 09:54:34 AM »

Well, there are if you buy a couple of empty dropper bottles and make your own. See "Les Bursley's Washes" (or such search terms) on YouTube for a demonstration on how. The upfront cost is reasonably high (maybe £20), but you can literately make pints of the stuff with what that buys you! Alternatively you can buy three pots of wash from GW for the same cost. [shrugs]

HOW MUCH?????

Yeah, the new double-size pots of wash are eye-wateringly expensive. I honestly don't know why people keep buying paint from GW since everyone seems to be miffed at how much they charge...  I mean, it's not like you have to leave your house to buy lots of alternatives online, so the "convenience" reason usually just translates to "I didn't plan properly". :?

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #5050 on: June 11, 2016, 12:33:10 PM »
I honestly don't know why people keep buying paint from GW since everyone seems to be miffed at how much they charge...  I mean, it's not like you have to leave your house to buy lots of alternatives online, so the "convenience" reason usually just translates to "I didn't plan properly". :?

Except I already said that there do not seem to be decent alternatives, in terms of consistency, colour, flow etc. The Vallejo washes can be gritty. In addition I recently bought online the Vallejo green wash & it is a ridiculously light green that is of little use (Hence my planned visit to GW). The Coat D'Arms range seem to suffer from an identity crisis - are they inks or washes? Kind of important to know which in terms of drying times!

As a rule I do not join in GW-bashing. It's a long time since I bought new miniatures from them, but that is my choice. If people are happy to pay their prices that's fine. Vallejo paints are my personal preference for painting, but GW's washes are superior. I had no hang ups about buying their washes, as the prices used to be comparable to those of other paint ranges, so I think my initial shock is understandable.

OK, these new pots contain more, so I'll decant some into smaller pots to reduce loss by spillage, but it might be time for me to investigate that schizophrenic coat d'arms range.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5051 on: June 11, 2016, 01:26:52 PM »
Have you tried Army Painter? I like their washes, though I haven't tried all the colours.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5052 on: June 11, 2016, 01:56:18 PM »
Have you tried Army Painter? I like their washes, though I haven't tried all the colours.

They're inks. Nice enough and I do use them, but really they're just inks. The GW washes have a lovely slippery consistency that I've not found anywhere else. They adhere really well and have a sort of clingy feel that I like. I don't use them neat, but mix them up with paint, glazes and ink into my own pots of washes and it works well for me.

I completely understand where OBG is coming from. I'll keep buying them because I'm happy to pay that price for that particular product, since I save so much money buying my paints and everything elsewhere.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5053 on: June 11, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »
They're inks. Nice enough and I do use them, but really they're just inks. The GW washes have a lovely slippery consistency that I've not found anywhere else. They adhere really well and have a sort of clingy feel that I like. I don't use them neat, but mix them up with paint, glazes and ink into my own pots of washes and it works well for me.

No they're not. For some reason Army Painter call them inks, but Army Painter Dark, Strong and Soft Tone washes seem like a direct equivalent of the GW washes to me - I've used both. They're nothing like the old GW inks I have and nothing like the Vallejo Game Inks I use when I want, you know, an ink.

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/review-army-painter-warpaints.html

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #5054 on: June 11, 2016, 02:31:06 PM »
Yep I'd recommend the AP ''Inks'', they are a acrylic based wash and act the same as the GW products Also I found they don't tend to mist (Go slighty grey when dry) like some of the Vallejo Washes.