Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 04:41:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Apothecary  (Read 3973 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
Re: Thoughts on the Apothecary
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 02:39:21 PM »
Well, looking at the rules the 'one item of each type only' rule is for magic weapons/armour and magic items, not for potions or scrolls. So no problem there.

As for the 'one item per soldier' rule, the apothecary's healing potion is part of his standard equipment, so he should be allowed to take one item in addition to that. There's no obvious reason that couldn't be a potion - even another healing potion.

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 02:44:40 PM »
Page 23 specifically states "starts each game carrying a healing potion"

It's the only piece of soldier's gear mentioned as being carried, instead of just listed.

I would put forth that this wording was intentional, as it could have just as easily been listed as "starts each game with a healing potion"

To me at least, this sounds like an intentional decision in language use to prevent the Apothacary from carrying anything else, at least until the potion is used.

If this is the case, it would prevent the Apothacary from carrying a second potion.

EDIT: I just asked Joe for clarification of this in the FAQ thread.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:51:38 PM by Awesome Adam »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »
I don't think the rules are written in that sort of Magic: the gathering keyword style, so I doubt that was the intention. But we'll see what Joe says!  :)

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 03:26:54 PM »
I'm used to playing with people who delight in Rules Lawyering like it is it's own special mini-game.

Joe agreed, that since it's starting gear, they can still carry 1 item.

Which is how I would have played it. While looking up the exact rules I noticed how it was worded, and that made me question it for a minute.

Offline Mr Vampire

• Bookworm
  • May or may not be wearing pants.
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 03:34:01 PM »
I too like the idea of apothecaries lugging around all sorts of potions and is how I picture one. I think that's partly why it bugs me that they only have one as standard. Well, it looks like an apothecary can have two healing potions.  Still not a lot considering that's it's specialty, if you ask me. But no one is.

Thanks for all thoughts thus far people. I think you've more or less sold me on the merits of including an apothecary (even if they are just a drinks waiter). Anyway, here's Blakey, the On the Busses Apothecary.

It's from Ral Partha. Nice codpiece too.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 03:42:44 PM by Mr Vampire »