Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:56:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Pirate's Ketch "Morass"  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
  • "Cthulhu fhtagn Ya'll!"
    • F.F.o.S.
The Pirate's Ketch "Morass"
« on: June 11, 2023, 02:01:55 AM »
As with most of my projects it all starts with a Pun…

This was created from the Old Glory25's American Cutter model, completely refitted, Masts moved and numerous parts from different manufactures. No one really produced a Bomb Ketch and this was as close as I could find. As with most of my models it's questionably anachronistic but unquestionably playable. 
The Chain on the Halyard is an interesting detail that I wanted to capture in the model. The volcanic plume of the belching mortar would alight any combustible line put in place to stay the main mast. There are only a few articles on line that talk about this feature and fewer examples.
There are a lot more pictures on the site: https://fistfullofseamen.blogspot.com/2023/06/the-pirates-keth-morass.html

Wingnut
Wingnut
1st Citizen of Beaverlick,WY.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Pirate's Ketch "Morass"
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 04:27:39 AM »
Fantastic looking ship. Well done and thanks for sharing!! ☠️
Regards
Hitman
😎
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 07:04:43 AM »
Splendid  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 09:30:40 AM »
Brilliant!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 03:37:13 PM »
Well done.
Love it.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 07:14:50 PM »
Very well done!

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 12:43:36 AM »
It looks a beautiful model

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 02:50:08 PM »
Well, well, well.  It seems pirates are blossoming again in many a place around the planet.  This be a good thing, methinks.

I have recently added a few very fancy 3D printed buildings (from Dungeon Artifacts) to my collections which must, as such things are meant to do, lead to a new pirate game.  However, I suspect I shall be dramatically 'down sizing' my future pirate games, something much more visually pleasing in multiple directions but not meant for as many as 32 players, more like 6-12 or so.

One must wonder if the bomb ketch "Morass" has regularl hostings of members of the distaff gender?  lol

Very fine modeling.  Wingnut's pirate games of yore are legendary - at least in my mind.  We can only hope for something new and spectacular to impact some local port of call in the not too distant future.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 06:28:20 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
    • F.F.o.S.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 09:15:36 PM »
15's Away!

It's good to see your post. Maybe a new Golden Age of Piracy is on the horizon? Are you still out on the West coast (California)? We need to get a game together at some point, I'm not getting any younger. Our next hosting is in Oklahoma City @ TwistedLords Con. on July 14-16th. There is talk in our crew to inquire with Adepticon for next year but nothing substantial has formed up.
  The Bomb Ketch was just because I couldn't get the Pun-name out of my head, so I had to kit bash the crap out of an Old Glory ship. I'm happy with the result but there was so much more I wanted to do with it.
I'm not sure how "Legendary" my games are. I feel like I tiptoe among "GIANTS" on the Lead Adventure Forum. The work here is awe-inspiring and for the most part encouraging and polite.
This may be the last push in the expansion of the Fist Full of Seamen convention show. I have 10 more ships, a Spanish fortress to build and a lot of figures to populate the boards. I want to get back to some older projects: Wild West, 25mm Battletech, a 15mm scale Full Thrust Game (No joke 4ft long ships on stands).

Wingnut
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 09:29:27 PM by Wingnut »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 07:00:15 AM »
Hey, Wingnut,

Yes, still near Sacramento area - retired for about a year now.  It would be great to get together somewhere but I keep most of my gaming in California.  Might do Enfilade up near Seattle sometime.  However, if I head out east for a trip with the wife, we might be able to make a side trip somewhere to meet up.  She wants to go back to Mount Rushmore someday soon.  This year it is more local unless we make a trip to the Philippines to see her brother and his family - maybe December (the priciest time of year!).  Next year, if all goes well, a trip to the UK for a big vacation to celebrate a milestone anniversary.

When you and I were both putting on massive pirate games about a decade ago there were around 3-5 such games being bandied about across the internet and yours was, in my view, the most visually spectacular so I think 'legendary' fits (The biggest game by square footage - and I think there is a new version this year - was in France).

Not sure if your fictional Beaverlick, Wyoming is close to where you really live but I'd love to do a more in depth tour of the Rosebud Battlefield - visited it briefly with the wife a few years back on the way to Little Bighorn but she wasn't game for the exploring I might have done on my own.  Maybe that would be a great get together, meet up in Sheridan and get acquainted and then head up to the battlefield. 

My goals this year are to get my AWI collection table ready (putting on a very small game in July at a convention near Fresno, California so that is a met goal), get my Slightly Cracked Colonials on the table - 600-700 figures and 600-700 animals painted with about another 800 or so to go.  And, my Old West/Pony Wars also ready for a game.  For the latter, I'm figuring to use Fistful of Lead: Bigger Battles.  Oh, and last year - and it's my wife's fault for wanting to take our niece to Disneyland - I gathered up quite a significant collection of Star Wars miniatures and stuff starting with a couple of purchases at the Mouse place (even had an entry in this year's LAF Build Something Contest - and lead the voting all the way to the end, from the rear!  lol).

And just tonight did a reasonable 'guesstimate' of how many figures I have painted now (not all by me by any means!) and it tipped over 10,000.  Only about triple that to go.  But I am, for all intent and purposes, done adding collections - might add an odd figure or five here and there but no more periods, just buildings and detail pieces.  I have too many already.  Oh, and I am building a 'fleet' for my pulp game, The Great and Terrible Schlong of Kong Disaster.  Shaping up to be quite the shenanigans.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 07:01:46 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
    • F.F.o.S.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 11:06:04 PM »
@ 15's
Congratulations on Retirement, More time to paint figures!
Unfortunately I'm about as close to Wyoming as I am The Caribbean... North Western Arkansas. This place isn't on the way to anywhere. It's why a majority of the games I've run have been between the Rockies and the Mississippi river. I've been wanting to expand our range but logistics are a nightmare.
Our crew is up for about one trip a year these days. The only Battlefields near here are Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove from the ACW. Not very exciting.

I saw the posting for the French Pirate game but it didn't get a follow up post? I was really wanting to see the game in action. I always enjoy their work; they inspired my game originally. 

10,000! WOW. That should be an honor by someone. I'm not going to count my figures, not because I don't want to know the quantity but the information may trigger the Environmental  Protection Agency to issue a lead contamination alert far exceeding human occupation.

Star Wars? I got into X-wing a few years back and still have a large number of Ships. As per our usual activities we built terrain.:

Wingnut

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2023, 04:04:30 PM »
Again, a very cool looking ship especially the sails!

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
    • F.F.o.S.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2023, 11:32:24 PM »
Thank all of you very much for your complements.
Is does encourage me to improve the ships each time I build a new one. I also really like to give techniques and share the experiences with this community to show that if I can do this kind of stuff anyone can. If anyone out there wants to know how I did something please ask I will do my best to explain or make a tutorial. Feel free to PM me in the forum if you don't want to publicly Post.

I hope to complete the other Sloop configuration from the same 28mm FireLock games kit next weekend, If I can get a few Real World issues attended to first. It's completion will make available 36 ships for the convention game I have scheduled July 14th & 15th In Oklahoma's Twistedlords Con.
http://twistedlordscon.com/

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2023, 12:00:12 PM »
 Beautiful looking naval craft , Wingnut   :)

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2023, 07:11:40 PM »
Great effort with these