Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 06:09:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694327
  • Total Topics: 118599
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley XP  (Read 1239 times)

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
Pulp Alley XP
« on: June 16, 2014, 03:46:34 PM »
It says you can trade XP for a new ability, but can you ever up the dice to represent someone getting better at a skill? would make sense - and if so is there a limit on how many dice can be used for a skill? EG trade XP for an additional dice in a skill or shift the dice up.

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
Re: Pulp Alley XP
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 06:15:11 PM »
I know there is a skill that allows you to increase the size of a Die in one skill.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:21:56 PM »
Yeah, I think that would be the primary way you'd increase that character's skill. If you specifically want to bump up the dice type there are a couple of other abilities, like Inhuman or Notable.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »
yes I've seen those, but I mean say a method where perhaps a follower has lasted a couple of games, with enough XP could you turn them into an ally (or start the progress) - obviously you can't go higher as you'd end up with loads of sidekicks  ;D

maybe I'm too used to games like Necromunda for campaigns. I'd also like to think perhaps a league would grow to include a few other people at leader/sidekick level but you may not be able to field them in the same game. Of course, I've not actually played yet this is just my imagination racing ahead of me with dreams of larger organisations sending out specific field agents for various jobs. Or I could be losing my marbles (again)  lol

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 12:08:01 AM »
Well, wanting to promote followers to allies and maybe even allies to sidekicks might make sense for a longer campaign with RPG features. I guess it's just a matter of costing it right.

On the other hand though, you have to be careful to make sure your opposition is still enough of a challenge for your players, or that players don't get spread too far apart. But those are problems with any extended skirmish campaign.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:20:29 PM »
It says you can trade XP for a new ability, but can you ever up the dice to represent someone getting better at a skill? would make sense - and if so is there a limit on how many dice can be used for a skill? EG trade XP for an additional dice in a skill or shift the dice up.

Yes, to trade XP for an additional die in a skill or shift up you'd simply select the appropriate ability with your XP. For example, if you wanted your Ally to be a better shooter you could pick 'Marksman' to boost the number of dice he rolls. This would cost 2 XP.

Remember not to duplicate an ability on the same character, but if you look around you can find something that's close to the same thing.

... a method where perhaps a follower has lasted a couple of games, with enough XP could you turn them into an ally (or start the progress)

There is no game rule/mechanic that will turn a Follower into an Ally. However, players are free to remake/reorganize their leagues as they progress. For example, Mila recently gained an extra roster slot due to a Reputation bonus, so she decided to remake her Follower as an Ally.

I'd also like to think perhaps a league would grow to include a few other people at leader/sidekick level but you may not be able to field them in the same game.

The only real constant is the Leader. Even Sidekicks can be switched out between games. I've seen players make several completely different rosters around the same lead character.

For example, for one scenario maybe you decide to team up your Leader with his old girlfriend and an Egyptian guide. After a few games maybe you decide to swap his supporting characters for a nightclub singer and a short Asian boy. After a few more games, you decide to team him up with his father and bring the Egyptian guide back. And so on...

I hope that helps.

HAVE FUN

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 11:05:20 PM »
For example, for one scenario maybe you decide to team up your Leader with his old girlfriend and an Egyptian guide. After a few games maybe you decide to swap his supporting characters for a nightclub singer and a short Asian boy. After a few more games, you decide to team him up with his father and bring the Egyptian guide back. And so on...

Oh yes! Sic itur ad astra!  :-*

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 11:43:10 PM »
thanks David that helped  :)

aiming to have my first game this friday using some sci fi figures (all I have to hand) and play the smash n grab scenario in a jungle setting - will try to remember to take some pics for an AAR  ;)