Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:05:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694102
  • Total Topics: 118580
  • Online Today: 600
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Round bases it is!......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM)  (Read 395485 times)

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (Beastmen Done! Pg-41) UD:21/03
« Reply #615 on: March 23, 2012, 06:20:50 PM »
Lovely collection of Beastmen!
Pil did some great paintjobs and your bases are fantastic.
Top notch!

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #616 on: March 23, 2012, 06:41:57 PM »
Flippin' hell man, those are crazy good!  Your bases are inspired!  :-* :-* :-*
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #617 on: March 24, 2012, 02:30:04 PM »
Lovely collection of Beastmen!
Pil did some great paintjobs and your bases are fantastic.
Top notch!

Thanks, aggro84!

Flippin' hell man, those are crazy good!  Your bases are inspired!  :-* :-* :-*

Thanks, Faust23!

He certainly did do a cracking job, and I am glad that you both like the bases- A mixture of resin, green stuff and bits from the bits box.

Coming soon- Bert's Outhouse of Doom!

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #618 on: March 24, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »
Those Beastmen rock, Mason (as does the Earth Elemental).  This is such an awesome project.

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #619 on: March 26, 2012, 12:41:20 PM »

Coming soon- Bert's Outhouse of Doom!

"IT CAME FROM THE KHAZI!" :o

Easter sorted? Pray tell...

Bert  8)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #620 on: April 01, 2012, 09:38:48 PM »
Loving those Beastmen - the newer ones fit in well with the classics.  8)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #621 on: April 07, 2012, 08:25:59 PM »
Thanks for the comments, chaps!

We did have a game of Mordheim planned for Friday at my place, but as the numbers grew we decided that it would best to play at Bert's, as my kitchen would have been a little too 'intimate' with five of us and the board squeezed in!
(Not a very nice thought......)

As we would be playing at Chez Bert, it became his responsibilty to run the game for the afternoon.
We had a bit of a chat about what to do, as they were five of us, and came up with the following arrangement; Bert would run the game as GM and play the random elements in the game, and the other four of us would have a randomly determined warband, from the four that had been put together by Bert from his own collection.

This resulted in all four us being given warbands that we had not played before, with a composition that we would probably not have chosen ourselves.
It was a very enjoyable afternoon with the added twist of playing bands that we were unfamiliar with.
At the end there will be at least two of us, maybe a third, who will continue using the band that we had been given at random.

It was an interesting idea, with a good chance of getting something that you would not normally play, and you never know, you may like it and decide to continue with it.
It worked for me, and a Possessed warband is in the offing, with all the conversions needed as Bert had given them a few mutations.
Looking forward to it.
 ;D

Give it a go, you may get a pleasant surprise.....

(P.S. The Krappefortt Khazi has been finished off and will be posted soon. You have been warned!)

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (An idea worth trying!) UD:07/04
« Reply #622 on: April 07, 2012, 09:31:03 PM »
Great to see those classic old beastmen receiving some paintin' love!  As always, thanks for sharing.

-Michael

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #623 on: April 08, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »
Sounds like a fun idea & a good time had by all. It also seems that once Mordheim has bitten you, you're forever a Mordheimer...could be worse.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #624 on: April 11, 2012, 12:47:31 PM »
We did have a game of Mordheim planned for Friday at my place, but as the numbers grew we decided that it would best to play at Bert's, as my kitchen would have been a little too 'intimate' with five of us and the board squeezed in!
(Not a very nice thought......)

As we would be playing at Chez Bert, it became his responsibilty to run the game for the afternoon. We had a bit of a chat about what to do, as they were five of us, and came up with the following arrangement; Bert would run the game as GM and play the random elements in the game, and the other four of us would have a randomly determined warband, from the four that had been put together by Bert from his own collection. This resulted in all four us being given warbands that we had not played before, with a composition that we would probably not have chosen ourselves.

Many thanks for posting this update, Mr Mason.

I am afraid no pictures were taken, cos to be perfectly honest with you, my table plain isn't up to it! Not for the standard of the LA Forum, certainly (although baring one unpainted goblin spearman, the rest of the models were all painted, which I am pretty happy about). My Mordheim scenery is a very scratch-built affair, with a mixture of the original card scenery, some scratch built stuff I've made from cereal packets, some old Warhammer 40,000 ruins circa 3rd ed. and some 40K Cities of Death buildings. It'll do to play a game on, but compared to Mason's luvverly scenery it's a bit threadbare! (and that's putting it mildly...). Certainly nothing I'd be willing to point a camera at for the purposes of this august organ; not for the first time do I reflect upon how lucky we are to play on Mason's gorgeous table... :-*

As there were so many of us I was up for running a multi-player scenario developed as a special Easter one-off - Egg Hunt. The basic premise was that an area of Mordheim had become lair to a group of griffons, who had made nests amid the ruins. Another group of warbands had attempted to steal the eggs from the nests and been driven off by the griffons for the time being, leaving the nests exposed. Enter our four intrepid warbands on an egg hunt, with griffon eggs commanding a decent price (think of the size of the omlette alone... ;D).  

