Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:18:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694108
  • Total Topics: 118580
  • Online Today: 600
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Round bases it is!......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM)  (Read 395488 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Oh sweet dose of Mordheim received! Hope it was as good for you as it was for me :P

Thanks, Mo!!
It was indeed.

Great pics! Wow! Did I say Wow yet? Wow. Now that's a big village you have built and it really looks so much better than any Mordheim I've ever played. Thumbs up!

Thanks, Doomhippie!
It is quite a large set-up. I have never used all of it at one time, there is too much of it now.
It will continue to grow, though, as I have more to build for it in the future, as well as to go back and 'tidy-up' a few things on existing pieces.

Fantastic effort on the battle report again there Mason!  :-* Good pics too, mate - you sell yourself short on those ;) Another really good fun game - looking forward to part deux...

Bert aka Malkum von Castiron

Thanks, Bert! (Or should that be Malkum?)
Do not forget that half of the report is down to you!

The Battle Report & photos were BRILLIANT as always. All the Guys/Gals/Thingies seem rather camera shy...they're all moving away from the photographer.

Thanks, DeafNala!
I will try to find some pics with the Guys/Gals/Thingies facing the 'correct' way!
 ;)

Gorgeous as ever - looking forwards to part deux.

Liking the house rules for the skellingtons and shields - very flavoursome!

Thanks, Thatsants!
The thanks should go to Bert, really, for posting up the Skellie rules that we use.
I did not think of that!

Part Deux should be up tomorrow....

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
Oh! Did you want me to do the rest of the report Mason? Can do, mate - are you okay loading pics? Need to trust tome memory now...

::)

Bert

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
Oh! Did you want me to do the rest of the report Mason? Can do, mate - are you okay loading pics? Need to trust tome memory now...

Bert

Did it involved moving yr gang towards one area of the table, then changing plan and moving back the way you came? That seems to be the standard ploy.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!

It is Ok, mate, I will get to it tomorrow. Should have the time then.
Been a pretty hectic weekend and just have not had the time.

Nothing to do with your memory, mate.
Honest!
 ;)

Did it involved moving yr gang towards one area of the table, then changing plan and moving back the way you came? That seems to be the standard ploy.

Not this time, mate.
He had a much more cunning plan!
You will see tomorrow.
 ;)

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist

Oh, is it really Mr Kitsune? Guess you'll just have to read the rest of the report to find out if you are right...

;)

And it ain't my fault if certain servants of Sigmar feel the need to hide behind ogre bodyguards ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:38:43 PM by Legionnaire Bert »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Part 2

With the opposing warbands in the centre of the table, and the Beastmen almost in possession of both shards, the Undead were poised to carry off the first charge of the game.

Which they duly did.

The lead skeleton and the Dire Wolf steaming full ahead into the two Bestigors.
The remaining Skeletons ambled to their right, manouvering to protect the shard whilst waiting for the inevitable countercharge from the Chaos Hounds

Meanwhile, the party led by the Vampire, Lord Malkum Von Castiron, advanced towards the other band of Beastmen, forming a defensive wall in the process. Johnny Jim-Jams seemed particularly pleased with his new outfit as he strutted his stuff on the roof of the pig pen!

The state of play after the charge, but before combat took place.

At the rear of the Beastmen lines their Chieftain, Baska Bloodhorn bellowed for his followers to get stuck into the bony opposition!

As the charge in the center hit home, one of the Bestigor was sent reeling from the impact of the Dire Wolf

The countercharge from the Chaos Hounds was not as effective as it could have been, as one of the Hounds was just out of reach and failed to enter the fray.

Meanwhile, the other Chaos Hound had moved into position to charge the rear of the group of Skellies, his Scorpion Tail poised and quivering in anticipation...........

.....whilst the Centigor had done the same to the Vampire-led contingent.

While this melee was taking place in the centre, on the Beastman right the Chieftain had moved up to support his underlings in oredr to provide protection for the escape of the Gor who had the other shard of Wyrdstone.

Back to the melee in the centre and carnage was being let loose.
One of the Bestigor was out of the fight, having been savaged by the Dire Wolf, while one of the Chaos Hounds had been injured by a Skeleton.
The Skeletons had one of their number reeling, though, due to the ferocity of the other Hound.

The Vampire led his minions in a charge on the Beastman Chieftain and his follower

While the carnage continued in the centre.....

...the Skeleton who had been downed arose and ambled to face the Chaos Hound that threatenened their rear.

In the clash of the leaders, things were looking bad for the Beasts.
The Centigor had charged one of the Dregs, whilst the Necromancer had obviously found more important things for him to do over by the Docks!
The Beastman leader had one more trick up his loincloth, though!
He ordered one of his minions, who had been skulking up high above the fight waiting for his opportunity, to dive onto the Vampire and hopefully turn the fight in their favour!
Following his orders, the obediant Goat-man did so.
Only to catch a hoof on the ruined masonry and tumble headlong to the floor!

Things were starting to look grim for the Beastmen!

It was not all bad, though, as one of the Gors had managed to grab a shard and was making his way towards the Beastman camp with it!

The higher view of the battlefield showing the seperate desperate fighting going on.

The fighting continued, and as combatants from either side were felled, it was going to come down to break tests.

Eventually, after losing one too many of their number, it was the Beastmen who broke and ran......

.........But all was not in vain, as the sneaky Gor who had climbed up high had managed to leave the field with a precious shard! As Dusk settled he snuck off back to the Tribe's camp, knowing he would be richly rewarded by his Chieftain...

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
Another good battle report from another good game of Mordheim, Mason! 8)

I felt the Veal were a bit unlucky on this one, as they just couldn't get enough telling strikes in on the night walkers. Despite giving them a severe gnawing the hounds just couldn't get the better of those skeletons!

I did okay out of this scenario, earning enough to recruit a couple of ghouls for the warband, known as the Scum Suckers. They will make an appearance in the next game.

Looking forward to another tussle already! I am sure Baska will be out for revenge, and Malkum's always out for blood, so it should be a good wheeze :D

Just need to save those pffenigs to recruit an ogre body guard now - undead style!

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
As much as I love to see your Strange Aeons stuff its also really cool to see some Mordheim updates.  :-*
Your games look extremely fun.  :D

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
As much as I love to see your Strange Aeons stuff its also really cool to see some Mordheim updates.  :-*
Your games look extremely fun.  :D

They always are, Aggro, we are very lucky in that respect :). Mason's done nothing short of an amazing job on the scenery. It's his passion, and that really shows in the work which he does :-*. Makes for some excellent games; we're all fairly decent chaps to each other and gaming arguments are rare (although not unheard of! ;)). Mason's always a good opponent to play, so I get a lot out of the games we play. Mordheim's such a superb game. Stange Aeons is up there now, I must say.

Hoping to run a Necromunda campaign myself next year, but currently lack the technology to do the incredible job Mason does on his AAR's, so might not be able to share it on the pages of the LAF unfortunately. :'(

Playing Starnge Aeons tomorrow, but I am always badgering Mason for a game of Mordheim, so hoping for a game soon too (that's not a hint by the way Mason! Well, maybe...). The undead shall rise again!

My problem is I find it so easy to collect and paint Mordheim warbands I really don't know where to stop! I already have two for the possessed and undead and one for dwarves and orcs. I have a freshly stripped witch hunters warband awaiting a re-paint (including Sigmar-worshiping ogre bodyguard) and I am strongly tempted to do another possessed warband with a Nurgle theme. All of this and I am supposed to be painting up an Imperial Fists army (not for Mordheim! ;D).

Apologies for ramble.... ::)

Bert
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:41:49 PM by Legionnaire Bert »

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Excellent conclusion and congrats on Bert for the victory. I guess these close fought games are always the best and in those cases it's always the matter of who runs first. It's still better than a total walkover at any rate.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
As much as I love to see your Strange Aeons stuff its also really cool to see some Mordheim updates.  :-*
Your games look extremely fun.  :D

Thanks, aggro!
I have to keep stopping myself from wandering off of my current project to knock up something for Mordheim.
I do much prefer making scenery, but where does one store it if you have too much?

Hoping to run a Necromunda campaign myself next year, but currently lack the technology to do the incredible job Mason does on his AAR's, so might not be able to share it on the pages of the LAF unfortunately. :'(

Oh, but you could, mate.
We shall have to chat about it.
 ;)

Playing Starnge Aeons tomorrow, but I am always badgering Mason for a game of Mordheim, so hoping for a game soon too (that's not a hint by the way Mason! Well, maybe...). The undead shall rise again!

Ok, mate, hint taken!
Incidentally, a mutual friend of ours called last night and is eager to take on your Undead with his Sisters of Sigmar!
We will have to see what we can arrange.
 ;)

Excellent conclusion and congrats on Bert for the victory. I guess these close fought games are always the best and in those cases it's always the matter of who runs first. It's still better than a total walkover at any rate.

You are so right, Pil.
Those close games are so much fun.
Even more so if you can make the occasional Leadership roll....

It seems that I am obsessed with using those lovely Beastmen that you painted for me now, even if they do keep running away!

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist

Thanks Pil! :D

Your excellent work on painting Mason's beastmen has not gone to waste - he was pretty unlucky to lose that one. And the models look gorgeous :-*.

Bert

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
Ooh I do look forward to these AARs... nice work!

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist

Oh, but you could, mate.
We shall have to chat about it.
 ;)

Ok, mate, hint taken!
Incidentally, a mutual friend of ours called last night and is eager to take on your Undead with his Sisters of Sigmar!
We will have to see what we can arrange.
 ;)

I will wilingly submit myself to apprenticeship to Mars for training as a Techmarine under your capable tutelage, Frabricator General Mason! ;) That would be great if you could show me the way, mate, as I'd love to be able to post some AARs with piccies if I can get the boys involved in a Necromunda campaign next year.

The time scale's so long cos I need time to assemble and paint a whole raft of Necromunda-suitable terrain (including the bits you kindly donated) - I have plans afoot for that! I am hoping to have a proper 4' x 4' gaming board filled with half-decent terrain for it. Your Mordheim/Strange Aeons table is an obvious inspiration, mate, so I would like to do a good job there. Wanna design the campaign so it is a little more themed than the last one, too.

I am bang up for that game against the sisters! Let me know when our man if free as that would be cool. 8)

Bert

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!

I am bang up for that game against the sisters! Let me know when our man if free as that would be cool. 8)

Bert

Well, Bertie, it seems the good man (panzerfaust65) does want to bring his Sisters out of retirement!
In fact, we should have another forum member joining us for the evening, one Mr smokezombie.

So, a four-player game looks on the cards for the evening!
Pictures will of course be taken, and will include two warbands that have not been seen on here before.

Of course, the upshot of this is a sudden urge to work on some new scenery that has been on the back burner for a while.
Two pieces, in fact.
The first is a Witch's House, a lovely piece made by Zaheer of the LAF.
It will be my Krappefortt variant of the model, here is a lovely example painted by Robh as part of his Grim Fairy Tales thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43107.0

The second piece is a Wizards Tower, loosely based on the one produced by Pegasus.

Also, as there have been quite a few Mordheim questions asked and answered on this board lately, I thought that I would begin posting a few of the 'House Rules' used by our group in our recent campaigns.
I have been asked about these a few times by various members and have not posted them yet.

Time to rectify that, so here are the basic ones set down at the start of the last campaign:

Shields: Shields confer an additional +1 armour save when used in conjunction with a one handed weapon (sword, axe, hammer, mace, club, spear) in close combat only. A shield always gives a model a save of at least 6+, regardless of all modifiers, in close combat, but only if it is being used. This rule does not apply if the shield is being carried by the model. It must actually be in active use, not slung on a model’s back.

Overwatch: Model must do nothing in its turn, other than pivot on the spot, to declare Overwatch. Shots taken on Overwatch are at -1 to hit.

Defended Obstacle: The ‘defending’ model must be in base contact with the obstacle, (i.e. wall, barricade etc) and the obstacle must be between the defender and attacker. In this circumstance the defender gets to attack first, in the first turn of combat only.
Skeletons: Have the same stats as Zombies, but have access to the Undead Hand-to-hand Combat list. A skeleton can only be equipped with one weapon, no dual-wielding of weapons is allowed. Shields and armour can be selected.

Halbard: Benefits from the Strike First special rule to put them on a par with spears. They remain two-handed weapons and cannot be combined with shields.
Hand Guns: Benefit from an additional +1 on the Injury Table. This reflects their ability to cause major damage on entry and exit. This will also compensate for their high cost in comparison to a crossbow.

Giant Rats: Rats can climb structures. Even though Giant Rats are considered Animals in Mordheim they can climb following the normal climbing/falling rules, and are considered to have the Wall Runner (Skaven special) skill.

Ladders: Two people can move or run with a ladder with no penalties, but they cannot fight while carrying it. One person can carry it, but only at normal movement. The model/s moving the ladder, in the beginning of their Movement Phase, must be in base to base with the ladder and do nothing other than move with the ladder. It is assumed that the ladder is placed when the figures reach the dead zone of a building, the ladder however cannot be climbed until the next movement phase by those at its base.

Falling: Figures fall in a random direction, use a scatter dice.

Diving Charge Attack: If the target model has a weapon that enables the Strike First skill, such as a spear, is the target of a Diving Charge attack and is unaware of the attacker, he loses the ability to attack first and the charger goes first. This rule also applies to any skill that would possibly enable a model being charged to strike before the charger. To be aware of an attack, the charging model must be in the defender’s frontal 180 degree arc, AND the defender must pass an Initiative test.

Carrying Chests: In scenarios where the carrying of a chest off of the board is involved, the figures carrying the chest cannot actually choose to attack while they carry the chest. If they wish to fight they must first put the chest down and then choose to charge as normal. Putting down and picking up the chest does not cost any movement.

Passing Objects: If you pass an object between models, the model being the receiver cannot move any further in his movement phase after receiving the object. This is to prevent a chain gang effect of unrealistic movement of any items.

Charge Order: Charges must be moved in the same order as each model was nominated as charging.

Accidental Death!: A model who kills another model by “accident” (whether that be by drowning from being Knocked Down in water or who falls and dies after being Knocked Down or Stunned while on a elevated position) will receive experience for the kill.

There are a few more that have been added since, including Drowning and the rules that we devised and playtested for the Dwarf Miner Character.

I will post these soon...