Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:53:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692621
  • Total Topics: 118476
  • Online Today: 660
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ronin - Sohei Update  (Read 10012 times)

Offline rokurota

• Mastermind
    • Bac Ninh Miniatures
Re: Ronin - Swords-for-Hire Update
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2024, 12:47:47 PM »
Thanks!
I think their first opponent as a Dragon Warrior warband might be my friend's.... fantasy Greek DR warband. ha. I guess it'll be a "Deadliest Warrior the tabletop wargame" kinda-thing.

In the meantime, for Ronin proper, here's three Swords-for-Hire

A pair of Ronin and a Shugyosha looking for work. Any of these models could be used as either a Ronin or Shugyosha, but in my mind while painting, the two on the left were Ronin and the Ryu-looking model on the far right is the Shugyuosha looking to test his skills against the greatest warriors of my dining room table. The center model with yari (or nagae-yari) is from Warring Clans, the other two are from Bac Ninh Miniatures.

Nice wotk with this Bac Ninh guys!  ;)

Twitter account @BacNinh_Minis

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Ronin - Sohei Update
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2024, 11:05:17 PM »
thanks! They were a pleasure to paint. :D

After the Bandits, the Koryu, and the Ninja, I’ve now got a fourth buntai… the Sohei. Usually, I prefer to create and employ my own colors for factions, so this may be the first time I’ve simply gone with the faction colors as presented in the rulebook’s samples. I kinda like the black and white Sohei model in one of the pictures in the Ronin rulebook, but my other three factions are in darker colors, so for these warrior monks, something colorful to contrast was ideal. The traditional orange and yellow work. I used AK colors with a Seraphim Sepia wash for shading. not a perfect shade, but works for me!

The local gamers I game with prefer games without measuring tape. They dig on Blood Bowl’s clear, square-spaced movement and Gaslands with its move templates. I found these 9″ marked, MDF katana measuring swords for Test of Honor, but as in Ronin a model moves six inches, or can run for three more, they work perfect for Ronin too and omit the need to get out measuring tape.

With the Sohei painted, my current collection of Ronin models is complete. There’s room in the Really Useful Box for some more Swords-for-Hire, maybe Mythological Creatures, or another Buntai. Unsure at the exactly what at the moment, but have several different things I’d like to add in the future. In the meantime, I’m pleased this project is done for now and am scheduling games in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 11:25:48 PM by Mr. White »

Offline Muddlingthrough

• Assistant
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2024, 02:35:03 AM »
This all looks great. I like the cohesive look of the Sohei. And those katana are... just brilliant.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of magnetic bottom are you using for that plastic box? I've got some containers and just need 12"x12" metal to complete the magnetic storage. The big-box hardware store sells pre-cut squares of 26-gauge steel. And I'm just wondering what the other options are.

With the Sohei painted, my current collection of Ronin models is complete. There’s room in the Really Useful Box for some more Swords-for-Hire, maybe Mythological Creatures, or another Buntai. Unsure at the exactly what at the moment, but have several different things I’d like to add in the future. In the meantime, I’m pleased this project is done for now and am scheduling games in the coming weeks.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2024, 10:28:11 PM »
Thanks for the comments!

For the magnetic base in the RUB, I use these: https://www.imagicfly.com/products/sheets-with-adhesive-8-x-10-inch-pack-of-15-flexible-sticky-magnet-sheet

They have an adhesive back, but I super glue them in anyway. My models use metal washers for bases so they stick pretty good. Not great but definitely good enough. I mean, they'll fall everywhere if I drop the RUB or get in a car wreck, but for general moving to and from the storage shelf and riding in the car to game locations, they magnetize perfectly.

Offline Muddlingthrough

• Assistant
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2024, 12:20:48 AM »
Ah interesting. I'm just getting back into the hobby after a long absence and, well, muddling through. My first project are some Republican Romans I put on plastic bases, so I've been pursuing the rare earth magnets route. I broke down and bought a square-foot of 26-gauge galvanized steel. Man, these little magnets are fiddly.

I must say your system looks much simpler and more elegant. And I'd imagine the washers give plastic miniatures heft and a low centre of gravity. I'll have to look into this for my next project.

Thanks for the comments!

For the magnetic base in the RUB, I use these: https://www.imagicfly.com/products/sheets-with-adhesive-8-x-10-inch-pack-of-15-flexible-sticky-magnet-sheet

They have an adhesive back, but I super glue them in anyway. My models use metal washers for bases so they stick pretty good. Not great but definitely good enough. I mean, they'll fall everywhere if I drop the RUB or get in a car wreck, but for general moving to and from the storage shelf and riding in the car to game locations, they magnetize perfectly.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2024, 05:59:29 PM »
Ah interesting. I'm just getting back into the hobby after a long absence and, well, muddling through. My first project are some Republican Romans I put on plastic bases, so I've been pursuing the rare earth magnets route. I broke down and bought a square-foot of 26-gauge galvanized steel. Man, these little magnets are fiddly.

I must say your system looks much simpler and more elegant. And I'd imagine the washers give plastic miniatures heft and a low centre of gravity. I'll have to look into this for my next project.

I don't follow online painting personalities, but a buddy did send me this video, and it's what I've based mine on. For models with plastic bases, like my Blood Bowl models, I do glue strong magnets underneath. For everything else I just use metal washers. They stick fine, and I prefer the lower profile. And like you said, for some models it gives them extra weight at the base.