Before they could search for the eggs, the warbands first had to see what was lurking in each ruinded building. A standard deck of playing cards was used, with the cards representing one of Mordheim's fauna (giant rats, giant bats, giant spiders or ghouls) or some kind of hazard (rotten timbers, buildings on the point of collapse, hallucinogenic mushroom spores* or magical vortices).

It was a very experimental game, thrown together as a light-hearted one-off special. Mason was unlucky as the orcs attacked his possessed early doors and he never really got a chance to find any eggs after the ensuing set-to - he was reduced in the ranks and forced to scuttle off the board after a failed rout test. The dwarves and undead had a better time of it down the other end of the table, largely conducting their searches without bashing each other.

It needed a few tweaks to be run as a proper scenario, but I never thought anyone would be interested in keeping the starter warbands I created for them! Glad Mason and a few others enjoyed the game enough to keep their new bands, though.

Mordheim is great for starting new warbands, as there isn't much outlay involved in models. I have two active possessed warbands (The Unforgiveable and the Theatre of the Grotesque), with plans for more. You can have great fun converting whatever is to hand. I tend torwards orc bodies for mutants and brethren as they have a satisfying bulk, and hulking posture (a tip I learned from a copy of GW's Town Cryer many moons ago). As my next possessed project will be Nurgle based, I think I will need to put a good deal more thought into the models. I forsee some interesting modelling possibilities with distended bellies and hanging intestines! (The models, not mine hopefully! Although anyone who knows me will confirm I seem to have an association with Father Nurgle where my own health is concerned at times :o).

Looking forward to Mason's possessed project, as they are by far my favourite warband.

Bert
*Not encountered by any of the warbands sadly! Had a very entertaining table of effects worked out for the mushies, too. Another time...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:52:14 PM by Legionnaire Bert »

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #625 on: April 11, 2012, 07:13:21 PM »
Sounds like a fun idea & a good time had by all. It also seems that once Mordheim has bitten you, you're forever a Mordheimer...could be worse.

Once you enter Mordheim, you never really leave.…

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM Make it Generic! UD:14/05
« Reply #626 on: May 14, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »
Once you enter Mordheim, you never really leave.…
lol
You are spot on with that one, mate!

In fact Mordheim seems to have followed some of us across genres, too!

Our group has not played any Mordheim for over a month, although the scenery built for Krappefortt has certainly seen some use.
All of the scenery pieces in this thread were built to be used as universally as possible.
No obvious Mordheim references were used, except for the posters, with even some of them being fairly generic.
In fact, with the exception of the Halfling Quarter, all the scenery should be usable in many other games.
To prove the point we have recently been playing quite a few games of Strange Aeons using a fair bit of it.
The em4 Farm is an obvious candidate for multi-genre usefullness, and it has seen use in our SA games.
The most recent game saw extensive use of the Church/Temple, for Mordheim, it is usually used as
a Temple of Sigmar, but has also seen use as the Asylum, Gaol and Library, but in Strange Aeons it was recently used as a ruined Monastery.
It was the first scenery piece featured in this thread, so I thought that it would be appropriate to show its use in a more general sense with some pictures of a recent SA game that featured it.
There are some pictures here that show some of the elements of its composition that may not have been  as noticeable in previous shots.
The pictures:

These are the 'normal' colour pictures, straight from the camers,for Strange Aeons AAR's a more 'vintage' look is used.

(To see these, they are here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=41631.0)

All in all, I think it pays to put some thought into your scenery when you are building it.
Do not put restrictions on yourself by being too genre-specific.
Make each item as generic as possible and you will get more use out of it.
You dont have to make as much scenery this way either, so it also helps on the storage front!

I hope you find this idea useful, and get more out of your scenery...

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (Make it Generic!) UD: 14/05
« Reply #627 on: May 14, 2012, 09:03:49 PM »
Stunning mason, i really like the mix and feel of your city.

Very nice.

Cheers
Andy

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #628 on: May 14, 2012, 11:27:25 PM »
I think the colour choice makes all the difference on the church. In dark gothic grey it would look IMO more out of place than that nice light beige colour you have it painted in. :)

Good stuff.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #629 on: May 15, 2012, 01:47:58 PM »
Another FINE LOOKING game! The settings is perfect for Gothic Horror; there is a universality to much of the terrain we make or can make...Notre Dame looks just as appropriate for The Hunchback as it does for the scenes from Van Helsing. If you added a couple of sheds with corrugated iron/steel roofs, the setting would looks fine for a Post Apocalypse game.