Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:54:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694102
  • Total Topics: 118580
  • Online Today: 600
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731128 times)

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5130 on: July 06, 2016, 09:00:25 AM »
I think this is meant to be a reincarnation of ariel. In the same way Karl Franz became sigmar, ariel became Alarielle after the splitting of the old world into the new realms. I think.

During the End Times Ariel "died" but passed part of her power on to Alarielle the Everqueen of the High Elves. Alarielle then became the remainder of the living embodiment of Isha that Ariel had been, in addition to the Avatar of Life magic. She also took Orion as her consort. This new one is a continuation and evolution of that concept.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5131 on: July 06, 2016, 06:26:45 PM »
Oh. That makes perfect sense then.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5132 on: July 06, 2016, 07:07:53 PM »
Oh. That makes perfect sense then.

At this point with everything going on in age of sigmar I'm not even sure if you actually think this makes sense or are being sarcastic.

In any case this means her riding a stag related creature is pun material.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5133 on: July 06, 2016, 08:53:04 PM »
 lol Never clicked to that. That's terrible.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #5134 on: July 06, 2016, 09:21:07 PM »
I've been looking at AoS at my FLGS and I just just just cant do it.  To spend all that money on lackluster models and what appears to be an even more lackluster game seems to be a bad use of my time and money.  A shame really, I really loved GW stuff in the 90s
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #5135 on: July 06, 2016, 09:47:12 PM »
I've been on an oldhammer inspired trip down memory lane recently, rereading 3rd edition WHFB and 2nd ed 40k (I was never into RT at the time) and it's really rekindled my love for that early 90s GW stuff. I love the style of miniature from that era anyway but the rules are inspiring and leave me itching to break out some dice. Unfortunately I'm just not the type of gamer GW cater for any more. AoS just leaves me cold. It's quite interesting to see the direction thwy are heading in but they haven't made anything I want to play for years. Probably the first rerelease of Space Hulk.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5136 on: July 06, 2016, 10:41:41 PM »
At this point with everything going on in age of sigmar I'm not even sure if you actually think this makes sense or are being sarcastic.

In any case this means her riding a stag related creature is pun material.

Pure sarcasm lol

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5137 on: July 08, 2016, 05:09:42 PM »
Cut'n'pasted to avoid cluttering Scurv's AoS review thread...

I agree with that, but I also think Major Gilbear has a very good point when he suggests that kids like heaps and heaps of rules. I can remember greeting the publications of Ravening Hordes, Warhammer 3rd edition and Warhammer Armies with childish glee - more rules! More rules! It was only when, at the very end of my first gaming "career", I got into Hordes of the Things that I had a sort of epiphany: "This is a far better game - and it has far fewer rules!". Childhood's end?

I agree with it, myself. I only started with 6th ed, but even towards the end of that I was getting frustrated with the clutter of rules.

There's the armchair-neurologist reasoning that children are better at soaking up masses of info when they're forming masses of neural connections, but lack the frontal lobe development to make good judgements with it. Then when the frontal lobe's all grown up, the sheer number of neural pathways are pared right down. You can't have your brain-cake and eat it...
The gameplay of WHFB and especially 40K hook kids with this (that and all the ded kewl wikkid monsters and space mariens and grimdarkness*) - they're much more focused on what might generously be called strategy, and otherwise 'listbuilding' and 'mathhammering', than on tactics. Most of the decisions are made before the game, totting up stats and points and probabilities and special rules, rather than during.

Compared to the 'deceptively simple' style of rules. The rules are simple, or rather uncluttered and streamlined, not too much calculation and memorisation needed (it's not claims of simplicity, and then dumping piles of cards or warscrolls full of special rules for specific models on you), but the way they might cleverly interact can create complex situations** on the tabletop, that need a little tactical judgement.
If I had to simplify the definition further I'd call these adult games, not as a value judgement, but as a contrast to rules-heavy games, and the general (general) audiences they might attract, or be built for.

AoS, specifically... from my own viewpoint it's reported advantages seem like the worst of both worlds. It's got simple core rules, in the form of the infamous four pages, but there's no hidden complexity there (if there is, it's hidden real deep) - it's so bare-bones I almost fall asleep looking at it. Then you have the masses of rules, where most of the gameplay seems to be, in the warscrolls, which doesn't thrill me. Maybe I've just had bad experiences with stat special-rules card games, but to me AoS seems like a combination of that, and the progression of special rules mania that affected WHFB and 40K. Less about clever maneuvering, more about what models you can afford to bring to bear.

* There's that old C S Lewis chestnut that some wargamers like to trot out. Usually presented to defend playing with toy soldiers (and rightly so) but I think 'admiration of the grown up because it is (or seems) grown up' is another of GW's hooks. If different aspects of GW seem less and less 'grown up' to you in recent years, I put it to you that part of the reason is that you're not thirteen anymore. lol

** First guy I read, posting about this kind of thing, talked about the difference between 'complex' games and 'complicated' games. I like that.

I agree with all that. I do think, though, that the merits of the "Warhammer World" are slightly overblown. It was never as satisfying or coherent as Middle Earth or Glorantha (the obvious gaming yardstick) or even - I think - the much more lightly sketched Melnibone/Young Kingdoms. I always felt that the WHFRP stuff (Renaissance cities with things scuttling unseen beneath the streets and perhaps just the hint of a hoof under a robe where a foot should be ...) sat very poorly with the garish green orcs and their football-hooligan argot, for example.

After poo-pooing the fake grownupitudeness of WFB, I have to defend it. Or maybe it's not as contradictory as that - I do like the warhammer world-that-was, but I think most of the good background was set out long before I got into the game. (I started an Ogre Kingdoms army, which showed up in 6th ed, but only because I could twist the new fluff to match the old fluff) Then, IMO, GW tried to build on that, not with more intimate detail or exploring the sparser parts of their maps, but by focusing more on massive, cataclysmic, fantasmagorical... and utterly bland, impersonal, inconsequential battles. (Well, inconsequential, apart from the last one)
This is my beef with the new setting, and Pictor's defence of it. It's another progression of the unsatisfying paths GW went down. Fighting off a bunch of orcs from a tiny village might not be much in the grand scheme of the old warhammer world, but to me it feels more meaningful than even a whole continent in a - what, infinite multidimension? - of undefined, undeveloped continents being razed. A million deaths is a statistic...

And like I said, how you gonna raze a continent from a few-feet-square table, in a way you couldn't do with WFB, or any other wargame? If it's because you reached a designated objective point at the end of the game (Token? Scenery piece? I haven't clicked the links yet) I'm not entirely convinced. :?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5138 on: July 11, 2016, 04:59:52 PM »
Well, as phenomenal a deal as Betrayal at Calth was/is...the sorted out components are now criminally priced:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40-000?N=4294965037&_requestid=1899741

On the plus side if you land a box of Betrayal at Calth, (at discount around $125) you're now getting $325 MSRP worth of stuff, lol.

If anyone is considering Horus Heresy era plastics, better grab the BaC box before they disappear.  Rumour is the box game may go away.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #5139 on: July 11, 2016, 07:06:51 PM »
During the End Times Ariel "died" but passed part of her power on to Alarielle the Everqueen of the High Elves. Alarielle then became the remainder of the living embodiment of Isha that Ariel had been, in addition to the Avatar of Life magic. She also took Orion as her consort. This new one is a continuation and evolution of that concept.

I have absolutely NO IDEA what you just wrote.....  o_o
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5140 on: July 11, 2016, 08:29:14 PM »
Well, as phenomenal a deal as Betrayal at Calth was/is...the sorted out components are now criminally priced:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40-000?N=4294965037&_requestid=1899741

On the plus side if you land a box of Betrayal at Calth, (at discount around $125) you're now getting $325 MSRP worth of stuff, lol.

If anyone is considering Horus Heresy era plastics, better grab the BaC box before they disappear.  Rumour is the box game may go away.

Have to admit the prices of those individual sets had me saying WTF! They cost so much more than the regular 40K versions.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5141 on: July 11, 2016, 08:34:04 PM »
The Contemptor Dreadnought is a rather abysmal single sprue kit...worth...maybe $24.95 MSRP at the very most.  Two plastic push-together hero figures for $50?  It's...absolutely mind-blowing.  And this is all from the boxed game which an exceptionally fairly priced kit (a damn bargain by GW standards).

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5142 on: July 11, 2016, 08:45:12 PM »
The Contemptor Dreadnought is a rather abysmal single sprue kit...worth...maybe $24.95 MSRP at the very most.  Two plastic push-together hero figures for $50?  It's...absolutely mind-blowing.  And this is all from the boxed game which an exceptionally fairly priced kit (a damn bargain by GW standards).

I think the two character models are quite nicely made kits but rather expensive for my tastes (although I did buy the anniversary marine!). Their price is nothing new I suppose when compared with other SM characters. The dreadnought pricing threw me though because like you pointed out, it's such a simple and very basic kit. £35 for it when a regular dread' is £28 is just...  :o Glad I got the boxed game!

Offline VoidValue

• Assistant
« Reply #5143 on: July 11, 2016, 09:22:57 PM »
The worst part of Age of Sigmarine is that it's actually a pretty good idea. Anime-inspired fantasy with over the top fighting and craziness akin to a fight from Vedic mythology? Amazing plan and would sell awesomely.

Instead we get a butchered mess of Warhammer Fantasy that somehow both has too few and too many holdouts from the original setting and system.

... I want to make a fantasy wargame system where you have Goku from Dragonball Z as a character, now.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5144 on: July 12, 2016, 01:12:06 AM »
I think the two character models are quite nicely made kits but rather expensive for my tastes (although I did buy the anniversary marine!). Their price is nothing new I suppose when compared with other SM characters. The dreadnought pricing threw me though because like you pointed out, it's such a simple and very basic kit. £35 for it when a regular dread' is £28 is just...  :o Glad I got the boxed game!

I agree that the characters are nice, but they're also static push-fit models...and nooooo way is that worth anywhere near $25 a pop.  I don't even agree with the $25-30 clamshell characters - and those are normally multi-part plastics with some weapons options/add-ons etc.  I think a lot of this is..."don't steal Forgeworld's thunder" with normal retail boxes.