Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:52:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Black Order - All Things End  (Read 196636 times)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Arbalests p.60
« Reply #900 on: May 07, 2022, 01:39:50 PM »
So, after playing Saga for a while, I realised I'm not a big fan of a 2-handed weapon on the Warlord. It offers you +1 to your attack dice, sure, but the downgrading to Armour 4 in melee is a bit risky - even when you boost the Warlord's durability with Lifeguards or whatever.

With that in mind...obviously it was time to build a Warlord model with a shield. Yes, I hear you scream, another bloody Warlord model. When will Tyr get this obsession out of his system :)

In fairness, I have been meaning to revisit an old version of the Black Order's eponymous leader, Tyr, for a while. I built this guy as the version I used in my foray into Rangers of Shadow Deep, Death in the Deepwood, which you can still read here:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=108013.msg1629276#msg1629276

I was never quite satisfied with him though, and to this end, set out to repurpose him in line with the original inspiration of the Warden
 from For Honor.

Here's what I came up with:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 11:32:08 PM by Knight-Captain Tyr »
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: The Black Order - The Shield of Yursgrad p.61
« Reply #901 on: May 07, 2022, 06:50:29 PM »
That's a terrific job - dripping (or rimed?) with atmosphere!

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #902 on: May 09, 2022, 08:03:57 PM »
Thanks Hobgoblin. I had a lot of fun making it, I realise people are probably bored of seeing Tyr's umpteenth incarnation, but hopefully he's got better over time :D

For something new, I threw together one of Victrix's Norman knights as I picked up the kit on a whim - they're lovely models, and the 'First Crusade' aesthetic fits the Black Order fairly well, so I thought they'd be good for the Order's serjeants.

I needed to Black Order-ise the kit a bit - a fur pelt and some chain barding on the horse, and we're good to go...now to do the other 11 of them!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #903 on: May 10, 2022, 06:32:53 AM »
I have to say, beautiful miniatures aside, that your fluff is top notch. You should publish a campaign book for a ruleset of your choice.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #904 on: May 10, 2022, 06:33:06 AM »
You always continue to amaze me with your brilliant work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #905 on: May 16, 2022, 11:55:45 PM »
Thanks Hobgoblin. I had a lot of fun making it, I realise people are probably bored of seeing Tyr's umpteenth incarnation, but hopefully he's got better over time :D

For something new, I threw together one of Victrix's Norman knights as I picked up the kit on a whim - they're lovely models, and the 'First Crusade' aesthetic fits the Black Order fairly well, so I thought they'd be good for the Order's serjeants.

I needed to Black Order-ise the kit a bit - a fur pelt and some chain barding on the horse, and we're good to go...now to do the other 11 of them!

Tell me you didn't hand carve that mail. Or did you press the putty into a pattern?
"There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love.”

― St. Bernard of Clairvaux

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #906 on: May 21, 2022, 04:42:36 PM »
Tell me you didn't hand carve that mail. Or did you press the putty into a pattern?

Ha. No, it's made using Green Stuff World's press moulds - they do one for 'wolf fur' and one for chainmail, so definitely a great investment in my case :)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #907 on: May 21, 2022, 10:40:06 PM »
That is fab work :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #908 on: May 22, 2022, 09:48:04 AM »
Thanks mate!

Me and a friend have started playing the Limes campaign from SAGA: Age of Invasions. It's a blast! We've switched it up a little and substituted the 'Barbarians' for his Jomsvikings, and the 'Romans' have become my Ordenstaat. Full photo report coming soon.

In the meantime, I got to play another game of SAGA recently, against a friend who wanted to try out the Undead. So I broke out my Undead force and pitched them agains the Black Order. Very weird having my armies on both sides of the table! Took a couple pics:

It was a great game - we've increasingly found that the historical battle boards in SAGA tend to be a lot stronger than the Magic boards. Has anyone else found this? Typically, the Magic boards' ability to use, well, actual magic helps out a lot, but the actual battle board abilities on the historical front tend to be stronger. In this case the Ordenstaat crushed the Undead resoundingly, but we're going to go for a rematch soon and switch sides.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: The Black Order - Facing the Dark p.61
« Reply #909 on: May 23, 2022, 03:09:39 AM »
Epic looking game!

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #910 on: May 30, 2022, 11:41:05 AM »
Just FANTASTIC!  :-* :-* :-*

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #911 on: May 30, 2022, 04:07:49 PM »
Thanks guys.

I've got a Limes campaign report forthcoming, using the SAGA: Age of Invasions campaign ruleset, but in the meantime here's a pic of the Black Order garrison defending against the incursions of a friend's Jomsvikings.

Knight-Captain Tyr (Warlord): No special options
8x Hearthguard: No special options
12x Warriors: Crossbows, War Banner
12x Warriors: No special options

Limes is a bit limiting initially for the "Roman" player, but hopefully I'll be able to flesh out the garrison with horses and some Levy archers in due course...

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 04:09:28 PM by Knight-Captain Tyr »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #912 on: May 30, 2022, 10:44:10 PM »
Sweet.  Looking forward to more pics and reports as you go.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #913 on: June 05, 2022, 02:10:53 PM »
I've finished rebasing my heavy cavalry for Saga - I was really keen to put these guys on 60mms, and think it's come off pretty well. The larger base size gives them a lot of weight and 'heft' that smaller sizes sometimes lack, in my humble opinion.

I've got a game booked on Weds with these guys - should be fun, looking forward to running down some Jomsvikings with Order cavalry.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #914 on: June 05, 2022, 03:33:50 PM »
Wow, they look brilliant! Great painting on excellent conversions! I think you’re right that the larger bases give the figures added presence.