Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 11:30:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. A pair of germanic heroes 4/5  (Read 63666 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. Starting on a victrix saxon project 26/4
« Reply #240 on: April 27, 2024, 03:47:46 PM »
Brilliant!

I’ve long admired and been inspired by your work.

What faction will this warband represent? Germanic People?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #241 on: April 27, 2024, 04:55:10 PM »
Brilliant!

I’ve long admired and been inspired by your work.

What faction will this warband represent? Germanic People?

Thank you! From my Middle Earth projects I've come to really appreciate a force that can be used for multiple warbands, so I am planning on building enough heathens to be able to play as Saxons, either regular or Germanic Pagans, Franks, Visigoths and even perhaps even Vikings. The Vendel finds from near Uppsala includes helmets very similar to the Sutton Hoo helmet, so I believe north germanics ca 6th century would be quite similar in appearance and the shieldmaid Hervor that I mentioned was said to command a force of goths, despite being I think jute or geat herself.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #242 on: April 27, 2024, 08:38:20 PM »
I wish that AoI Saxons could take javelin Levy and/or HG cavalry. As such, I'm going to build my Jutes so they can be played as either Saxons or Germanic People.

It is also my hope that the pending AoI FAQ will give the Saxons some love. It's a pretty good board, but feels a little weak. A few little tweaks could go a long ways. Fingers crossed.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #243 on: April 27, 2024, 10:55:06 PM »
I was about to start this post with "Nothing painted yet", but I realised it has been all of two days since the figures arrived so it should not come as a surprise.

Most of my hobby time today was spent kitbashing germanic archer levy from Victrix Late Roman and Dark Age archers. Some of the dark age archers have leg wear that seems a bit more norman or even high medieval, so I was only able to source a couple of bodies from what I had left there. The late roman archers donated the rest. I ended up using the late roman short bows, even if the dark age archer short bows perhaps would be more appropriate. It was simply easier to use the arms that went with most of the bodies.

I also couldn't quite resist having a play with the armoured Saxon sprue, and built this banner bearer:

What do you think?

Offline NTM

• Scientist
Re: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. The heathen muster continues 27/4
« Reply #244 on: April 28, 2024, 11:22:33 AM »
Really like what you're doing here and giving me a lot of ideas for my own Early Saxon warband. I've used the Gripping Beast archers but not overly impressed with them to be honest. Victrix archers have either been built as singers or converted to warriors with the exception of the ones in hose which will be used for a 1066 project. Late Roman slingers/archers are on the to buy list though I'll probably use bows from dark ages set instead. Seeing what you've done with the WGA Goths though I'm going to pick them up to provide some Saxon archers.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #245 on: April 28, 2024, 12:08:37 PM »
Really like what you're doing here and giving me a lot of ideas for my own Early Saxon warband. I've used the Gripping Beast archers but not overly impressed with them to be honest. Victrix archers have either been built as singers or converted to warriors with the exception of the ones in hose which will be used for a 1066 project. Late Roman slingers/archers are on the to buy list though I'll probably use bows from dark ages set instead. Seeing what you've done with the WGA Goths though I'm going to pick them up to provide some Saxon archers.

The WGA goths will do nicely as archers too! In fact if I didn't have spare Victrix archers, I would have probably done that. I've started painting the javelin lads, and I do understand the people that prefer WGA to Victrix in that they paint up very quickly and quite nicely. I still prefer the detail on Victrix, but it is satisfying when a mini comes together quickly without any fuss.

Offline NTM

• Scientist
« Reply #246 on: April 29, 2024, 07:17:45 AM »
Victrix will always be my first choice.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #247 on: April 29, 2024, 11:28:54 PM »
Banner bearer looks great! I’ll second WA as well, the detail is good and they are much simpler to knock together than Victrix.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #248 on: May 01, 2024, 09:21:43 PM »
Had the day off today (thank you worker's movement) and decided to organize a small event at the club. After some drop outs due to real life, we ended up being only three players and I only had a single game with my Britons against Franks. Now last time I faced these franks they destroyed my Ostrogoth rohan. They have some great abilities to activate lots of units and get really cheap bonus attack dice. Combined with a player who has an incredible knack for making way more saves than he should it felt like it was going to be an uphill battle.

Instead, as I marched up and prepared the Briton defensive abilities, I was able to make incredibly good trades. Losing 7 warriors to take out six hearthguard on the first charge of the game, having a unit of sling levy batter some Frank warriors over and over again due to solid cover, and finally shooting his warlord to death. I played the scenario better, and the increasing advantage in numbers meant there was no way for the franks to catch up on points.

And then in the evening I managed to get somy hobbying done. I have started painting the javelin levy, but it'll be a bit before they are done. In the meantime I did a bit more assembling and kitbashing.

I decided to designate the two fanciest figures from the armoured Saxons sprue as heroes and made them a warlord sabot base as well.

And then combined the remaining four with two armoured late romans to make six hearthguard.

What do you think?

Offline NTM

• Scientist
Re: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. Britons fight and saxons assemble 5/1
« Reply #249 on: May 02, 2024, 08:04:25 AM »
Looking great. Really shows how well the Victrix sets can be mixed as I wouldn't know which were the Late Roman figures if I didn't have them myself.

Offline Dean

• Scientist
  • I'd rather be gaming!
« Reply #250 on: May 02, 2024, 08:14:12 AM »
Agreed on the Victrix.  I’m in the middle of a fantasy force that mixes light Saxons, Vikings, Norman crossbows and Hoplites, the only issue was that the Normans have no necks (so I had to improvise) otherwise it all went together very nicely. 

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #251 on: May 02, 2024, 08:33:51 AM »
Always good practice to have some pre-made rolls of greenstuff from which to cut spacers in those situations :)

Offline Dean

• Scientist
  • I'd rather be gaming!
« Reply #252 on: May 02, 2024, 11:29:29 AM »
Good thinking!  I actually used a bit of sprue  lol

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2024, 10:19:33 PM »
Another little build update today. I built another version of the banner bearer chap from earlier, this version is intended as a personal champion. I also picked up a Shieldmaiden Commander by Stronghold terrain. I think she will do nicely as Hervor, who I mentioned earlier.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
Re: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. A pair of germanic heroes 4/5
« Reply #254 on: May 05, 2024, 03:43:19 PM »
Fantastic! Can’t wait to see everything painted up :)