Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:29:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694086
  • Total Topics: 118579
  • Online Today: 584
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1730973 times)

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5160 on: July 22, 2016, 05:53:45 AM »
So what sort of units do they have. Be interested in seeing them in action

EDIT: Woah, the DLC for that costs cr@ploads... $NZD 25. That's more than I'm willing to pay for the base game.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 06:00:13 AM by beefcake »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5161 on: July 23, 2016, 11:50:45 AM »
There is a new Realms of battle board coming, and its a disappointment. The first one had those pits of skulls but those were easily filled. After that you were left with a decent board with rocks that scaled well from 28 to 6mm games.

The new one is entirely flat (no modular hills...) and the ground is covered with small pieces of ruins splattered with sigmarite and chaos symbols.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5162 on: July 23, 2016, 08:46:07 PM »
There is a new Realms of battle board coming, and its a disappointment. The first one had those pits of skulls but those were easily filled. After that you were left with a decent board with rocks that scaled well from 28 to 6mm games.

The new one is entirely flat (no modular hills...) and the ground is covered with small pieces of ruins splattered with sigmarite and chaos symbols.

To be fair to GW on this one, it is designed to fulfill the scenery rules that go with the game rather than acting as a multi uses 40k/fantasy board. It's expensive as hell and i nyl really like 2 of the tiles , but if you are fully into the game i can see it being fun.

I picked up Storm of Sigmar today . even tho i was using staff discount i would have payed full price for it because for me it's a nice shelf skirmish box. 4 scenarios for small games, some nice unit cards with art on the back, dice and a mini rule book. As someone who was initially interested in AoS as a small fantasy skirmish game i can see this box acting as a way of legitimizing small games ,With the generals compendium giving us the point system with to say "lets play a 500 point game" and it being able to actually limit the size of the game.

I also see it as a way to pull in casual gamers who want to play games but lack time to build so much as the big starter set ,let alone expand it. As a student i am one such player and this mini box feels like GW telling me they just want me to feel i can play, not feel like I'm required to buy mountains of stuff to get a game in.

I also think I've notices a long term strategy with GW with regards to getting AoS off the ground.
They know it would be a massive backlash due to the radical change, so rather than put everything in the release for it to be promptly ignored, they left it, They let early adapters enjoy the game and in the mean time they brought out games to rope back some of the old warhammer players by cashing in on their old properties.Silver tower, mighty heroes, the new gorefist game, center piece models.....
After a while even the most stringent anti AoS player might end up with a handful of characters by buying things not involved in the main game.
Then a year later when the game has found a new and enthusiastic player base they bring out the points, competitive play, the STRUCTURE that older players were used too.
Now after a year the initial rage has passed and those players are looking at their odd little collection of AoS compatible minis, looking at the new releases and thinking "well....i suppose i could try it ,since i have the pieces..and hey, those starter boxes are good value."

It's a slow grow strategy, but it allowed them to basically wait out the storm of rage and slowly feed the game into peoples collections.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5163 on: July 25, 2016, 09:57:09 AM »
That is to give way too much credit to the management.  What has actually happened is that they didn't listen to their player base, sent out AoS, it has had lower than hoped for sales and now they are trying to find ways of getting back the people who have abandoned it.  The coming of Points is a sign of GW finally listening to customer feedback.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5164 on: July 25, 2016, 10:35:26 AM »
To be fair to GW on this one, it is designed to fulfill the scenery rules that go with the game rather than acting as a multi uses 40k/fantasy board. It's expensive as hell and i nyl really like 2 of the tiles , but if you are fully into the game i can see it being fun.

I'm very curious what specific rules they fit with? I've not really looked into AoS that deeply yet. To me it pretty much looks like a highly textured but effectively flat 4x6 table.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5165 on: July 25, 2016, 08:06:56 PM »
That is to give way too much credit to the management.  What has actually happened is that they didn't listen to their player base, sent out AoS, it has had lower than hoped for sales and now they are trying to find ways of getting back the people who have abandoned it.  The coming of Points is a sign of GW finally listening to customer feedback.

An organised play and points system was announced when the game came out as a future release, it just got swallowed up by tides of nerd rage.

Would you really think GW didn't expect people to backlash at the death of fantasy? they would have known way ahead of time that launching this game was going to be an uphill struggle, so why bother putting all their cards on the table when the table is going to get flipped anyway?

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5166 on: July 26, 2016, 09:09:25 AM »
An organised play and points system was announced when the game came out as a future release, it just got swallowed up by tides of nerd rage.

Would you really think GW didn't expect people to backlash at the death of fantasy? they would have known way ahead of time that launching this game was going to be an uphill struggle, so why bother putting all their cards on the table when the table is going to get flipped anyway?

If it was announced it was buried pretty deeply as I saw no mention of it.  That is also an idiotic thing to do.  Most of the nerd rage was due to lack of points and no tournament play.  To purposely hold that back for over 12 months is absurd and if true shows GW are even more out of touch with their customers than I thought.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5167 on: July 26, 2016, 09:52:51 AM »
AoS with points; this is obvious as it enables quick pick-up play with no fuss.

AoS for tournaments; err..., no thanks.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5168 on: July 26, 2016, 10:08:40 AM »
I picked up Storm of Sigmar today . even tho i was using staff discount i would have payed full price for it because for me it's a nice shelf skirmish box. 4 scenarios for small games, some nice unit cards with art on the back, dice and a mini rule book. As someone who was initially interested in AoS as a small fantasy skirmish game i can see this box acting as a way of legitimizing small games ,With the generals compendium giving us the point system with to say "lets play a 500 point game" and it being able to actually limit the size of the game.

My thougts too - except the staff discount bit; I got the Wayland discount and put in some bonus points I had too. I also had an aversion to AoS when it came out, but I'm giving it a shot.
The box feels a bit like the small Warmachine starters, except you get two factions here.

I fell for it I guess. I will not be getting large forces for this, as I had for WH - anyway, I have a small pile of demons which can fit it, and I don't have to worry about square bases for AoS and round ones for 40K. Don't know why I bother as I don't get any games, still...
I am also going to make this a mini project and trying (for once) to get all the stuff (er - 13 models, + a further 3 I had bought 2nd hand) done.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #5169 on: July 26, 2016, 10:11:37 AM »
So what sort of units do they have. Be interested in seeing them in action

EDIT: Woah, the DLC for that costs cr@ploads... $NZD 25. That's more than I'm willing to pay for the base game.

£12 here. Which is pretty standard.

If you think a game as big as Total War is only worth £12 I'd swear of computer games altogether. Aside from the odd early access business which always seem to be a 50/50 risk these days for buying into a dead project, a standard game these days is £20+ and considering the cost of making these things, we could see prices rise slowly over the coming years. Just like miniatures oddly enough.

Either way, Total Warhammer has provided hours upon hours of enjoyment. With pretty varied gameplay. My only gripe now is limited starting positions of factions. Be nice if you could start as Orcs in the middle of the Badlands, as opposed to its current starting position, which is easier to hold, but harder to expand from.

As for GW, I still find AoS fairly uninspiring, though the latest releases for the Sylvaneth were pretty cool and I may pick some of those up for a generic nature force.

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5170 on: July 26, 2016, 10:17:30 AM »
£12 here. Which is pretty standard.

If you think a game as big as Total War is only worth £12 I'd swear of computer games altogether. Aside from the odd early access business which always seem to be a 50/50 risk these days for buying into a dead project, a standard game these days is £20+ and considering the cost of making these things, we could see prices rise slowly over the coming years. Just like miniatures oddly enough.

Either way, Total Warhammer has provided hours upon hours of enjoyment. With pretty varied gameplay. My only gripe now is limited starting positions of factions. Be nice if you could start as Orcs in the middle of the Badlands, as opposed to its current starting position, which is easier to hold, but harder to expand from.

As for GW, I still find AoS fairly uninspiring, though the latest releases for the Sylvaneth were pretty cool and I may pick some of those up for a generic nature force.

I'll never swear off computer games! NEVER!  ;) I'm just saying I'm willing to wait for this game to come down in price before buying it. Look at the dawn of war games or Skyrim, cheap as chips now. I was thinking in comparison to the chaos DLC which is $10 this seems rather excessive. There must be a lot of extra content. Which is the thing that I hate nowadays about games. You basically just buy the game engine and need to pay for the rest of it as DLC.

Offline VoidValue

• Assistant
« Reply #5171 on: July 27, 2016, 12:18:07 AM »
Games Workshop annual report is up and it's pretty disastrous all round.

Only reason they've stayed stable at all is getting a lot of money from royalties (presumably from Total War Warhammer).

Lost £4mil operating profit otherwise.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5172 on: July 27, 2016, 01:55:23 AM »
Games Workshop annual report is up and it's pretty disastrous all round.

Only reason they've stayed stable at all is getting a lot of money from royalties (presumably from Total War Warhammer).

Lost £4mil operating profit otherwise.

No surprises really. AoS was a train wreck, prices are absolutely insane, what's left?
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5173 on: July 27, 2016, 02:48:46 AM »
Is that quarterly or yearly? 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5174 on: July 27, 2016, 05:51:00 AM »
Is that quarterly or yearly? 

Says annual.