Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1737747 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2460 on: December 18, 2014, 03:59:11 PM »
I would really like a bog standard, turn-based computer wargame based on WHFB. I had a couple on the Playstation ages ago but they were narrative games where you had no choice over your army (you had to be a human mercenary with mostly Empire forces), were pretty much handed the units available and then had to fight pre-set battles (you did have the odd choice here or there, but it was all along a set pattern of development paths).

There was an old, old computer game I used to play called 'Ancient Battles' (I'm talking 25-odd years ago), where you could choose a historical army and build it up with the various troop selections, then go and fight battles against a computer opponent on a choice of battlefields (or you could build your own). I'd love to be able to do that with WHFB armies. The graphics could afford to be basic and the mechanics can't be tricky if they were doing it a generation back.

Perhaps they're worried that would kill off the miniature collecting side of the hobby if they have a computer game that copies it too closely.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2461 on: December 18, 2014, 04:55:19 PM »
[...]they'd probably have had a massive rejuvenation of the line if they'd sold 30k/Horus Heresy as plastics in their shops.  But no...

I know, I just can't believe they haven't done this.  :?

Someone on Dakka pointed out that Tom Kirby has it set up as a money making machine - for him.  Every time the company pays out a dividend, he scoops another six-figure jackpot.  I suspect there's your answer as to why it is the company it is today.

Yep. Probably also why Mr Kirby can't let go and just piss off quietly now that he's not CEO.

Still like far too many of their models though - just picked up some of the Dark Vengeance Chaos figures and they're lovely.

I know just what you mean (their last two big-box plastics are so good, I just cannot comprehend why they don't do the same for the rest of their range). I do find that the increasingly bizarre design choices and rising prices help to keep me from buying any more.  ;D

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2462 on: December 19, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »
New financial director appointed

Another internal move, so nothing changes :(

Apparently the only details they need to announce are her age and how many shares she and her husband hold. Some slightly strange and very specific regulatory requirements there ;D

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #2463 on: December 19, 2014, 04:44:46 PM »
New financial director appointed

Another internal move, so nothing changes :(

Apparently the only details they need to announce are her age and how many shares she and her husband hold. Some slightly strange and very specific regulatory requirements there ;D

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Modernbard/media/motivator1980347.jpg.html
 lol

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2464 on: December 19, 2014, 05:07:56 PM »
I just wondered what happened to the previous Financial Director? Fired? Quit? "Found wanting" by Kommisar Kirby? Pulled a rodent on a post-buoyant vessel? Fled to the Bahamas? Rendered down into the base components for Finecast?  ???

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2465 on: December 24, 2014, 06:33:58 AM »
So are any bits sellers able to actually consistently stock anything anymore?

I've been trying to buy Ungor heads for the past three months and seen nothing, nada, zip, zilch anywhere online, not the usual bits sellers, not ebay, not on forums. And this is from the current, in-print plastic set, not anything OOP. Are the restrictions really so bad that bits sellers can't even get a handful of boxes here or there?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #2466 on: December 24, 2014, 07:03:17 AM »
I just looked on uk gw website and their currently unavailable?

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #2467 on: December 24, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »
Same on GW Spain. Maybe they have gone out of production because of the End of Times thing?
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2468 on: December 24, 2014, 07:29:35 PM »
Still seem to be available down here in NZ. That may be because the prices are even more ridiculous down here so they don't sell as well.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2469 on: December 24, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »
Wierd. I just looked at a bunch of different countries and they all have different numbers of products available to each country. I assume that is bulk deals.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2470 on: January 01, 2015, 06:32:24 AM »
Was looking through ebay to see if I could find an old metal vermin lord for cheap. Came across this.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xverminlord&_nkw=verminlord&_sacat=0
Is this old news?
New vermin lord doesn't look too bad. Tail(s) looks terrible and would snap off in an instant. Other than that I think it looks quite nice, probably well oversized for my liking though.
More views may show how bad it is.
Now back to looking for the old version and perhaps a head swap for it!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2471 on: January 01, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »
Well that looks ******* rediculous  ::)

And it's a bit cheeky of the EBay seller to have a 'pre-sale' isn't it  ???

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2472 on: January 01, 2015, 04:28:23 PM »
As much as I like the Skaven...

There are images around it seems everywhere except somewhere obvious on GW website

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?403854-Dan-s-Weekly-Poll-18-Which-Verminlord-are-you

Sigh.. Looks like another action figure sized model.. to fit in with the other end times big boys.

Nice model in  a way and options but.. er no thanks, it is silly - no doubt not as silly as the price will be but silly enough.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2473 on: January 01, 2015, 05:08:44 PM »
Torn between it looking a bit kewl and looking overdone and overblown, as usual.

I've seen people say that GW is now concentrated on collectors rather than gamers, for better or worse. (usually worse; based on stuff like, er, Jervis Johnson saying so. Or at least saying that they sell more to collectors.) Looking at all the humongous overladen models coming out as part of this Nagash thing, looking more like action figures or display figurines than any kind of gaming mini, I can well believe it.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #2474 on: January 01, 2015, 05:45:32 PM »
Torn between it looking a bit kewl and looking overdone and overblown, as usual.

I've seen people say that GW is now concentrated on collectors rather than gamers, for better or worse. (usually worse; based on stuff like, er, Jervis Johnson saying so. Or at least saying that they sell more to collectors.) Looking at all the humongous overladen models coming out as part of this Nagash thing, looking more like action figures or display figurines than any kind of gaming mini, I can well believe it.

I'm a collector of GW mini's, but only because i can't afford to game with them given how much one needs to play a full game of 40k. I think really the collectors over gamers thing is the end result of a business model that asks you to buy lots without charging less.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/