Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 01:11:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10472
  • Latest: J_elves
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693371
  • Total Topics: 118531
  • Online Today: 669
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tiger continues HLBS mounties  (Read 4822 times)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Tiger continues HLBS mounties
« on: March 26, 2009, 10:07:58 AM »
Tiger Miniatures announced that they came to an agreement to take over some of the HLBS ranges. Among them are the "mounties"

see here:
http://tigerminiatures.co.uk/

more details to follow
argsilverson

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
Re: Tiger continues HLBS mounties
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 11:21:37 AM »
very cool

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:03:36 AM »
Very nice,  They seem to be of the North West Mounted Police era.

1873 to 1905 NWMP
1905-1920 Royal NWMP
They then absorbed the Quebec Gandarmes, the Ontario Provincial police and a few other law enforcement organizations to become in
1920, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:26:23 AM »
My cousin is a mountie. Not alot of people know that. :D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 08:48:36 AM »
Really, Mal? No kidding, very cool. I've always admired the Mounties. But I like Canadians in general. If not for their bitterly cold weather, I'd spend more time there... something about my genetics and disliking snow, I suspect. Strangely enough, I do have the urge to wear fur hats and burn small villages from time to time, however...

-Doc

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:52:01 AM »
Really, Mal? No kidding, very cool. I've always admired the Mounties. But I like Canadians in general. If not for their bitterly cold weather, I'd spend more time there... something about my genetics and disliking snow, I suspect. Strangely enough, I do have the urge to wear fur hats and burn small villages from time to time, however...

-Doc

Yep its true. We have a photo somewhere of his graduation in the classic red tunic. Last time I saw him though he was twelve years old and came up to my knees, now I come up to his knees...he's huge ::) lol

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 08:28:25 AM »
Well, not alot of people know much history of Canada.

The Mounties main enemy and reason for being founded was to fight Americans.  Mostly their job was to police the indians as they got drunk from American imported liqour.  Americans would set up trading posts, that were basically forts and then trade booze for pelts.  The liqour was often tainted and the prices high.  The trading posts had names like "Fort Whoopup."

Historically the liqour runners would leave when the mounties were known to be in the area, but a great game if they decide to stay.  The indian might decide to join either side.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 09:17:11 AM »
Hi, Leadfool

Good summary, but a small correction.  In 1920, the RNWMP amalgamated with the Dominion Police to become the RCMP.  The OPP and the Surete du Quebec are still around. 

Lots of scope for pulp Mountie action.  Sgt King of the Mounted was a radio serial staple in the 1930s.  Mounties made an appearence in movie version of The Untouchables wearing the khaki patrol uniform that was current up to about the 1960s - the Brigade Games state troopers can be used if you want to try that uniform.  A good "real-life" adventure with the Mounties can be based the hunt for the Mad Trapper of Rat River, or on the Charles Bronson movie Death Hunt, based on the same incident.  (and can also use the models from the same HLBSCo Great White North line!)

Good to see that the line will continue, good job Tiger!

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »
they could also be used to hunt down some evil nazi spies [alongwith Inuits] somewhere in the north frozen regions of the earth!

Or due to their training they might be transported in the Antarctis to protect free world against same evil nazi etc etc etc

But I think their best role I found in some earlier posting of a magnificent game we had in LAF, they were used as: Royal Cairo Metropolitan Police in a very nice Pulp setting

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »

They then absorbed the Quebec Gandarmes, the Ontario Provincial police and a few other law enforcement organizations

Did those Quebec gendarmes etc had any special uniform?????

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 11:38:13 PM »
Painting up these models currently. Very very nice figs. Just bought the companion Osprey book at Hot Lead today! Very happy about that.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 08:25:57 PM »
Painting up these models currently. Very very nice figs. Just bought the companion Osprey book at Hot Lead today! Very happy about that.

Suddenly this range seems to be getting popular. I'm just finishing off my first batch of Great White North British infantry (painted as troops in Russia following WW1, as per the nice illustration in the relevent Osprey. Photos should be posted next weekend on the BoB board.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 01:38:28 PM »
Mal and group....

Having been a police officer in Michigan prior to retirement I have had the unfortunate experience of being present for a number of police funerals.  The Mounties generally sent a team to Michigan as representatives to show support and solidarity with the American law enfocement community.

I can tell you that these guys were always impressive.  Their unifroms were impeccable and they themselves were quite military in bearing and they always exuded an obvious air of confidence.  I 've had the chance to see them in their summer and winter uniforms.   Quite the impressive bunch.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tiger continues HLBS mounties (updated with the 1st releases)
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 12:20:45 AM »
Mounties and divers are now on the catalogue.
See them here:

http://tigerminiatures.co.uk/page7.htm

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tiger continues HLBS mounties (updated with the 1st releases)
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »
Mounties and divers are now on the catalogue.
See them here:

http://tigerminiatures.co.uk/page7.htm

Excellent. These miniatures are too good not to be in production.