Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 02:38:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Inspirational Movies?  (Read 8088 times)

Offline Prof Steelblade

• Bookworm
Re: Inspirational Movies?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 08:25:59 AM »
For cyberpunk, dont forget the old tv-serie Max Headroom :)
Don't know if it fits here but the old classic movie "The Warriors" is good for gangfighting.

Then there is a film I can't remember the name on. It's about a scavenger who finds a robot out in the desert and give it to his girlfriend who is an artist. The robot power up and start kill people. In the end you found out it's the goverments new program for the problem with overcrowded cities. :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 09:14:01 AM »
Pil, I think you watch too many movies, but you still find time to paint and model lots of good stuff. Who made your time machine?  lol

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 09:58:46 AM »
....Then there is a film I can't remember the name on. It's about a scavenger who finds a robot out in the desert and give it to his girlfriend who is an artist. The robot power up and start kill people. In the end you found out it's the goverments new program for the problem with overcrowded cities. :)

Oh yes I remember watching that one, can't for th elife of me remember what its called either

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 10:02:23 AM »
Then there is a film I can't remember the name on. It's about a scavenger who finds a robot out in the desert and give it to his girlfriend who is an artist. The robot power up and start kill people. In the end you found out it's the goverments new program for the problem with overcrowded cities. :)

Hardware.  Its garbage IIRC (not that a little thing like that stopped me from watching it all those years ago ;)  )

Starship Troopers one is fantastic.  SST 2 is (IMO) worthless.  It was directed by the SFX guy from the first movie (IIRC).  That in itself isnt necessarily a bad thing but lets just say that maybe he should have stuck with what he was good at...
SST2 re-uses some of the same SFX footage from the first movie and casts some of the same actors in different roles in a confusing manner.  Its cheap looking, disjointed, shockingly directed and acted.  It is a waste of time IMO.

SST 3 is an improvement over the second one (which wasnt difficult) but it still isnt anything like the quality of the first one.  Still, if you are a fan of that sort of thing it is fun.  Much truer to the the first movie than the second.

I have not-Resident Evil S.T.A.R.S., modern vampires and modern werewolves on my painting table at the moment (amongst other unfinished things).  Obviously the movies that get my creative juices going for those are the Blade, Underworld and Resident Evil trilogies.

The may all be pretty flawed movies but all of them have a few scenes that make me go "I want to play a game with THAT!"  :D

Except maybe RE3.  Thats the worst of those nine.  In my opinion of course.  YMMV and all that.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 10:05:50 AM »
Pil, I think you watch too many movies, but you still find time to paint and model lots of good stuff. Who made your time machine?  lol

You have to paint while you watch the movies I think.  It slows the painting down a bit (and genuinely good films or movies with subtitles are way too distracting) but at least the painting can be done in the living room with some company. 

It certainly helps me that I can get painting done while in the same room as my wife rather than retreating to the man-cave every time that I want to do some painting.

Offline Prof Steelblade

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 11:56:43 AM »
Thanks Cheetor!
That was the name of the movie. Well it was a lowbudgetmovie or at least you got that feel. :)

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 09:50:31 PM »
I don't like any of the Starship Troopers movies, but the animated series was decent, IMO.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 10:04:58 PM »
I don't like any of the Starship Troopers movies, but the animated series was decent, IMO.

I just saw a part of an episode and it look pretty good.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 11:09:03 PM »

The animated SST series won an award for its music I think, which was kinda weird as the constant soundtrack was a kind of bland techno (and I quite like techno, so it wasnt a dislike of that type of music in general that put me off).

The series had a good look, no doubt.  The hardware and bugs worked off the movie aesthetic and expanded it convincingly enough to convince Mongoose Publishing to make a miniature game based on the animated series look. The animated show also got the protagonists into powered armour which the movie had avoided but which pleased fans of the book a lot I think. 

Overall I found the animated series is pretty dull and repetitive to be honest (and as a Starship Troopers fan I didnt need that much to be happy with it, but it never happened).  There was a whole lot of very ineffectual morita rifle fire that seemed so irrelevant as to be irritating: lots of shooting at things that ignore it 100% gets pretty tedious quite fast). 

The story arc didnt really bring anything terribly interesting to the table either IMO, just bug-of-the-week stuff.  At least some of the heavier powersuit/small mech miniatures that indirectly came from the animated show were cool.  I remember the Grizzly as looking nice although I never picked any up when they were available  :(

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 03:47:59 PM »
There was a whole lot of very ineffectual morita rifle fire that seemed so irrelevant as to be irritating: lots of shooting at things that ignore it 100% gets pretty tedious quite fast). 

Huh. If I remember correctly, it was the same problem with the first movie. A complete MI army was eradicated without causing too much casualties, but at the end, a few troopers managed to hold off the horde and piled slain bugs before them
per aspera ad astra

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 12:48:15 PM »
i'm looking forward to ZOMBIELAND looks inspirational
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11HxzyqKqAw&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fdawnofthelead.wordpress.com%2F&feature=player_embedded

Hehe, seems a LOT like the "X-treme Zombie Hunter" miniatures game! People killing zombies for sports ;)

I don't have cable TV so I buy and rent a lot of DVD's 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins