Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:22:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694108
  • Total Topics: 118580
  • Online Today: 600
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731223 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5445 on: November 21, 2016, 11:20:59 AM »
Got the new white dwarf this morning. Turns out Space Hulk is back on the 3rd. £75, no mention if it's limited or not.

Perhaps even though it was 'limited', sales in the first two rounds never hit the production 'limit'....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5446 on: November 21, 2016, 11:26:07 AM »
Space Hulk is back on the 3rd. £75, no mention if it's limited or not.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5447 on: November 21, 2016, 11:38:42 AM »
What exactly is the problem? It's a great game, available again. If they've any sense (and it seems there's more going around now) it'll be a permanent addition.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5448 on: November 21, 2016, 11:43:01 AM »
What exactly is the problem? It's a great game, available again. If they've any sense (and it seems there's more going around now) it'll be a permanent addition.

Mostly that the first re-release was touted as "strictly limited get it now or regret it forever edition"
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5449 on: November 21, 2016, 11:47:24 AM »
Was it though? And did you all buy it because of that reason alone?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5450 on: November 21, 2016, 12:01:21 PM »
A lot of people paid what was (then) perceived to be a price premium in order to get something that was highly publicised as being strictly limited - and in fact the game basically sold out on pre-order alone due to this.

That then turned out not to be so limited (they "found" 50k units more), and then tweaked it ever so slightly to sell again a couple of years later.

I personally would mind less if the upcoming release of the game was cheaper and the models a little more compact/storable. At least it would be clear that it's not a limited (although perhaps seasonal) release, and that it's aimed at the boardgame market, and it would be different enough to not tread on those who bought the earlier version.

Anyway, it's a really shabby thing to do to all those customers that had the faith to buy that premium product unseen/unreviewed (and thereby made it a big commercial success on pre-orders alone).

Now, should it ever have been a LE in the first place? I think not, but GW obviously felt differently.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:03:13 PM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5451 on: November 21, 2016, 12:15:02 PM »
Are you describing your own situation, or is it vicarious anger?

Anyone who bought multiple - or single, still shrink wrapped - copies in 2009 had plenty of time of make money out of it. Anyone who bought multiple copies in 2014 was daft.

Anyone who bought it and actually played the bloody thing, well done, that was the whole point. Now more people can do likewise.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5452 on: November 21, 2016, 12:15:50 PM »
Jup...it just stinks because they lied about it. Nothing else. Still a good release for any spaceship crawlers :)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5453 on: November 21, 2016, 12:23:49 PM »
Jup...it just stinks because they lied about it. Nothing else. Still a good release for any spaceship crawlers :)

You already sold your copy! lol

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5454 on: November 21, 2016, 12:34:25 PM »
Jup, true. But that doesn't change the facts. And maybe I would have kept it if it was still LE ;)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5455 on: November 21, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »
I bought every version of Space Hulk, happy to do so.

We will never know if GW was disingenuous about offering it on a limited basis with a plan to sell more later (as I recall there was a mysterious "discovery" of a few hundred copies a couple months after the 3rd edition sell out), or if they realized it was more popular than they expected and wanted to meet a demand.

Other companies have done the same thing- Foundry, Copplestone Castings, etc.

I suppose it is bad for investors but good for those who missed their opportunity for various reasons.

I'd just like to take a moment to applaud GW for releasing Mechanicus and Genestealer Cults, and exploring 30K. Who'd have guessed that three years ago?
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #5456 on: November 21, 2016, 04:25:07 PM »
I'm the first to bash GW (They broke my heart/wallet and a ex-staffer) but they have been doing alot of good things of late, 'Stealer Cult, 30k, cheaper (for GW pricing) stand alone games and now Blood Bowl.

Now if they bring back Warmaster as 10/12mm and stay with the same or simpler  unit layout (3 stands) I may just go and spent some cash with them again. As Warmaster unlike Necromunda, Mordheim & other Spec games who have a large fan base all these later is a real bugger to get a game of and could use the ''Offical'' treatment.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5457 on: November 21, 2016, 04:55:29 PM »
I'm the first to bash GW (They broke my heart/wallet and a ex-staffer) but they have been doing alot of good things of late, 'Stealer Cult, 30k, cheaper (for GW pricing) stand alone games and now Blood Bowl.

Now if they bring back Warmaster as 10/12mm and stay with the same or simpler  unit layout (3 stands) I may just go and spent some cash with them again. As Warmaster unlike Necromunda, Mordheim & other Spec games who have a large fan base all these later is a real bugger to get a game of and could use the ''Offical'' treatment.

I haven't bought anything from GW in donkeys years but I'm with you on the Warmaster idea, if they released that again I would certainly be up for spending some cash with them. :)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5458 on: November 21, 2016, 05:50:08 PM »
Are you describing your own situation, or is it vicarious anger?

My own situation, and it isn't anger - it's deep disappointment.

Not because I'm some sort of horrible selfish person who doesn't want other people to enjoy it, but because because there was no real reason to have ever made it limited in the first place.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5459 on: November 21, 2016, 05:59:08 PM »
And Epic 30K would be cool... . :D