Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 09:32:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hail Caesar Epic (12mm)  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Ran The Cid

• Bookworm
Re: Hail Caesar Epic (12mm)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2024, 02:00:17 PM »
If they manage to expand into the Alexandrian period then I will get Porus' army just so I can field a couple of dozen elephants. It should be manageable in this scale  :D

I like the idea of epic, but I just "finished" Punic Wars in 28mm and have no need to start over in a new scale.  Put if they make pike phalanxes, I'll be all in on Alex, Persians and Successor wars.  Even a small table would look grand with dozens of these little units.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2024, 12:40:12 AM »
It would be quite interesting if they expand the war as the period has a lot of excellent battles of different armies that would allow.

I've noted though that some folks were quite disappointed that they didn't expand the Napoleonic range to, for example, include the Austrians.

So we will have to wait and see.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2024, 05:41:24 AM »
Yes, I was very surprised that they didn't expand the Napoleonic range, but kept to a restricted "Waterloo" theme. I could see them expanding into a late Successor army as another opponent for the Polybian Romans but I guess other ancient periods will depend on popularity plus whatever plans they have. I have a host of 28mm armies including Punic Wars so won't be spending my cash with Warlord.   

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2024, 06:16:08 AM »
It would be quite interesting if they expand the war as the period has a lot of excellent battles of different armies that would allow.

I've noted though that some folks were quite disappointed that they didn't expand the Napoleonic range to, for example, include the Austrians.

So we will have to wait and see.

These projects are huge investments and the reality is they just can’t do everything up front. I think you will see a number of starter sets that cross a range of interests to build up an Epic following. The period expansions can then fit in over the future of the company, as surely Epic will be the company’s cash cow that will help future sustainability.

Saturation and diminishing returns will also be a factor. If for example the Napoleonic French / British / Prussian starter sets were a huge success and sold 20,000 each, with that done, how many sets would an Austrian (say) sell? Unlikely to be the same or as good as the first armies.

I can see them covering new topics for a while yet.

Offline macsen wledig

• Bookworm
  • Dave Hollin
    • Society of Ancients
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2024, 11:10:34 AM »
he waits......
Slingshot Editor, Society of Ancients

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2024, 06:53:00 PM »
I wonder if they will have an army box for each Rome and Carthage?

For sure they will have a starter box with both.

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2024, 10:16:38 PM »
Hi Guys
Another new scale ..??   please ... o_o o_o o_o o_o
Wouldnt be that bad except it that doesnt fit to anything I currently have , .Ie no terrain, no existing armies to fight with.. o_o lol and no one else has this scale either mostly round here  15mm and 28mm  what for ???
While I can see the value in 12mm..maybe for WW2 .. here not so much ..
Also those Romans look terrible in Tight formation like that IMHO ...they look like 1989 15mm Essex miniatures .. except not as nice ..
I love the period but that will be a pass for me..  lol

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: Today at 08:43:05 AM »
I didn't delve the Black Powder Epic set, does it have different rules from the old BP rules? And, conversely, will we have new rules for this HC game, or will it just be new miniatures, fluff etc.?
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:53:22 AM »
The rules are the same HC or BP rules - given how short the actual rules in both sets are there is no issue fitting them into a smaller book.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: Today at 04:15:01 PM »
I didn't delve the Black Powder Epic set, does it have different rules from the old BP rules? And, conversely, will we have new rules for this HC game, or will it just be new miniatures, fluff etc.?

The rules in the Napoleon Epic set were essentially the same rules as the ‘big’ black powder rule book. What they did, was change the material to make it Napoleonic specific, so all images and scenarios etc became Napoleonic based and there are a couple of pages in there that talk about the Epic style basing for creating units.

The text is smaller, so from a rules point of view, you are just seeing the big book compressed into a smaller format.

If the Epic Hail Caesar is to follow the same format, then it should be the same ruleset but photo’s and scenarios are given a Rome / Carthage focus.

One thing they did do for Napoleonic Epic was to release a very useful Waterloo Scenario book, which seemed very well researched and covered all of the various 1815 battles and actions from the campaign, so there would be cause to hope that something similar might be on the planning board for the Hail caesar release.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:23:41 PM by Norm »

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: Today at 04:31:30 PM »
Hi Guys
Another new scale ..??   please ... o_o o_o o_o o_o
Wouldnt be that bad except it that doesnt fit to anything I currently have , .Ie no terrain, no existing armies to fight with.. o_o lol and no one else has this scale either mostly round here  15mm and 28mm  what for ???
While I can see the value in 12mm..maybe for WW2 .. here not so much ..
Also those Romans look terrible in Tight formation like that IMHO ...they look like 1989 15mm Essex miniatures .. except not as nice ..
I love the period but that will be a pass for me..  lol

I don’t think lack of compatibility of the Epic range with other 15’s is a size or scale thing, as they do seem to fit in with smaller or truer 15mm, for example, Peter Pig cavalry was used by some to work with the Pike & Shot, it is more the way the that the foot troops are arrayed in tight shoulder to shoulder lines that makes it difficult to match other manufacturers and you either like that look or you don’t.

Thinking about it, before Epic came along, I can’t really think of any systems etc that have soldiers so tightly packed on a base. I like 28’s, but many of the images that I see on the internet have (in my humble opinion) figures spread too far apart, for something to look like any of the paintings illustrations that we see of say 18th Century line, with men taking up 3 foot of space each etc … but many of us have never particularly wanted to purchase or paint 33% figures and rule sets have never demanded / suggested that we need to.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:39:17 PM by Norm »