Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 05:40:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: D&D Castle Ravenloft Game Review  (Read 2926 times)

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
Re: D&D Castle Ravenloft Game Review
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 06:04:09 PM »
Nice Ive been considering buying this game. One point though, while there are no expansions, the Wrath of Ashdarlan (or whatever) and Legend of Drizzt games are compatable with Ravenloft and all thier monsters and tiles can be added to make new games.

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »
Nice Ive been considering buying this game. One point though, while there are no expansions, the Wrath of Ashdarlan (or whatever) and Legend of Drizzt games are compatable with Ravenloft and all thier monsters and tiles can be added to make new games.

I did not know about those! Noted, thanks!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 02:59:56 PM »
I know this thread is not the newest anymore bit I thought I'd give you a little feedback. I bought the game a feww weeks ago and have finally managed to play a round or two with my weekly rpg group yesterday. It's actually quite challenging to play (not because of difficult rules - far from it. It takes only about 10 minutes to understand those). But it's really fun as well. And the minis are really spectacular for this kind of game.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 05:15:50 PM »
This is a bit late too, but a while back I wrote an award-winning scenario for Ravenloft, pre-Drizzt/Ashardalon Campaign Rules.

http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2011/01/castle-ravenloft-adventure-hunt-for.html
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:50:05 AM »
Also, all of the Dungeon Command sets come with cards to use the figures in the D&D board games as well.

Personally, I found the game "nifty", but that's about all. It has fantastic component quality and graphic design, but the gameplay was kind of bland and boring, as you say in your review. It was fun enough as you were playing it, but there just wasn't that "magic something" that grabbed you after the game and inspired you to play again. It certainly channels the look and the mechanics of 4th ed D&D, but it fails to capture the imagination of D&D. It has sat in my closet for over a year now, we've just never really cared enough to bring it back out.

It's a shame too, I had always wanted a fantasy/D&D version of Betrayal at House on the Hill, which is almost exactly what this game is (Betrayal is also made by Avalon Hill/WotC), but it's just missing...I dunno, something. Maybe a DM player controlling the monsters Descent style, or play it in teams monster team vs PC team.
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 04:28:19 PM »
Personaly, I really like these games.

On coop multiplayer, it's an easy to learn game. A couple of beers and some friends, and you have a nice way to spend some time diferent than just playing the game console.

On solo, it's a fast game that you can play in half and hour easily.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 06:22:54 PM »
Thread Necromancy!

Really though, I view Ravenloft as a beta version of this game. Ashardalon clarifies all of the oddly missing and ambiguous rules, and adds more compelling things. Drizzt takes that slightly further... The only thing I hate about this game is that it comes with so many bloody miniatures all in one very reasonably priced package! More unpainted figures for me to deal with!!!

n.

Offline Nedo

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 12:13:41 AM »
I have all the D&D Board games, but I've never played it....For me a game too simplistic.
I've looted miniatures, some tokens and all the dungeon tiles for a personal dungeoncrawl game system.
Cards are still sealed.

The only thing I hate about this game is that it comes with so many bloody miniatures all in one very reasonably priced package! More unpainted figures for me to deal with!!!

Same thought .... the 70% of miniatures is yet to paint ...

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 02:19:59 AM »
we have played it a few times. It's lovely to look at and the figures are great, but the rules are too simple, and the events are so random that there isn't really any option to use tactics or strategy. It gets dull very quickly.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/