Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:17:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Andy's Pulp misadventures...  (Read 51380 times)

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Andy's Pulp misadventures...
« Reply #285 on: May 04, 2024, 09:22:19 PM »
Oh my - I absolutely love the bank - can we have a bit more info on the construction? Is there some Plasticville in there? The answer may be somewhere back in the topic but it’s Saturday night and refreshment has been taken so research is not an option.

Equally, I can’t remember off-hand at what period in history we’re at here? For example, does the original Vegas exist yet?

Doug

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #286 on: May 04, 2024, 11:29:25 PM »
Love that bank.  And I'm glad you left the windows white(ish)... ;)
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #287 on: May 07, 2024, 01:42:10 AM »
The greenish cast to the stone looks awesome. Love it.

Mike Demana

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #288 on: May 09, 2024, 08:41:20 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging comments.

Oh my - I absolutely love the bank - can we have a bit more info on the construction? Is there some Plasticville in there?

Thanks, Doug. I prefer card to plastic, so the bank is basically 1mm thick card; lots of 1mm thick card. I tend to make walls a minimum of 3 thicknesses. Windows are glued in the apertures, then backed by a piece of cereal packet.

The 'stones' on the front are more layers of card, glued and sanded on the corners of the building so they are somewhat rounded. I think by the time I'd finished, the front was about 10mm thick in places. Here's the front wall unpainted:

The whole is liberally painted with Shellac, which dries rock solid. So far this method seems to have prevented any serious warping. Here's another building under construction which shows the layering method involved:

At some point, I'll get around to making an interior...

Equally, I can’t remember off-hand at what period in history we’re at here? For example, does the original Vegas exist yet?

Good point. It is 1937, so Las Vegas is also pretty small; Georgetown is probably an equal competitor rather than a wannabe imitator, with the added advantage it's a transport hub, although that's probably balanced by the cost of using said transport...

More details here, just scroll down... https://korschtal.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 08:46:01 AM by Andy in Germany »

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #289 on: May 11, 2024, 07:27:19 AM »
Time for an Ascension Island Story. Grab the popcorn...

It’s 1937 and a perfect morning on Ascension Island. The sun is shining, and a southern wind is blowing, fortuitously bringing the smell of the sea and carrying away the whiff of several hundred toilets without mains plumbing.

In the capital of the Island, Georgetown, the tourists are waking, the newspaper boys are delivering the early editions, and the 40 Elephants gang is robbing a bank.

Again.

After the mess of their previous attempt, the Forty Elephants have tried to split roles a little better. This time Jim Bullock and Mary Carr, the gang’s muscle, were sent to make the robbery with Florrie Holmes providing a distraction.

This division of labour is why the story begins with the gang exiting the bank, having successfully purloined the Jewelled Tome. (not at all because I haven’t built the interior of the bank yet…). They rush to the getaway car…

Meanwhile, Captain Bryant of the Royal Navy Air Service Police is patrolling the warehouse district. He spots Alice Diamond, the gang’s leader. On seeing Bryant, Alice makes the ill-advised decision to shoot at him…

It turns out that there are quite a few policemen in the area because of yet another anonymous tip off. Soon Bryant is joined by Sergeant Williams, and Sgt. Coulson, the latter running from his car. Bryant sees Coulson and tells him in no uncertain terms to return to his vehicle.

While Bryant was distracted by Coulson, Alice has run down an alley to the rest of the gang.

Seeing the policeman behind Alice the rest of the gang leaps into the car and Jim hits the gas. Despite Bryant firing at the car, they manage to reach Alice, who makes a leap for the back door while Jim and Mary fire at Bryant from the front.

Fortunately for Bryant, help is on the way in the form of Lieutenant Cain, who has also heard gunshots and is racing toward them, siren blaring.

Bryant isn’t willing to let these miscreants escape so easily. As the car rushes past, he leaps on board and starts grappling with the occupants. (I know he should be on the other side of the vehicle, but the figure fitted much better on this side so don’t complain).

A horrified Lieutenant Cain sees the getaway car pass, with his Captain holding on for dear life.

“Why am I not surprised?” he mutters and guns the engine in pursuit.

Jim is already trying to keep control of the speeding getaway car while holding onto his prize and fighting Bryant, while the other occupants fire at Lieutenant Cain behind them.

Bryant and Jim are equally appalled to find the road ahead full of Sgt. Coulson’s police car. Will Jim be able to keep control of the car…

(quick dice roll…)

Nope.

There’s a sickening crash as the getaway car swerves and crashes into a billboard at speed, with Captain Bryant still clinging to the bonnet.

Will Captain Bryant survive the crash?

Will his colleagues make it in time, or will the gang escape?

How do the police so conveniently know what the Forty Elephants are planning in every episode?

Find out in the next thrilling instalment of “The Jewelled Tome…”

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #290 on: May 11, 2024, 01:58:07 PM »
Cool "episode" with good scenery ! Can't wait the next one  :)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #291 on: May 12, 2024, 09:22:54 PM »
Very Hollywood-style action...it breathes a Pulp feel.  :D

The Elephants should be down a half dozen or so from forty, by now... lol

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #292 on: May 12, 2024, 11:06:34 PM »
And I get hollered at for leaving people in suspense with my AAR's...now I know why,  C'mon man - get on with it!   :D

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #293 on: Today at 09:29:13 AM »
And I get hollered at for leaving people in suspense with my AAR's...now I know why,  C'mon man - get on with it!   :D

I'll get the pictures up ASAP.

I've started a new thread on the "workbench" board to keep the game reports and workbench reports separated. You can find it here:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=145486.msg1859931#msg1859931

The current project is converting a "Models of Yesteryear" Rolls-Royce into something that will hopefully end up on a  "Maximilian 1934" game with Elder Son in the near future: