Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:22:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2024 Burgundavia's spaceport  (Read 5920 times)

Online snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: BSC2024 Burgundavia's spaceport
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2024, 03:02:07 PM »
Impressive amount of work and printing. Well done.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2024, 04:19:38 PM »
Talk about in the nick of time...  lol

That's me to a T. You might see why I've failed to finish before. Knowing I had to do final assembly after painting took some pressure off too.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2024, 03:16:08 PM »
That's me to a T. You might see why I've failed to finish before. Knowing I had to do final assembly after painting took some pressure off too.

We are in the same boat then  lol

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2024, 03:27:13 PM »
We are in the same boat then  lol

You can't see wet glue in a picture!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2024, 06:08:23 PM »
 As long as you don't spill too much; it'll shine too much.

Ask me how I know  :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2024, 07:21:52 PM »
Thought I would post a photo of my photo taking setup - lots and lots of lights, plus a decent camera (Canon RP with a 50mm 1.4 EF lens)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2024, 03:57:19 PM »
Very nice looking set up. Out of curiosity, where do you place your camera in relation to the centre light; just in front and below or just off to the side?

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2024, 05:29:39 PM »
Very nice looking set up. Out of curiosity, where do you place your camera in relation to the centre light; just in front and below or just off to the side?

I shot a few different ways - through the centre of the ring light and off to the side. It didn't seem to matter all that much.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2024, 07:23:00 PM »
I have one but I haven't quite figured out how to get the most of it. If I have it close enough to get a benefit, the photos come out a little too bright/harsh. If I pull back enough to eliminate that effect then it doesn't really add anything. It may be my camera though. I had to replace my old one and I am not super thrilled with how the macro feature works.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2024, 05:55:37 PM »
And I'm out. I got crushed, really. But hey, I have a pretty building for my troubles and I finished. A few shots of my in-progress work.

I ended up painting and gluing the building together pieces by piece - paint some, glue some, paint some.

First thing I did was assemble the upper back section (with the walkway) as a separate piece and then paint the inside of it. That included adding the inside graffiti to both the lower walls and the upper section. After I had added them, I glue them together and then added some mud to join the sections together and then roughly painted it grey. I wasn't overly worried, as I knew that I was going to be badly painting the inside white again. I didn't get a photo of that.

Then I rusted up the hangers and doors. For this I sponged on paint quite thickly - mostly Burnt Umber but some Burnt Sienna and Raw Sienna for accents. This is what gives these the bumpy texture. I would note that the grey paint was not fully dry under the tape here, so I ended up pulling off a fair amount and needing to repaint it. Oops.

After that, I glued the front panels on and then the lower walkway (which touched both the back walls and the front walls)

Once those were done, I cleaned up the front where I the joins were to make the grey colours more consistent. I then masked off the green sections and the upper ghost lettering.

The lettering was over-sprayed with Golden's Shading Grey, a semi-transparent grey that was amazing for darkening things subtly. I pulled off the letters, which were cut out of Oracal mask on my Silhouette, in a random order, spraying a bit more of the shading grey over the whole area each time.

The green lower sections I added blue stuff to mask off the damaged sections where the exposed rebar was and then sprayed the lower area, hangers and the doors with chipping medium, and then all three with a random mixture of greens roughly mixed in the airbrush. To chip it I used three methods - light sanding, using tape to pull off random sections and water with a brush. If you use water with a brush, you get lighter sections. I ended up putting an undercoat of white on the doors after I tried just straight green, but that wasn't covering the rust well.

Lastly, I glued in the windows after painting them separately, painted the exposed rebar and then weathered with oil paints. Overall, the painting felt a bit rushed and I should have taken more time. I also missed a bunch of small details that I'd like to get back to.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 06:16:21 PM by Burgundavia »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2024, 10:59:43 PM »
Don't feel bad. My last entry did not garner a single vote. However, both you and I ended up with nicely done buildings that we need for our tables.  ...and I mean who is going to manufacture an ice house that I could buy anyway?  lol lol
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2024, 12:21:03 AM »
Don't feel bad. My last entry did not garner a single vote. However, both you and I ended up with nicely done buildings that we need for our tables.  ...and I mean who is going to manufacture an ice house that I could buy anyway?  lol lol

Ouch, ya. You had some tough competition including the eventual winner and winner of a past round

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2024, 01:32:05 AM »
Again, this is a brilliant build and that rusting is sublime. 
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2024, 09:11:04 AM »
Your build is really cool and gameable.. Also, the whole design process was quite  interesting and really showed off 3D printing as an indispensible tool.

I got the distinct impression you wanted to take your build significantly further though; will you, now that you're free to work on it again?

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2024, 09:20:05 AM »
This is very good and will be a key defense point in a game.

I love the rust effect.

How did you do the graffiti?